Nissan NV2500 Toy Hauling camper

Elfmaze

Observer
Hi Elfmaze,
Nice rig. I'm about to pull the trigger on an NV2500. What model do have the S or SV and have you had any complications with added wiring in regard to the OEM wiring and on board electronics?

I am enjoying watching your progress.

Thanks,
Don

thanks! I decided to keep the "house" power system completely independent from the vans system. I didn't want to deal with any learning curves as far as computers not reacting well to the frequency of my LED'S or what not. I didn't know what issues could come up, But isolating the van prevents any problems. Also guarantees the van will start again after camping for a few days. The house batteries will be recharged by the roof mounted solar, Or thru shore power. The battery bank does not even get charged by the van while driving.

The vans three rear cargo lights still come on when you open a door... But when they time out in 10 mins we switch to the "house" systems for the remainder of our stay.

We have the SV. I admit I do like my back up camera more than i though I would. I have a curtain wall that prevents me from seeing out the back windows much. The only thing my van didn't have was the DVD-navi system.

Last edited:

Elfmaze

Observer
Oh' and where did you get the ladder?

Thanks,
Don

The ladder is made by Surco, The fitment is close. But I felt the ladder was either crooked or it didn't sit well on the top of the door. Where I ended up screwing it in Its not sitting on the top of the door the way i hoped it would have. It can pop off the top of the door if you are not careful with it. I weigh 200 lbs and it gets me to the roof... BUT it moves alot and i will need continuous rust prevention as it has scratched the vans door to the steel as it moves.... I will have to check my metallurgy But i think it will eventually get tack welded to the door and repainted where it scratched the crap out of the metal.

I really like Topper manufacturing and there support of the NV... I only went with the Surco because I figured stainless lasts forever. BUT Topper's rack I have on my van is on its second van and the galvanization is showing no signs of weakening

Elfmaze

Observer
Awesome! Let me know if you have any questions about systems. I have been pouring over this thing for half a year now.... BTW the center over head cubby hole makes for a great paper towel spot!

Elfmaze

Observer
Preliminary it looks like I get a solid 12 around town driving, Freeway I get 16-18mpg with a ton of **** on my roof, 65mph. I haven't done much towing yet.

Elfmaze

Observer
Sweet! The panels are nice, the controller they use sucks IMO

I am a bit concerned as the controller is $100 less than blue skys controller. BUT i did get teh LCD version so hopefully the adjustable parameters help me fine tune it a bit.. Also the ability to count intake vs output Amp hours is intriguing if it works A shunt Amp hour meter is going to cost a few hundred just by its self.

java

Expedition Leader
I am a bit concerned as the controller is $100 less than blue skys controller. BUT i did get teh LCD version so hopefully the adjustable parameters help me fine tune it a bit.. Also the ability to count intake vs output Amp hours is intriguing if it works A shunt Amp hour meter is going to cost a few hundred just by its self.

Ah you didnt get the basic one that comes with the kit. I dont have experience with the nicer one. Ill be interested in how the meter works also. Id like to install a shunt and meter but they are expensive!

Elfmaze

Observer
Solar is a GO!

Got my Renogy kit installed. Current system has 200 watts of solar, I will probably add one more 100watt panel. But we will see how our usage goes. I think i need to install some tilting brackets, it is near impossible to work on the wiring or clean the panels as they sit... with one more i will not be able to get anywhere near the far panel.

controller in my power box. We decided it was better to have it inside so it would not get damaged and so it can better estimate battery temperature.

Closeup of the controller

For those that were wondering about where I installed my fan. It is a tight fit, But i had to do minimal cutting to the cross beam.

java

Expedition Leader
Let me know how you like the controller. Ill be interested to see what its peak charge voltage is at.

Elfmaze

Observer
Let me know how you like the controller. Ill be interested to see what its peak charge voltage is at.

It looks like it is set at 13.8v PV cutoff... It took about two hours to top off my batteries, partly sunny and pulling down ~2.8-3 amps(enough to run my Fan @ 1.8 amps). batteries are "float" charging right now, system reads ~ 14v

I am a bit concerned about over charging, but i'm trying to be careful until I fully understand the parameters. the PV cutoff is adjustable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk