New Tacoma vs Colorado vs Ranger

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I have a 4D Badlands with Sasquatch and Lux package and hardtop. 16K miles already including a ton of road trips and offroad. I would not change a thing with the options. Using the Lux features everyday, and Sasquatch is an absolute no brainer to get 35s, proper gearing, strong axle etc.
The 2.7 is super smooth and a joy to use both on and off road. The seats are incredibly comfortable.

Super happy with the Bronco overall. It works perfect for overlanding for a couple, using a RTT, a cargo shelf, a goosegear kitchen setup and fridge skide. If you camp with kids though and want to have the full setup (RTT, Kitchen, fridge slide) you will want a trailer or go with a truck + light camper which is what I am going to do eventually. If no kids I would keep the Bronco.

It really is an amazing vehicle except for these:
- wind noise
- plastic hard top. I would have preferred a regular top like on a 4runner which would also solve wind noise.

He is mostlikely wrong. Toyota said the Hybrid gets 1700, but that’s going to be the most basic possible hybrid, not the fully loaded trailhunter.
Possibly, but there is a video floating around with the tacoma engineer saying the trail hunter will have the highest payload as well.

sn_85

Observer
Possibly, but there is a video floating around with the tacoma engineer saying the trail hunter will have the highest payload as well.

Interesting. That would make sense though since the trail hunter is their "overland" spec and that it would have the highest payload of all the trims.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Interesting. That would make sense though since the trail hunter is their "overland" spec and that it would have the highest payload of all the trims.
Yes, but off-road biased suspension is usually softer and payload usually suffers.
It'll be interesting to see the real world payload numbers on all the trims.

sn_85

Observer
Yes, but off-road biased suspension is usually softer and payload usually suffers.
It'll be interesting to see the real world payload numbers on all the trims.

True and I wonder if this is the distinction between the TRD Pro which will undoubtedly have softer spring rates vs the Trailhunter which maybe is tuned for more weight. Obviously we'll have to wait until some more details to see how true the 1700lb payload number is.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
True and I wonder if this is the distinction between the TRD Pro which will undoubtedly have softer spring rates vs the Trailhunter which maybe is tuned for more weight. Obviously we'll have to wait until some more details to see how true the 1700lb payload number is.
Hmm. Interesting theory. I never considered that.

ImpassionedExcellentFish-max-1mb.gif

tacollie

Glamper
TRD sport will have the lower payload. I heard an engineer say the TRD off-road will have 1700 lbs of payload. I would think the Trailhunter will lose some do to the steel rear bumper and rock sliders. A TRD off-road with a manual and 1700 lbs of payload would be a win for me.

Anybody notice the Tacoma and Ranger got bigger? We already have options for big trucks🤣

TwinStick

Explorer
The key, is in the details for the end user.

For example: if the 2400 watt inverter is some outrageous amount of money or only attached to a package that is also crazy expensive........You can buy a 92% efficient 2000/4000 watt pure sine wave inverter at HF for $300. Or the 3000/6000 pure sine wave for $600. But then you would have to install it.

I looked at the "bed lights" option. It was $350, for 2 very dim lights. I laughed and said no, for $54 each, I can, and did, buy 2 Icon usb rechargeable lights that are 2100 lumens each !!! That's enough light to make it daytime in your bed when ever you want. And they are magnetic.

So, some options are just not worth it, but only you can decide.

But as a whole, I think they are all pretty much even. Lift, lockers and larger tires, updated electronics, seems to be the ticket. I flat out/hands down chose the ZR2 over the Tacoma because of the lockers. Say what you will, we had both and we will choose lockers every single time.

It kinda seems like manufacturers have finally woke up and paid attention to their consumers ........but it's too late, because nobody can afford the price they want for the vehicles with all those goodies.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I noticed they all got wider!

The few actual off road trips I did with my J80 and Sequoia any thing wider would have been a big fat nope. Hence why my Expedition is strictly a dirt road rig and not a off road rig too damn fat for the challenging stuff.

Starting to wonder if the ultimate Auto maker plan is a micro truck model built up with decent off road cred? Given these “mid sized trucks are getting big” Park them next to a 60’s-70’s truck and they are nearly the same size.
I do like them but dang!!! At some point size starts to be an issue on anything but typical dirt roads. So from the aspect of trail rigs they are getting to big.

From a solo guy traveler these new rigs vs say a single cab or ex cab F150 etc honestly it would kinda be a tough decision.

TwinStick

Explorer
Yeah, I certainly don't agree with the "only one choice" when it comes to cab size & bed size. I think that GM could make their sales quota for Colorado's just with fleet purchases. We literally just stopped by a Lexus dealer today because they had like 40 white vehicles that were identical. Salesperson said it was a fleet buy. I've never heard of Lexus doing fleet buys before. Not even sure that they were actually Lexus brand or just a place to have that many vehicles delivered ?

D45

Explorer
The H3 had a V8......why can't the Ranger, Tacoma, Canyon, Colorado have one?

I'm too looking at downsizing from my Silverado, but the power concerns me with midsized trucks

I loved my V8 Dakota

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The H3 had a V8......why can't the Ranger, Tacoma, Canyon, Colorado have one?

I'm too looking at downsizing from my Silverado, but the power concerns me with midsized trucks

I loved my V8 Dakota
V8’s are done for anything thats not a heavy utility truck. Auto makers have actually stopped engine design. The current engines will be tweaked, perfected and down sized.

Not to mention weight. The 2.3 is petty damn stout and way more low grunt than the old 90’s little v8’s. I replaced my 4,7L V8 just shy of 300 hp at 5000 rpm. With a 3.5L 400 hp at 2800rpm. The 3.5 is like driving a diesel that absolutely screams. No way you could pay me to go back to the old v8 that had to down shift to 5000rpm every time a head wind hit it.

D45

Explorer
I don't think the 2.3L is powerful, at all, even in a Ford Edge ST

I had a 3.5L Ecoboost in my F150 and did like it, alot

However, all the midsized trucks seem a tad underpowered or geared wrong

The small turbo diesel is neat but too emissions restricted for my liking

2022 Ranger
10 speed transmission
2.3L I4 137cid
270 HP @ 5,500 rpm
310 TQ @ 3,000 rpm

2022 Canyon / 2022 Colorado
8 speed transmission
3.6L V6 170cid
308 HP @ 6,800 rpm
275 TQ @ 4,000 rpm

2.8L Duramax
181 HP @ 3,400 rpm
369 TQ @ 2,000 rpm

The diesel is no longer available from what I read......?

2022 Tacoma
2.7L I4 164cid
159 HP @ 5,200 rpm
180 TQ @ 3,800 rpm

3.5L V6
6 speed transmission
278 HP @ 6,000 rpm
265 TQ @ 4,600 rpm

D45

Explorer
But!

2023 GMC Canyon / Chevrolet Colorado
8 speed transmission
2.7L I4 Turbo HO
310 HP @ 5,600 rpm
430 TQ @ 3,000 rpm

I'm impressed !

What's the manufacturer octane requirements?

What's the 2.7L cid?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues