Next Gen Wrangler to Get 3.0L EcoDiesel and 8-speed Auto

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
They don't say in the USA either :)

There have been factory diesel wranglers years....just not here in the USA.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Enough of us have our fingers crossed, that's for sure.

I've always thought the 3.0 was a bit too big / to much torque for the Wrangler - especially the 2 door - but I'll take it.
Seeings they're already using it in the GC and 1500, it makes perfect sense to keep using the same thing for compliance, parts supply, servicing, etc. etc.

Let's hope they still make a standard gearbox version. As yet, that hasn't been seen behind the 3.0 diesel.

This is the first time we've heard that the eight-speed automatic and the diesel would be paired together.

FCA currently sells the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 with the diesel/eight-speed gearbox combo.

Those two statements contradict each other...

-Dan

Tekel

And I will bring it back to the complaining about it possibly being IFS to cater to the HS girls and soccer moms.

AZJim

Observer
The 3.0l V-6 diesel is too wide for the engine compartment. A inline four would make a lot more sense. The current 2.8l diesel used in export is too under powered for this market.
Also in regards to IFS rumors, it has been reported that the next Wrangler would stay with live axles. Don't have a link to it, but believe it was Autonews.

Jim

A

AngryRedBird

Dare I say it.. "This is an early April Fools Joke" I noticed the contradictions also.. but all writers tend to make mistakes.

AZJim

Observer
Could be an early April Fools Joke, but also FCA has in the past leaked false rumors to smoke out internal leaks. I know of one manager and two engineers that were fired for leaking info on the Hellcat engine.
As far as fitting of the 3.0, a lot of problems with things like the brake booster and safety zone reworking, can be done but very expensive. I would direct you to Allpar and the stories on the next generation Wrangler done by former Chrysler engineer Bob Sheaves, not all facts but what he believes might happen. He has information on why the V-6 would be difficult to fit. You can find links to the stories on the home page. Do yourself a favor and stay out of the forum, it really can be like a cess pool.

Jim

Jorsn

Adventurer
Hopefully this is true!

Next Gen Wrangler will for sure have the 3.2L Pentastar along with the 8-speed auto. I've also read that it's likely the 3.2L will come with turbos... this makes sense considering all manufactures are downsizing engines.

AZJim

Observer
A lot of offroad requires just off idle torque and turbos require RPM,s to build boost. Also it has not been stated that the 3.2 would be used. A large enough turbo diesel will produce that off idle torque without boost. A small gas engine with a turbo would be weak on off idle torque and when you are in boost the fuel economy drops.

Jim

A

AngryRedBird

Jim.. been there done that.. (the forum cess pool comment) Viewing my blog (in my signature) one would scroll down to the lower right and see all the forums I've been banned from..

AZJim

Observer
I can agree with you on that. Most forums I don't even bother to post. This place is like heaven compared to most.

Jim

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The 3.0l V-6 diesel is too wide for the engine compartment. A inline four would make a lot more sense. The current 2.8l diesel used in export is too under powered for this market.
Also in regards to IFS rumors, it has been reported that the next Wrangler would stay with live axles. Don't have a link to it, but believe it was Autonews.

Jim

I've driven a 2.8L 4cyl diesel wrangler...in the about 2011 version. It was fantastic. It feels WAY better than the 3.6 does now in my opinion.

AZJim

Observer
I have also spent plenty of time driving the export Jeeps with diesels and I find they struggle with highway speeds, low speeds and off road they are fine, around town just keep the r's up and it's okay. The JK is a heavy beast.

Jim

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I have also spent plenty of time driving the export Jeeps with diesels and I find they struggle with highway speeds, low speeds and off road they are fine, around town just keep the r's up and it's okay. The JK is a heavy beast.

Jim

Just curious, how did you have the opportunity to spend so much time driving export diesel jeeps? Sounds fun.

I personally think even the current 3.6 isn't THAT great on the highway.

I see many people say it cruises at 80MPH easily on the freeway. I have 4.10's and manual, and to me, you need to keep some serious lead in the foot to maintain 80MPH.

With a relaxed gas pedal foot, I cruise closer to 65.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat