New trucks and 4low...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My XL is the same as a 2001 Lariat except no power seats, no leather.
Aside from stagecoach vintage leafs you have the much improved coils and monobeam control arms. This setup greatly improved handling and cut 5.5' off the turning radius.
My friends 2001 F-350 xtracab 4wd takes a city block to turn around.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah. But that was my dream truck when I was poor. Now to have a peasants XL, and it's as nice as I've ever wanted, is just great.

rho

Lost again
F150 XL comes standard with no carpet and manual roll up windows. Vinyl seats. Plain jane.

When I bought my wrangler it was HARD to find one with no options, as it is I'm still super happy with the no-frills it has. Soft top, six speed manual, crank windows and manual locks, simple radio and AC. I wish it didn't come with carpet or had vinyl/rubber carpet tho. As it is I bedlined the tub in it and thats been about perfect.

rho

Lost again
I think for the most part, we are the exception to the rule when it comes to 4x4 usage. Not the rule.

Yep. Even still, I know a lot of boat owners who get 4x4 trucks for that low range when launching boats.

does it have a radio?

you go to the website, the electronic dodads take up half the page but good luck trying to find anything on capacity.
like I said, todays pickup is yesterdays Crown Vic
I kind of miss the radio delete plates, lol. Or the just AM/FM radios...

We're planning on keeping our '03 Sierra until the chassis falls apart, its only a 2wd but I'm starting to feel like the GMT800 platform is better in a lot of ways than the '19 and up GMs. I really wish I could talk my partner into a truck from Dodge or Ford but she won't budge. Sigh.

I use 4lo quite a bit. Makes it easier backing my boat up a steep grassy hill to the barn.

I've often wished I had a 2low on my jeep for similar reasons. Or again, boat ramps.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Just a few more reasons to stick with Ford.

My 2011 SD has manual hubs, solid front axle, and real xfer case with real low range.

I had no idea that GM had gone the direction of an auto-4wd. Sad.

D

Deleted member 9101

Just got this in at work, F250 XL. Pretty bare except for power windows/locks and power mirrors. Also has the vinyl floor. Cost the State of Florida a whooping $26,000.

Attachments

• 20190708_140715~2.jpg
    20190708_140715~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 51

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just reading the brochure for the 2019 Silverado. They offer two options for transfer cases. They both have an Auto 4WD mode but only one has low range.

TWO TRANSFER CASES.

The All-New Silverado offers a choice of transfer cases for 4x4 models. The 2-speed transfer case features Auto, 2 High, 4 High and 4 Low settings and is standard on Custom Trail Boss, LT Trail Boss and High Country. It’s included with the Z71 Off-Road Package on other models. The single-speed transfer case, standard on Work Truck, Custom, LT, RST and LTZ 4x4 models, offers Auto, 2 High and 4 High. It also includes a Drive Mode Selector with Terrain mode, designed to optimize low-speed off-road driving much the same way 4 Low does with the 2-speed transfer case.

I started messing around with the build tool. Depending on where you start you can option a 2-speed case even with a regular cab WT, V6. It's a $200 stand alone option there. On other trucks starting with a WT I could add Z71 to get a 2-speed case.

Either way I don't like the sound of a "high preemptive coupling torque" clutch.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
My dually has the 6-speed manual tranny. Don't know how I'd get by without 4-Lo - I use it all the time when maneuvering in tight situations, especially backing up. Most times I don't even bother locking the front hubs - I just need the extra "creeper" gears. Sure wouldn't want to be slipping the clutch instead! I've also heard of people overheating their automatics when backing up slowly while moving around a lot of weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3