New Member, New Build...2001 Chevy Tahoe

2001BlueTahoe

Hello, Im new to the site. I was referred by 02TahoeMD. I have come here to hopefully get some help along the way as I build my 2001 Tahoe into a full-on and capable off-road rig.

I have already began the process and have done some minor things.

Current List:

265/75/16 BFG AT KO's. (Upgrade from 245/75/16's)
Stream-Light (Wired in with mobile charger for constant charge)
Midland 1001Z CB Radio
MB Motoring / Discount tire "Gunner 6" Rims (16x8)
Spectre Speed CAI

On top of those I also have some audio upgrades as well. This includes, Pioneer Premier Head Unit, and 4X 6022SI Infinity Reference speakers.

As far as the future planned mods go-

Yakima Roof-Rack W/ High-Lift jack adapter
2" Leveling keys (For more ground clearance)
Replacement front bumper
Replacement Rear Bumper
Full Air system (For airing up tires between trail runs)

Im sure I have missed a couple things in my lists but I will be sure to add them as time goes. Looking forward to learning some more and picking your brains a little.

Thanks,
Taylor

davis38

Welcome to Expedition Portal! There are plenty of brains to pick on this site, and theres definately a level of courtesy here missing from other forums. It sounds like your build is gonna be nice and practical. Hopefully we get to see some pics soon. Again, welcome!

MONSTA

Honestly, you should run 285s minimum.

Buy your leveling keys from Ford. You need the ones from the same vintage F-150. Should be less than $40 for the pair.

You also need to dial up Bullet Proof Steering or Cognito Motorsports to upgrade your tie rods at a minimum. The idler arm should be upgraded as well for any semi-serious off-road work.

2001BlueTahoe

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Monsta, I thought about that AFTER I got my 265's put on. But during that time I just needed some new tires due to the fact I was riding rims from the old street radials the last owner had put on. Also, Thanks for the links for the upgraded steering parts! I will defiantly be putting a set of new tie-rods on!

As for the keys I was debating whether to go for the Ford Keys or just the Ebay keys? They are the same price but I have been told that the Ford keys get a little more lift?

I'll be sure to throw some pictures up and soon as I get a chance!

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
I would run 285's too. If I had to buy another set of 285's I'd love to try Treadwright re-treads.

If you intend to air down, you want the taller tire, because at lower pressures you are also at lower height.

I'll be following. Throw up some pics. Even if mostly stock.

2001BlueTahoe

Treadwrights? Never heard of them but will do some research. As far my next tires will go will probably be the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I have heard nothing but good on those tires.

Anyway, my next plans are to begin the search for the Air-System parts. Instead of buying a new tank I was thinking about finding a tank or some sort in the scrap yard and cleaning it up and using it. Will save me some money and might hold a little more air then the tanks you can buy.

As far as the air compressor goes I will order a medium-duty from horn blasters. They seem to be the cheapest on price and best customer service.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Treadwrights? Never heard of them but will do some research. As far my next tires will go will probably be the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I have heard nothing but good on those tires.

Anyway, my next plans are to begin the search for the Air-System parts. Instead of buying a new tank I was thinking about finding a tank or some sort in the scrap yard and cleaning it up and using it. Will save me some money and might hold a little more air then the tanks you can buy.

As far as the air compressor goes I will order a medium-duty from horn blasters. They seem to be the cheapest on price and best customer service.

I've never heard a bad review on the tread wright re-treads. There is allot of info out there, I think you would be surprised.

As air compressors go, another cheap alternative I've also heard good things about is the large 12v compressor from Harbor Freight.

A York based on board air would be nice, but not sure if you would have the room underhood for it.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Welcome aboard Taylor. I used the Ford F150 keys for my lift and am happy with them, cant complain about the price, I think they were $23 each at my local dealer. You will probably want to add one or two inch coil spacers as well.

Without the lift, you can put 285s under there easily, and with the keys cranked and spacers you can put 295s or true 33s under there too, with some room to spare. I currently run Nitto Terra Grapplers in 295/70/R17 and am very happy with them. I had to trim a bit of the inner wheel wells out to avoid rubbing at lock during turning, but that is it.

Post up some pics! Always nice to see another Chevy guy join up.

2001BlueTahoe

Welcome aboard Taylor. I used the Ford F150 keys for my lift and am happy with them, cant complain about the price, I think they were $23 each at my local dealer. You will probably want to add one or two inch coil spacers as well.

Without the lift, you can put 285s under there easily, and with the keys cranked and spacers you can put 295s or true 33s under there too, with some room to spare. I currently run Nitto Terra Grapplers in 295/70/R17 and am very happy with them. I had to trim a bit of the inner wheel wells out to avoid rubbing at lock during turning, but that is it.

Post up some pics! Always nice to see another Chevy guy join up.

Ok, Thanks for the information on the tires. I wasn't sure if I could fit a 295 Even with spacers and keys. To me, the bigger, the better! This also should give me some extra ground clearance.

Wow, This list keeps getting bigger! lol... But I guess you can never have TOO many modifications right?! First thing though is I need to let these other BFG's wear down before I change them out.

Yup, I like seeing other Tahoe's hitting the trails! I think the 20" Rims and lowered Tahoe is to common. Time to change it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3