New guy alert. 01 Yukon XL 2500

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If yours still has the sticker in the glove box that will tell you the ratio. I posted a link in a different thread to the master list of GM codes, don't think I can post the PDF here, as it's too large (it's like 160 pages!)

rayra

Expedition Leader
Bronze I think you better reconsider your 18" wheel / sidewall concerns and come at it from the opposite direction. How much lift you need or are willing to pay for, how much ground clearance you need / want and then figure your tire height size and THEN your rim size. I think you 'll find that 18" tires are prohibitively expensive to anyone but a Bro that's more fixated on looks over function.
You'll also find more tire options available in a 16" or 17" rim size.

And you will have tire rubbing issues around a 33" tire. At least on a 1500. I'm not sure how much more clearance a 2500 will have to begin with.

If you're prospecting I presume you'll be down into rock strewn areas, streambeds, washes, similar to the desert terrains around SoCal. I'd look into a skid plate / protection for the transfer case as well something like a yoke skidplate.

I'm also looking around for solutions for relocating my rear shock lower attachment points on my Sub, they really hang down quite a bit in a bad spot for negotiating boulder fields.

You'll likely also want to consider some beefier aftermarket tie rod ends.

Look in the Storage subforum for lots of great designs for cargo storage, and the other subforums for lots of other great ideas for living and working out of your vehicle.

Bronze

Whether its "17 or "18 wheels, I dont know if a "16 will clear the brakes. I'll be going with a steel wheel.

Are skid plates something that can be bought or do most people roll their own with those?

I did notice the low hanging shock tower on the factory set up. Its a point of concern.

ETA: I also wonder if there is an option for a second fuel tank. I'd love to have another 30 gallons available at the flip of a switch. I am pretty sure it would fit on the other side of the rig

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Bronze, welcome to the site. I love your rig:Wow1: and if you ever need any camo piant gone let me know...

Here is a pic of my rig and the rattle can camo I did on her. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Bronze

I've debated a cam job on it. I'm torn, but paint is a ways off at this point. Do love your truck though. Had one just like it in the 90's
Loved that truck.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
16" will clear the brakes, GM used them on the 2500 trucks until 2010. Save yourself some bucks on tires and wheels going with a smaller size, and get some extra sidewall. What size wheel is on the truck now?

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I've had 34" tire (285/75/17) on my 2wd 1500 HD with the torsion bars turned up, didnt bother with those leveling keys, still rode well. I trimmed the front of the plastic wheel liner on drivers side up to the washer jug and took the plastic retainers out of the rear bottom of the fender. It only gently rubbed at the rear. I'd probably go with a bigger tire and trim the back of the fender in the future, something like a 315/75/16 or 285/75/18 but needs to be load range E, and l would need to lose the 3.73 gears, I still tow my 30' trailer with this truck.

mccustomize

Explorer
The 2500 and 3500 trucks sit 1.25" taller than the 1500 series, so with a leveling kit you should be able to run an all terrain 33x12.50x18. If you still tow occasionally I would keep the 18" wheels, towing with large, soft sidewalls can be a nerve racking experience. I would however stick to 17" and up for sure.

Something like these would work great for you I think.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Thom...ash=item5d5e42d84b:g:q2AAAOSw14xWJRf7&vxp=mtr

Saves you the cost of buying new wheels as well. I'm sure you will have some minor trimming to do on the front bumper and maybe back of the fender but it's the sacrifice unless you pony up the money for a 4" lift. A 4" on 315/70s (34.25" tall) would be a really nice setup but then you get into the re-gearing territory especially if you tow a 30' trailer. Cognito makes great upgrades for the steering and the same skid plates for the 2500 trucks will work on your Yukon XL as far as the front and transfer case goes but as far as I know there are no manufacturers of aftermarket skid plates, they would have to be custom made.

BTW flat black will be miserable to keep somewhat clean, don't do it, it doesn't hide dirt at all.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Agreed on colour with mccustomize. Matte black is so overdone. Matte Cummins beige or something like that would be cool, and goes alot better with the gold jambs and underhood. I'd also like matte charcoal.
I'm always a fan of "different" paint, ugly paint, paint that is more stealthy. Im doing my duramax project in Toyota/scion cement gray, minus the metallic. Saves some money this way too.
I've always wanted a truck in that forestry service green.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I've debated a cam job on it. I'm torn, but paint is a ways off at this point. Do love your truck though. Had one just like it in the 90's
Loved that truck.

Thanks Bronze. And remember I could always come down to Washington in the summer and paint some camo for you...:ylsmoke:

Dma251

I like your rig! I am doing about the same thing with my Suburban. I wheel in the forests around Snohomish county too, and find that our NW forest roads favor narrower-track and short wheel-base vehicles. Most of the time I take my suburban out it seems like I get in some side-tipping situation where I worry I might roll over. To reduce this I've always preferred the keep my height mods in the 2"+ range and run really aggressive tires with locking-diffs and skidplates/rails. Sway-bar disconnects help with the droop. The lockers will get you over and through most anything at a nice slow pace, and you don't have to subject the drivetrain to shock-loads from the powerful motor and heavier tires.

Everything is happier and closer to it's designed load, which is much more important to me in a expedition vehicle. I'm after what will be reliable and field-repairable.

I want to get a CVT Shasta RTT soon, and that's going to add 150Lbs. up high where I don't want it too. When I was a teenager it was all about huge tires and big lifts, but they were scary to drive in off-camber situations. now I like dual lockers, low, flexy lift with lots of travel, and a smooth underside. Keep the COG as low as possible.

Not trying to highjack your thread with my own details, just giving you my .02 cents worth since our GMT800 plans sound similar. That, and we work together
Damon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob