New Tacoma vs Colorado vs Ranger

jaywo

The manual for the Tacoma got released.

A basic TRD offroad has 1200 payload. That’s without any off road goodies and without any package.

The fact that the TRD off road has 1200 payload and yet they charge you 55K is absurd. this eliminates the off road for me. If the TH doesn’t cut it I am getting a ZR2. And don’t forget that 1200 is a base offroad! Add the premium package with moonroof and all the tech and enjoy your 1000lbs payload! Absurd.
The Ranger Raptor gets 1450 and the ZR2 gets a poor 1250, but at least it has dual lockers, rock sliders and that’s fully loaded. With the same equipment you would be below 1000lbs on the Trd off road

jaywo

What is the transmission in the 2023 Colorado and Canyon?

8 speed transmission (8L90)?

Mine is becoming a PITA in the Silverado

8L90 yes. What issue are you having? At least there is less torque to handle in the midsize

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The manual for the Tacoma got released.

A basic TRD offroad has 1200 payload. That’s without any off road goodies and without any package.

The fact that the TRD off road has 1200 payload and yet they charge you 55K is absurd. this eliminates the off road for me. If the TH doesn’t cut it I am getting a ZR2. And don’t forget that 1200 is a base offroad! Add the premium package with moonroof and all the tech and enjoy your 1000lbs payload! Absurd.
The Ranger Raptor gets 1450 and the ZR2 gets a poor 1250, but at least it has dual lockers, rock sliders and that’s fully loaded. With the same equipment you would be below 1000lbs on the Trd off road
I’ve seen 9xxlbs on a TuRD Sport long bed a couple years ago. I couldn’t believe it.

D45

Explorer
8L90 yes. What issue are you having? At least there is less torque to handle in the midsize

Just seems to have low rpm and low speed operating issues

I just hit 100,000 miles and it acts up now and then. I'm just concerned about long term reliability

Alot of the tranx shops in my area say the 8 speed is not solid and reliable

Two friends just had major issues, one a complete and unexpected rebuild at 125,000 and the other is in the stop every 3-4 months for shudder and torque converter issues

Moyshe Kapoyer

Out of those 3, I'd go with the Ranger Raptor. The 3.0 Nano is a beast of an engine and very over built. I'd imagine it's going to be like all the other Ecoboost motors where aftermarket tuning results in a nice jump in HP TQ. If you run a custom E85 tune it will be a pretty dramatic increase in power.

jaywo

Out of those 3, I'd go with the Ranger Raptor. The 3.0 Nano is a beast of an engine and very over built. I'd imagine it's going to be like all the other Ecoboost motors where aftermarket tuning results in a nice jump in HP TQ. If you run a custom E85 tune it will be a pretty dramatic increase in power.
Problem is impossible to get at least where I am at

Moyshe Kapoyer

What makes you say it's overbuilt? It's a bored and stroked 2.7L with a cast aluminum block replacing the compacted-graphite iron block.
Look at the Explorer STs that have 500+ whp on a internally stock 3.0 that are daily drivers. At ~20% drivetrain loss, that puts them at 600HP at the crank, which is a pretty sizeable jump from stock, and they handle it with out issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater