New Pop Up owner with question

DEnd

Observer
I think the thing to do is a video test like Truckcamper magazine did. http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/lance-cabover-strut-test-and-review That will let you see just how much porpoising you are actually having. If you want to get really fancy you can tape a ruler to the side of the camper so that it is visible and put a mark on the window or windshield to get a measurement (via the camera our heads move around way to much to get an accurate measurement that way). Almost all pick-up trucks have some bounce in the middle, and though the amount tends to be less these days it is still present.

I just noticed you are in Spartanburg I'm just up the road from you in Shelby, NC.

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
cab-over shoacks

for camper bounce check the thread by cuttyy, for the kind of shocks that help stop bounce, just FYI=brian

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Jeff,

If you are looking at Fox shocks, look at the 3500 series, not the 2500 (verify that the mounts are the same) as you are carrying a lot of weight. At Overland EXPO I noted that they now offer various adjustment options. Very expensive to retrofit, but probably worth it buying new.

FWIW: Earthroamer uses King shocks, but I don't see RAM applications listed.

First thing you have to do is trace the bump - is it cabover wobble? Hadn't thought of that, but that may be what I am noticing on certain seamed concrete. (Makes sense, as the Malayan Tiger's cabover is no longer bonded to the cab roof, as was the case with the Bengal.) Is it loose camper mounts? Or is it suspension bottoming, etc.

Better shocks can probably help all but loose mounts.

Good luck and congrats on the new camper!

escadventure

Adventurer
Hey Terra, I really like your camper.

Let us know what turns out with your porpoising issue. Mine does it a little also. I was thinking to get new shocks.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Jeff,

If you are looking at Fox shocks, look at the 3500 series, not the 2500 (verify that the mounts are the same) as you are carrying a lot of weight. At Overland EXPO I noted that they now offer various adjustment options. Very expensive to retrofit, but probably worth it buying new.

FWIW: Earthroamer uses King shocks, but I don't see RAM applications listed.

First thing you have to do is trace the bump - is it cabover wobble? Hadn't thought of that, but that may be what I am noticing on certain seamed concrete. (Makes sense, as the Malayan Tiger's cabover is no longer bonded to the cab roof, as was the case with the Bengal.) Is it loose camper mounts? Or is it suspension bottoming, etc.

Better shocks can probably help all but loose mounts.

Good luck and congrats on the new camper!
Yeah,Don offers King 2.5's for a good price complete with his towers for the 2012-. He just released a coil and Fox shock for the 13-14's. This coil is softer and I wouldn't want that with a camper.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
You Will Remember ...

that I lamented that certain roads, mostly seamed concrete interstates, could induce a pitch or porpoise movement in my Malayan Tiger. The Malayan differs from the Bengal in a couple of key areas:

-- The Bengal camper is welded to the frame with six cross pieces; the Malayan is mounted on a sub frame with two bolts just behind the cab and a pivot at the rear end of the frame, like a dump truck.
-- The Bengal cabover is smaller and bolted to the roof of the truck cab; the Malayan is larger and cantilevered out from the main camper box.

While I have not measured or seen it, I suspect that there is more movement of the Malayan camper, relative to the truck frame, than with your Bengal.

You noticed your Phoenix cabover wobbling. If I had to bet, I suspect that you are feeling a bit the same thing that I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk