Next Gen Wrangler to Get 3.0L EcoDiesel and 8-speed Auto

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Sounds like it might have been a fun job. My uncle worked for caterpillar at their arizona proving ground.

For example: The older VW diesels got far better average mileage than the current ones.

Good job EPA and CARB.

CARB has a yearly $651.9 million dollars allotted in the california budget. It only has 1225 employee's. There's a lot more going on here than just these corrupted officials pretending they are saving our lungs.

those UREA tanks KILL me too!!!

Yeah the new VW engines make better power and are more fun to drive. However after talking to many people who have removed their dpf and run a high flow exhaust setup, economy (and power) number just up quite significantly.

A little 45mpg four cylinder certainly doesn't make much soot and particulate.

Anyway aside from the emissions problems, the scariest part of this is the eight speed automatic from Chrysler/jeep. Lol. They certainly aren't known for lasting or reliable transmissions already.
Every newer car I drive with more than six gears is absolutely obnoxious too. The transmissions are constantly shifting and hunting for the optimum gear, trying to maintain a steady speed on slightly varying terrain. I would almost rather have a cvt (sad sad day) then try to cruise in traffic with an 8 speed auto.

Jorsn

Adventurer
http://www.pentastars.com/engines/future.php

"Chrysler’s own twin turbo V6 is reportedly still under development in Auburn Hills. It will likely produce less power, probably slotting in underneath the current 5.7 liter Hemi V8, but also cost much less to build. The timeframe for this engine remains unknown."

"Direct injection has been delayed for numerous reasons, and is not expected until calendar years 2015-2016."

"We are still expecting a supercharged 3.2 liter engine, but not until 2016. That engine would fill the gap between 300-horsepower-3.6 and 380-horsepower-5.7 engines. There is a non-supercharged 3.2 liter engine already in production for the Jeep Cherokee and other vehicles. Other news concerns direct injection and turbochargers."

So it sounds like the base engine will be the 3.6L, above that will be twin turbo 3.2L or supercharged 3.2L and above that 3.0L diesel.

EMrider

Explorer
I agree....but the approach the EPA/CARB uses is not the most business friendly....and a lot of time there is no concern for the consequences of their actions. When your intent is to make laws so restrictive that the ultimate goal is to put diesel out of business that is not a healthy business environment....like I said above I have been in meetings with both EPA and CARB officials who are amazed that we keep meeting and exceeding to them their unattainable rules an laws....When CAT left the on road market...there was a lot of cheering within the EPA and they felt confident that the rest would follow. CARB is particularly ruthless when it comes to diesel and you really have to question their motivation.

The downside of all this technology is you are slowly killing the independent truck driver and small business owners...they simply can't afford to replace their aging equipment....a brand new bare bones Class 8 Day Cab goes for over $90,000 dollars...Sleeper Class 8 trucks over $110,000...that is one truck...a replacement engine is over $30,000...to replace an AfterTreatment Device (ATD) on a class 8 truck is over $7,000. For manufacturers to meet the GHG17 regulations that will need to incorporate Automated Manual Transmissions (AMTs)....those are great but are significantly more than a Manual Transmission...more added cost.

AMTs allow manufacturers to maximize the sweet spot of the engine...something a well trained driver can do with a Manual Transmission...unfortunately well trained drivers are aging out of the system...being replaced by people from all walks of life looking for a job....AMTs are vital for a manufacturer to meet fuel economy or GHG regulations.

I'm no expert, but it does appear that meeting EPA emissions requirements and building a reliable modern diesel is proving to be difficult. My interest in a diesel JL has faded quite a bit based on owner reports on the motor's reliability, or lack thereof.

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/8564-eco-diesel-engine-failures.html

I know how to filter for internet forums. But keep in mind this comes from an enthusiast forum dedicated to the Ram 1500.

R

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
So for the non diesel crowd does that mean the diesel that jeep wants to use has all the def/injectors, pumps, regen etc stuff? I know nothing about diesel motors but everyone I know has had some issue with the aforementioned things. I know I'd like the low end torque for towing and reliability I've been told diesel's are known for. Just seems these new motors have a lot of issues that I would not want to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat