New member, new Toyota

MGRS

I was stuck with a 2wd '00 Ranger for a long time and after a few months on active duty, I could afford a new pickup.

2wd was out of the question as I can't remember the number of times I got that Ranger stuck. I used to off-road a bit when I was younger with my dad in a '77 diesel Scout II. That truck was bone stock and I remember it taking some nasty abuse.

I had a lot of fun then, and would like to be able to do similar. Now, I would never put any stock modern pickup through what that scout did, and my goal is not exactly serious rock crawling or technical trail driving- I just want something that will get me back into somewhat difficult locations for car camping and hunting.

I knew Toyota's reputation and was looking mostly at used 01-04 Tacoma xtracab v6 trucks. I hunted for 4 months without finding any clean examples with a manual transmission and under 60k miles that weren't sold by the time I could go see them.

Somehow I ended up with a brand new '08, pictured here in an AAFES parking lot right after I picked it up.

truckandroad089.jpg

All the local dealerships had in v6 manual 4x4 were TRD. This one must be a promotional TRD or something, with the black wheels, "Rugged Trail" rubber, and mountain sticker. Not really necessary, but whatever. I think I got a decent deal on it.

My question here, are there any problem areas I should watch out for or replace immediately on this pickup? I doubt it will be as tough as an older taco, but folks will always say the last model was best. I would like to own this one for a while, however, and hope it holds up. I have not been able to do any trail driving yet on my way across country, but imagine there might be some opportunities once I am moved in at Huachuca (near Tuscon).

Thanks in advance.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hey, I can't comment on the '08 but if you got a good deal I'd say enjoy it.

Also wanted to give a shout out from another Huachuca veteran. I did my MI AIT (96B) there in 1987 (gawd that makes me feel old!) and BNCOC in 1993. When I was there for BNCOC I had a Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 and used it to explore a lot of the back country.

That's gorgeous country down there. Have a good time exploring it!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nice pick up (pun intended). Never seen one with the black wheels before, nor the mountain stickers below the TRD stickers (I'm guessing that's what I'm looking at there). Nothing wrong with the 08's, especially for your intended expedition travels.

MGRS

Martinjmpr said:
Hey, I can't comment on the '08 but if you got a good deal I'd say enjoy it.

Also wanted to give a shout out from another Huachuca veteran. I did my MI AIT (96B) there in 1987 (gawd that makes me feel old!) and BNCOC in 1993. When I was there for BNCOC I had a Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 and used it to explore a lot of the back country.

That's gorgeous country down there. Have a good time exploring it!

Like I said, I was originally looking for 01-04s but so far I am very happy with the truck and how it drives (on road, at least). Time will tell how it holds up. Got it for 6500 off sticker and did not have to pay sales tax as I bought in Georgia and registered in Ohio.

Branched 35D here- I tried to pick up a branch detail in Infantry, but no luck. HRC is a PITA about that anymore. Just came from BOLC II and am going on to MIOBC. Only a five jump chump here though :(

Cackalak Han said:
Nice pick up (pun intended). Never seen one with the black wheels before, nor the mountain stickers below the TRD stickers (I'm guessing that's what I'm looking at there).

Thanks, like I said I think it must be a promotional edition. I had not seen any like it before and the salesman said it was the "Trail Edition." It has the same core specifications as the existing TRD, to my knowledge. Differences are all fluff: black wheels, tires, decal, and black fender flares.

Nothing wrong with the 08's, especially for your intended expedition travels.

Researching after buying, I see more and more in different communities about the inferiority of the 05+ Tacos in this type of application. I'm traditionally a luddite as well, but how far do you go?

MGRS said:
Thanks, like I said I think it must be a promotional edition. I had not seen any like it before and the salesman said it was the "Trail Edition." It has the same core specifications as the existing TRD, to my knowledge. Differences are all fluff: black wheels, tires, decal, and black fender flares.

They tried something "different" in 2008 and you could get them anywhere. There was no real point to the changes. It's just another version of the Off Road setup to try and bring in people to buy them because they looked rugged with the black wheels and ugly mountain sticker.

Researching after buying, I see more and more in different communities about the inferiority of the 05+ Tacos in this type of application. I'm traditionally a luddite as well, but how far do you go?

Most of the people who bash the new Tacomas are pre 05 owners who are pissed that they changed what they loved. Its one thing not to like a rig because it does not suit you, but its another thing to say the new Tacomas suck. This conversation comes up all the time. The new Tacomas are really just wider, but the difference is not as extreme as people make it out to be. The new Tacomas have proved time and time again that they are just as capable as the older Toyota Trucks. Check peoples build threads, check trip reports, etc. They are fantastic trucks. People are just in denial:peepwall:

Last edited:

RoundOut

Explorer
Welcome to the board and THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY! My family sure appreciates it!

