Newbie - need spring bushing advice

Bigdirtygreen

I'm new to working on these one ton Ford vans and have never changed spring bushings before, but one of my rear forward ones is shot on my 1998 E350 EB. The spring is shifted and the rubber is wasted so I need to replace that one at the minimum asap. I'm trying to keep any suspension upgrades to a minimum at the moment as I have a 6 inch lift and 4 x 4 conversion planned in the next year or so.

Should I buy those Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings (and grease them good) for ease of installation and being able to reuse them later? Or should I just go with the Moogs? Or is there something better everyone likes? I was also considering putting some sort of helper spring on it if I'm dealing with taking the spring off since a hightop is planned. We're not going far from home this first year so I'm building slow as my budget allows.

verasule

I did mine yesterday. The hardest part was finding out there are two possible front bushings. One has a metal outer sleeve and one is rubber on the outer. I lucked out and have the rubber outer one (moog pn should be K201300 roughly $20).
It only took a moment on a press to get it out and the new one can be started pretty easily by hand.
The rear eye had the metal outer and that was a pain to get out. I used a 20ton press to do both but for the rubber outer type it was over kill and could probably be done with basic hand tools or a ball joint tool while still under the van.

Bigdirtygreen

I did mine yesterday. The hardest part was finding out there are two possible front bushings. One has a metal outer sleeve and one is rubber on the outer. I lucked out and have the rubber outer one (moog pn should be K201300 roughly $20).
It only took a moment on a press to get it out and the new one can be started pretty easily by hand.
The rear eye had the metal outer and that was a pain to get out. I used a 20ton press to do both but for the rubber outer type it was over kill and could probably be done with basic hand tools or a ball joint tool while still under the van.
I believe I have the same ones. At least it appears that way:

Driver's rear forward spring bushing pics

I can score those Moog bushings on Rock Auto for $8.08 a piece. Nice. Thanks for the suggestion. Haven't found a post yet with anyone using polyurethane bushings. Wondering why not...

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Especially if you are replacing them in a year, I’d stick with the rubber ones. Polyurethane doesn’t flex as much... it theoretically reduces unwanted flex, but does so at the cost of reduced articulation. In a heavy van go with what is easiest and most affordable. If it doesn’t last quite as long it won’t matter for you.

Bigdirtygreen

It sounds like since I've got the ones without the metal outer sleeves I can get away with leaving the spring on the van too. Just drop the front of it, maybe a little heat, and a ball joint press. One thing worked out alright... in theory at least.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Ball joint press alternative: long bolt same diameter as hole in bushing, big washer that fits bolt and will pass through spring eye, nut that fits bolt, 2nd big washer as above, pipe or sockets that bushing will fit inside of with some extra space for both length and diameter. Assemble as: bolt head, washer, bushing, pipe or socket(s), washer, nut. Lube the bolt threads. Tighten nut. Bushing will be pulled out of spring eye and into the pipe/socket(s). Reverse assembly and you have a bushing installer as well.

Bigdirtygreen

250 ft/lb torqued grade 10 bolts sure aren't for old crippled dudes, that's for sure. Got the bolt out. Guess I need to buy a bigger torque wrench for getting the new one back on. I'll have to use a floor jack on the torque wrench to torque it the same way I did to break it (and hopefully not break the wrench).

Any tips for lowering the spring with the least amount of effort? I was hoping it would just drop, but nope. It loose though. None of my Harbor Freight jack stands are gonna get high enough. None of my bottle jacks lift that high and my floor jack can only go about 3 more inches and I'm not pressing the bushing out with the van on a just a 3 ton jack.

Is my only option to remove the lower shock bolt and the tire and then lower the axle with the floor jack? Will the front of the spring drop enough like that with the U-bolts still torqued down? I definitely don't want to remove them if don't have to.

Appreciate any advice. I'm calling it a night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk