New trucks and 4low...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, typically its a big no-no for transmissions to do any pulling in reverse.
Low range really helps.

kahos

I guess it makes sense from the manufacturer's perspective. Less weight, cheaper cost. Still has 4x4 decals? Good enough for the average buyer!
I suspect more people are drawn to the "auto" setting than would be concerned with the lack of low gear. It's still an option for whoever wants it badly enough.

I doubt they're "passing the savings" on to consumers. With the ever increasing prices on new trucks they're probably increasing their profit margin more than anything...

Reactions: rho

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Speaking of good old dependable GM 4wd systems...just saw this Facebook post of someone stuck on a level dirt road out here in the middle of Nevada....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
GM made 4 lo an option on the Tahoe and Suburban in 2007 with the GMT-900 introduction. I guess they've gone the same way with the Silverado now, too.

Most of y'all are probably too young to remember but in the 1960's it wasn't uncommon to see 4x4s with single-speed T-cases. Both the Jeep Wagoneer and the International Travelall were sold with a single speed T-case as standard and the 2 speed as an option.

Even the last true "Jeep" used by the US Military, the Ford M151 "MUTT" had only a single speed t-case (and also 4 wheel independent suspension!)

WRT the "auto 4wd" some of you have a misconception that on vehicles equipped with Auto 4wd it is the only 4wd mode. Not true. You can still put it in 4hi (which is to say, locked 4wd) if you need it. Auto is for driving on intermittently slippery roads (for example, paved road with patches of ice or snow.) It doesn't work as well as true AWD but it works much better than 2wd.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
BTW as to the question of "when was the last time you used low range?" my answer is "this past weekend coming down Last Dollar road into Telluride." Was it necessary? Probably not but it sure saves wear and tear on my brakes (which already take a beating from pulling a 3500lb trailer over 11,000' passes.) With the T-case in 4 lo and the transmission in 1, I can just "ease" down the steep parts of the trail without having to use the brakes at all.

shade

BTW as to the question of "when was the last time you used low range?" my answer is "this past weekend coming down Last Dollar road into Telluride." Was it necessary? Probably not but it sure saves wear and tear on my brakes (which already take a beating from pulling a 3500lb trailer over 11,000' passes.) With the T-case in 4 lo and the transmission in 1, I can just "ease" down the steep parts of the trail without having to use the brakes at all.
Follow a Farabee's rental Jeep down a trail, and you'll probably see the brake lights on most of the way.

I use 4-Lo frequently when moving a large trailer around job sites. I do it enough that I added 2-Lo to my Tacoma so I don't unnecessarily tear up the ground or my truck.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Most of y'all are probably too young to remember but in the 1960's it wasn't uncommon to see 4x4s with single-speed T-cases. Both the Jeep Wagoneer and the International Travelall were sold with a single speed T-case as standard and the 2 speed as an option.

Even the last true "Jeep" used by the US Military, the Ford M151 "MUTT" had only a single speed t-case (and also 4 wheel independent suspension!)
The original Toyota BJ prototype they came up with after the war had a 1 speed transfer case with a low 1st gear and the first Land Cruisers (FJ2x) didn't either. If I'm not mistaken that was also the case with the old Jeeps and Internationals, really most trucks back then - a very low 1st gear that you might not use normally. Even a 2WD truck is pretty capable when your 1st gear is 6.55:1. That's not far from a modern truck in low range 4WD. Now with the 8 and 10 speed transmissions they can get pretty close for the majority of users.

XJLI

Adventurer
WRT the "auto 4wd" some of you have a misconception that on vehicles equipped with Auto 4wd it is the only 4wd mode. Not true. You can still put it in 4hi (which is to say, locked 4wd) if you need it. Auto is for driving on intermittently slippery roads (for example, paved road with patches of ice or snow.) It doesn't work as well as true AWD but it works much better than 2wd.

It looks like the new transfer case, even the "two speed one" is just using electronics and a clutch pack for 4hi, rather than a true mechanical lock according to the documents posted on the first page. That is really disappointing

shade

The original Toyota BJ prototype they came up with after the war had a 1 speed transfer case with a low 1st gear and the first Land Cruisers (FJ2x) didn't either. If I'm not mistaken that was also the case with the old Jeeps and Internationals, really most trucks back then - a very low 1st gear that you might not use normally. Even a 2WD truck is pretty capable when your 1st gear is 6.55:1. That's not far from a modern truck in low range 4WD. Now with the 8 and 10 speed transmissions they can get pretty close for the majority of users.
I learned to drive with a manual transmission on a Chevy 1-ton with a very low 1st gear. It was a big help when towing or hauling heavy loads, or when a 14 year old was trying to start up a hill without killing the engine or burning the clutch. :)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If I'm not mistaken that was also the case with the old Jeeps and Internationals, really most trucks back then - a very low 1st gear that you might not use normally. Even a 2WD truck is pretty capable when your 1st gear is 6.55:1. That's not far from a modern truck in low range 4WD. Now with the 8 and 10 speed transmissions they can get pretty close for the majority of users.

Very true. "Granny low" was common. My first 3 vehicles (1957 International Travelall, 1967 Travelall and 1971 Chevy Blazer) all had that transmission. The normal way to drive it was to think of it not as a 4 speed but as a 3 speed with a "granny low." So under normal driving conditions, you'd start in 2nd, then shift to 3rd, then 4th. 1st was only used from a complete stop (no synchromesh in 1st) and typically only when carrying a very heavy load.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
We didn't do this in the 70's or 80's. Didn't dare cross the farm on a rainy day. Now camping and overlanding is best in the snow and rain.

The ''didn't need 4wd way back then'' analogy, doesn't really apply.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't know that 4.46:1 1st in an NSG370 is silly low. It's reasonably low. But even with 35" and 4.56 I'd still personally use it to start, if for no other reason than to keep the clutch happy. Your 2nd is 2.62:1 and that's getting tall enough you'd be slipping the clutch a little to get moving I'd think. The truck may be doing it for you, in fact. Did Jeep cripple it with a clutch accumulator?

What was super low is an SM420, which had a 7.05:1 1st gear.

Last edited:

kahos

The level to which it "locks" in 4 hi may vary on the transfer case with 4 auto. It may not mechanically lock like you would expect 4wd "lock to" Here are some example of the BW 44-44 with 4 auto on the previous gen ram:

There are PROS and CONS to both. I figure most people would come out ahead with the "convenience" of 4 auto. I enjoyed it in the winter time.
That being said, It may not live up to every one's expectation off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3