New slow buildup in Alberta

Willman

First...Welcome to the ExPo!

Thanks for the orders!

Your going to love your ARE and ARB goodies!

I'm on a limited budget but was looking at:
- a canopy (likely a Leer, ARE or Snugtop, given the availability of dealers somewhat nearby)
- or on-board air compressor (like the idea of a air locker down the road)
- a dual battery system

Dual battery system.....The National Luna is a great system

You might also think about adding some extra lights......Light Force sure does the job! 170's are a great light with a nice price

I would also have a nice box of spare parts like belts, fuses, oil, grease, etc...

More here - Arctic Ocean Expedition

:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Dr_Unk

hello, i know your going to the dempster but this may be of interest. some guys from BC Roverlanders just got back from the Canol Road and here are some pics of their trip. also look up the write up in their forum...looks like a great trip.

http://roverlanders.bc.ca/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album233

anyway you should see some similar scenery but a little colder i bet. enjoy your trip and be safe.

Wow, that's a hardcore trip. Don't expect to get into much trouble like that. In the future with a few more mods or if I was crazy enough to ship the landcruiser across the pacific.....

I'm hoping to do my best to post pics and have a few write-ups every couple of days of the trip.

Dr_Unk

Install of ARB Compressor

So the morning that we were supposed to leave for a 2 week trip to the Yukon and the Dempster Highway, I decided I'd install the ARB Compressor that had arrived a week earlier.

I got up at 7am and gathered together all my tools and headed out to the truck. I'd already figured out where I wanted to mount the thing - on the driver side fender under the hood. Now I just had to get at it.

I figured I'd budgeted enough time (several hours) as I'd read from other posts that it was a pretty painless install with the supplied wiring harness and mounting plate.

Now I don't have lockers (yet) but they are in the future when budgeting allows. For now, I just wanted to have it for any tire issues that might arise on lonesome stretches of highway in the north. I'd picked up the ARB kit that includes the hose and fittings for tire inflation.

What I didn't count on was having a poorly machined fitting provided. I tried screwing the T-joint into the compressor only to discover that the threads were not sharp. This was, of course discovered after I'd made a mess of the internal threads on the compressor housing. I blame the fact that I hadn't had any coffee yet.

I was lucky enough to remember that my landlord had a tap and die set so I managed to clean the threads up a bit and hopefully with the application of teflon taping, provide a decent seal.

I wanted to get everything attached to the compressor before I mounted in the engine bay. I followed ARB's suggestion and used the mounting plate as a drill guide and put four holes in my fender. It was slightly annoying trying to get the four carriage bolts to slide through the four holes but they eventually did. I was then presented with the enjoyable task of tightening the nuts while the carriage bolts insisted on spinning. I found that prying the mount plate against the nuts provided enough pressure to keep the bolts locked in place so that I could tighten a nut enough to move to the next one and slowly work all four into final position.

The next nightmare (at least for me) was feeding the wiring harness connection through the firewall. The majority of the wires pass through in a big bundle that is sealed up tightly and I didn't want to disturb that so I passed the connections through the hole where the hood release cable lives. I give kudos to anyone who is an auto-electrician. I do not have the patience required for threading wires in tight situations. At some points, I realized that with a pair of long-handled needle-nosed pliers a lot of my issues would have been alleviated but I did not have a pair so I used another tool to get me through it - cursing, and loudly.

Eventually I got it through but at this point I had had enough of the job and gave up on trying to finish the job. The only thing left was to install the switch in the dash and splice it into a power source and a dash-dimming light source. I figured that with a major service planned the next day in Dawson Creek, I'd just get them to finish it off as they'd have a much better idea of what wires to be looking for.

I later regretted this decision as they did do a nice job of the install, but were unable to get to a dash-dimming light source without pulling out the dash. The other aspect that contributed to the regret was that the job apparently took them 1.4h at the staggering shop rate of $120/h. OUCH!

I now realize that it's always better to just spend the money on the tools needed for the job and invest the time yourself than to waste cash on the stealership. Don't get me wrong, I value the service that Toyota provides, it's just not worth it unless it's a major issue I couldn't eventually figure out myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner