Nissan NV2500 Toy Hauling camper

Elfmaze

Observer
I noticed you have removed the storage / console from between the front seats. Do you miss it?

Yes, and No. The center console is fantastic! The power outlets, the arm rest, the Massive storage capacity(snacks, magazines, a map if thats your thing). Extra cup holders. BUT, It doesn't let me traverse from the drivers seat to the rear. I think we have decided that around town we are going to leave it out. Too many cold rainy days wandering around the thing building different systems, Not wanting to leave the nice warm interior. Also lets you exit the vehicle once vs, getting out going around back and getting back in to grab the groceries from the rear.

We will be putting it back in for our cross country hauls. The majority of our time will be spent driving, there will probably be a motorcycle in the back anyway so movement back there will be limited until we get where we are going. Once parked, the van will stay put for a few days so we will probably just ignore the "cockpit" during that time.

I love the center console, just sucks climbing over it. I wish the plug under the drivers seat was a bit easier to get to and use. otherwise it could be in and out in ten mins flat.

Side note: i think the 12v plug in the center console is the only constant hot plug for charging cell phones when the van is off.

Last edited:

papaduc

Thanks for the feedback on the console. I removed mine and drove around town a little and decided to put it back. I think the dog missed it more than me but it's nice to have the power outlets, arm rest for me and chin rest for the dog. Most of my use for my NV is road trips so it will most likely stay in full time.

njtacoma

Explorer
On the console usage, I don't have a Nissan, but on my vw's (66 & 67) I mostly used the side doors, rarely in or out through the front doors. It seemed strangely easier for some reason, maybe because the old vw doors took quite a bit of space to swing out, and the side door was so compact and an easier shape to navigate in a tight parking lot.

I like what you've done so far, I like this platform, but need the used ones to come down a lot before I can make it work (passenger vans are only a couple years old)

Last edited:

Elfmaze

Observer
It seemed strangely easier for some reason, maybe because the old vw doors took quite a bit of space to swing out, and the side door was so compact and an easier shape to navigate in a tight parking lot.

I'm thinking the type of doors do make a difference. I don't really use the sliding door.... too heavy and slow for my tastes. But the back door although easy to get in I have to squat down to open from the inside. One of my only complaints with the van is having to reach down to open the rear door from inside.

Might have an effect of how i move around the machine....

Elfmaze

Observer
Spent some time with a roll of reflectix, fiberglass mat, and 3M 77 adhesive. I don't know how much it helps but every little bit helps with holding heat in right? My plan is to finish the roof with a 1/4 mdf panel and pack fiberglass between the panel and reflectix. The side panels i'm not using reflectix since it would be hard to get into the holes.... I could use it if it will help I guess. My plan was to close in the wall areas with 1/4 inch plywood as well over the fiberglass.

papaduc

As for insulation on the ceiling goes...
I used the rigid foam with foil on one side and then put panel of the 1/4" hardboard up to hold it in place. The hardboard is held up with 1/2 plywood strips bolted at the two mounting points in each ceiling rib. The plywood is flexible enough to conform to the curve of the ceiling but rigid enough to hold it all in place.
IMAG0074.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online