Nissan NV2500 Toy Hauling camper

Elfmaze

Observer
Looks great! I think a lot of RV conversion companies will be using the Nissan van as a base-platform in the near future!
Thanks for sharing!
-AK

Road trek has one using the high roof i have seen, Sports-mobile is using them as well but seem to prefer the low roof option so they can use there token pop-top sleeper

Elfmaze

Observer
I have the 100W Renogy panels and controller. Panels are very nice. Controller sucks. Cuts charge voltage way too early (12.5V) IMO. Keeps them topped up, but not full.

The charge controller is arguably the cheaper part of the package. I wouldn't mind a different controller if it works better.... One that could keep track of amp hours used vs gained would be SWEET! I selected the two 70 watt panels because I only have 57 inches between roof rails and most larger panels are 59-63 inches wide... I might be slightly under-sizing the panels and may need a small top off generator.

Side note: The interior lights, Fantastic vent fan, area flood lights and tv are all powered INDEPENDENTLY from the vans electrical system. I will use solar and shore power to recharge the house batteries. I didn't want any systems that could stress or feed back into the vans running gear and cause any expensive problems.

Elfmaze

Observer
Quigly just started doing the NV's.

We talked to Quigly and yes they have a FANTASTIC package for the NV van. Fully in cooperation with Nissan so drive train guarantee is not affected, It is a $10K option, and Quigly prefers to work on pre-purchase vehicles, but it is an available option and makes the vehicle unstoppable.

Ultimately, the reason we opted against it are that our main mission is to transport the motorcycle to a new area and drop the dinghy. the roof rack is already costing my in fuel efficiency, the 4WD would have brought me down another 10%. It hasn't been bad in the snow though, went thru 8 inches pretty easily.

Elfmaze

Observer
So I've heard. I'm still hoping nissan will just put the Titan 4x4 drivetrain in at some point, but I'm not holding my breath. It would make it the only factory equipped 4wd van in the market, there must be money there...

Anyway, nice rig.

The Chevy express has an AWD option, Not really the same but its there. Van market is changing rapidly here. The Promasters, Sprinters, NV's, And Transits will need to hash out the details together.... That said, most of the commercial operators i talk to are hoping for a diesel option before factory 4WD. There are unused lights on my dash for both diesel preheat and 4WD.

skibum315

Explorer
Cool, one of the first DIY NV builds I've seen. Thanks for sharing! I'll be subscribing ...

I'm with others that have talked about wanting to see more of these builds ... I just wish Nissan had gone with a bit better styling on the front end, that thing has a mug only a mother (or someone unconcerned with looks, and more interested in performance) could love. Maybe even considered more of a cab over design ... but I know that gives headaches (of the motor access kind) for the E-Series guys.

The Quigley guys did a bang-up job on their photos of the blue low-roof NV out in Utah somewhere ... really got my wheels turning. I've always wondered why they went with a single-speed t-case, though ... why no low-range?

Anyway, thanks for sharing some info on yours (the 2wd snow performance was a nice surprise), and I'll look forwards to continuing progress updates.

Elfmaze

Observer
Cool, one of the first DIY NV builds I've seen. Thanks for sharing! I'll be subscribing ...Anyway, thanks for sharing some info on yours (the 2wd snow performance was a nice surprise), and I'll look forwards to continuing progress updates.

Thanks! And I feel like I should side note. the snow performance should be a YMMV esp depending on hill conditions. Although it does seem to really put that 3 tons of weight right into the rear end to climb fairly well, it is 3 tons, Even with 4 wheel stopping power, a skid would be interesting. The ******** end did go out on me once, but more a bit of having fun on my part. The slide was slow and easily controllable(good weight distribution?)

Elfmaze

Observer
but I know that gives headaches (of the motor access kind) for the E-Series guys.

I was done with the bloody knuckles trying to do spark plug and wire changes on my Econoline. I had to take half of the intake apart just to get to the distributor. This "truck" is nicely layed out, and looks like a dream to work on. BUT its 5 feet tall at the front fender. So unless your 7-8 feet tall, getting over the fender into the bay could be interesting. Over all from a DIY mechanic, Id still take the NV's front end.

Elfmaze

Observer

I dont know why I wrote off the 100W panels from them, It actually looks like it could work. I have 71" from the front of the vent hood to the front of the deck, Could fit 200Watts and still have a pathway to get up and maintain the system, or I could really pack em in and get three of them up there! Possibly even a fourth on the driver side next to the vent hood..... Hmm, refrigerator? lol

Elfmaze

Observer
This is how I solved the lights shutting off problem in the NV(battery saver function kills ALL power in the van after 10mins).

easily accessible from both front seat and the back, the switches are for the outside flood lights, red interior lights (saves night vision), white interior lights, fantastic vent power

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Cool build!

I've seen this kind of thing done in Sprinters and stuff, but never a Nissan van. Always thought it'd be neat to do one like that. Cool version of the toy hauler!

Glidedon

Hi Elfmaze,
Nice rig. I'm about to pull the trigger on an NV2500. What model do have the S or SV and have you had any complications with added wiring in regard to the OEM wiring and on board electronics?

I am enjoying watching your progress.

Thanks,
Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online