Great looking new Taco!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Streakerfreak said:
Most of the people who bash the new Tacomas are pre 05 owners who are pissed that they changed what they loved. Its one thing not to like a rig because it does not suit you, but its another thing to say the new Tacomas suck. This conversation comes up all the time. The new Tacomas are really just wider, but the difference is not as extreme as people make it out to be. The new Tacomas have proved time and time again that they are just as capable as the older Toyota Trucks. Check peoples build threads, check trip reports, etc. They are fantastic trucks. People are just in denial:peepwall:

I think this is pretty accurate. My specific gripes with the '05+ are that IMO it's not as good looking as the 1st gen Tacoma (which is a subjective thing) and that they did away with the manually shifted T-case. I'm not thrilled about the plastic bed, either, but that's really not a serious gripe, more of an irrational prejudice - it's not like I haul rocks in mine.

People complained about the Tacoma when it replaced the Hilux in 1995, IIRC, saying much of the same thing: Toyota is compromising off-road ability in favor of comfort and convenience, it's too big, etc etc. The more things change, the more they stay the same. My hope is that by the time the next body style change rolls around Toyota will heed the demand for a more economical vehicle and hopefully offer one with a 4 cyl turbo diesel. I'd like to see a manually shifted T-case option, too, but that's probably not going to happen (although if there's enough demand the aftermarket may step in.)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
MGRS said:
Branched 35D here- I tried to pick up a branch detail in Infantry, but no luck. HRC is a PITA about that anymore. Just came from BOLC II and am going on to MIOBC. Only a five jump chump here though :(

Oh no! A LT with a map and compass! :D

The four scariest things you'll hear in the Army:

1. A Private saying "They taught me this in basic..."

2. A Second Lieutenant saying "Based on my experience..."

3. A Captain saying "I have an idea..."

4. And a Warrant Officer saying "Watch this ********..." ;)

Seriously, it sounds like you've got a good setup there and you'll be there at a good time of the year. Winters can get cold and occasional snow but it always warms up during the day. Lots of trails to explore. Check out the Chiricaua (sp) national monument area and the forests up to the Northeast.

Where are you going after Huachuca? Do you know yet?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Martinjmpr said:
they did away with the manually shifted T-case. I'm not thrilled about the plastic bed, either, but that's really not a serious gripe, more of an irrational prejudice - it's not like I haul rocks in mine.
I would like to see an option of a manual xfer, too.

As far as hauling junk, between the original owner and me, my truck has seen it's fair share of use for it's purpose. The guy I bought it from built wooden canoes and I've done lots of remodeling and landscaping on two houses now. We both threw bikes, boats, skis and camping gear in it. My bed looks like cr*p, dented, bent, mis-shaped, a mix of raw metal, primer, rough paint and rust on the inside. The tailgate has a deep bow on the inside. IOW, if the plastic inner of the new bed is mechanically strong enough to drop 35 2x4s or 15 bags of quikcrete onto, that it won't end looking like a 6 year old took a sledge to it like mine, that is a good think if you ask me. I have my doubts that with UV and chemical spills that a plastic bed will go the distance, but that remains to be seen. The one REALLY nice thing about Hilux beds is the front panel, the one behind the cab, is bolted on and can be replaced without cutting and rewelding the bed. Friggin' genius if you ask me.

MGRS

Streakerfreak said:
They tried something "different" in 2008 and you could get them anywhere. There was no real point to the changes. It's just another version of the Off Road setup to try and bring in people to buy them because they looked rugged with the black wheels and ugly mountain sticker.

Agreed on the ugliness of the mountain sticker. I may get around to trimming it or removing the decals altogether. I don't mind the black fender flares as there is no paint on them to scratch and replacements *ought* to be cheaper. Finally and most importantly, this edition was the only access cab TRD with a 6spd manual I could find locally and work the dealer down to a better price.

Yes, and I see after posting how common that debate has become. There was no pot-stirring intent here.

Echoing others here, I wish I could have gotten a manual t-case. There is no new compact/midsize offering this, to my knowledge. If the aftermarket picks this up, I will consider it. My dad's work runs a fleet of domestic full sizes and compacts. I hope my electric t-case holds up better than theirs. A turbodiesel would have been nice as well, but I would be dreaming.

Way off topic, but speaking of TD compact pickups, Indian Mahindra will be introducing one stateside some time between 2010 and 2011.

Martinjmpr said:
Oh no! A LT with a map and compass!

The four scariest things you'll hear in the Army:

1. A Private saying "They taught me this in basic..."

2. A Second Lieutenant saying "Based on my experience..."

3. A Captain saying "I have an idea..."

4. And a Warrant Officer saying "Watch this ********..."

Seriously, it sounds like you've got a good setup there and you'll be there at a good time of the year. Winters can get cold and occasional snow but it always warms up during the day. Lots of trails to explore. Check out the Chiricaua (sp) national monument area and the forests up to the Northeast.

Where are you going after Huachuca? Do you know yet?

Well, you have to start somewhere. I have only been on active duty since 02 JUN and already been on the receiving end of a few GFIs from O3s through O6s.

Just got in to Huachuca yesterday. Beautiful area that sure beats Benning, scenery-wise. I am a "hold under" until class starts next week. I have plenty of time to get my travel pay fixed and do some research on locations in AZ.

After this, my orders say I am going to the 66th MI BDE in Germany. I going to apply to go to Ranger school after this, however, and try to get picked up by a BN instead. We'll see.

Going back to the truck, some things I have noticed so far after 2600 miles on it:

1) Transmission is still wearing in, I hope. It's a bit rough from 1st through 3rd gears. I.E., there is a significant amount of resistance putting the truck into gear through that range no matter how slow I shift. It's like I can feel a strong vibration as the sync hubs engage.

2) I only had myself and 400 lbs in the truck, but the rear end bottomed out going over bumps. With just the load and not the driver, the rear end sank a good 2.5 inches. I would hate to see (or drive) the truck with the mfg's max payload in the back.

3) Even with only the access cab, there is still a significant amount of room behind the front seats. The suicide doors are very nice for loading this area and make it more functional. I may put a mat down, however, because I do not trust the fabric on the back of the fold-down jump seats to hold up.

4) The sport seats are very comfortable. I think the interior in general is well designed although I do not really need 9 cupholders. Some of them will hold a 32 oz nalgene, which is good. A negative is that some of the plastic is easily scratched. The vents also blow even when switched to "off." Is this normal?

5) This might also be a wearing-in issue on the brakes, but I do not think that, even unloaded, the truck comes to a stop as well as my old Ranger.

6) The 4L V6 has a good amount of power compared to the truck weight. Mileage has varied with driving conditions from a high of 21.6 (89 octane at 65-70 mph) to a low of 17.4 (87 octane at 80-90 mph on I-10W). All calculations include 400lbs of my crap in the back. I bet it will get better as the engine breaks in and I run an unloaded truck.

Long post....

T-hacha-P

Observer
Quote:
"The vents also blow even when switched to "off." Is this normal? [...] I do not think that, even unloaded, the truck comes to a stop as well as my old Ranger."

My 07 Access cab does the same thing with the vents. I don't know if it's normal, but it is a minor annoyance. Unless I'm driving past one of California's many scenic dairies: then it's a major annoyance.

My biggest gripe with these trucks are the brakes. I've found my brakes have two settings-mush, and ABS. My recommendation is to stand on the pedal with both feet as soon as you start thinking you might need to slow down at some point in your future. But you get used to it.

heeltoe989

Explorer
T-hacha-P said:
Quote:
"The vents also blow even when switched to "off." Is this normal? [...] I do not think that, even unloaded, the truck comes to a stop as well as my old Ranger."

My 07 Access cab does the same thing with the vents. I don't know if it's normal, but it is a minor annoyance. Unless I'm driving past one of California's many scenic dairies: then it's a major annoyance.

My biggest gripe with these trucks are the brakes. I've found my brakes have two settings-mush, and ABS. My recommendation is to stand on the pedal with both feet as soon as you start thinking you might need to slow down at some point in your future. But you get used to it.

No brake problems here....thought they work very well even very loaded. Then I changed to DOT 5 Race fluid, works even better. Sounds like your brakes could use a good bleeding.

MGRS

heeltoe989 said:
No brake problems here....thought they work very well even very loaded. Then I changed to DOT 5 Race fluid, works even better. Sounds like your brakes could use a good bleeding.

I have been driving around town quite a bit in the last couple days (nothing to do yet) and am pleased to say that the brakes are feeling better (or maybe I am getting used to them) and the transmission is getting smoother.

The previous 2500 or so miles were almost all highway, so I did not do much shifting or braking....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__