North American Adventure

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
LJRockstar said:
:tent:

Does any one know if there is places where I can Camp on the beach out on the west coast? I really want to drive a good stretch of the PCH it would be neat to be able to drive out to the beach and camp out for a day or two!
PISMO!!!!!

RoundOut

Explorer
Love those Lone Star State Rims!

LJRockstar said:
IMG_0012.jpg

You've gotta stop in Texas. I second the Big Bend detour. PM me for some un-advertised hikes at Big Bend that will blow you away.

Look us up if you come through Houston. Dinner's on us.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
I was just reading the ALASKA/BC thread, and It brought up a whole new aspect I may or may not need to plan for.... Critters.... Big and small. What, if any, Aggressive animals should I be prepared for. Being a Jersey boy, Bears and such are pretty rare. I have a few Bear bags for my food and I know the basics of how to set up camp that if the curios ones find me they will focus on my food that's hanging from a tree 50 yards away. Should I be concerned about aggressive animals wanting to introduce themselves to me? I don't have any guns nor do I really want one. what are some good alternatives in case I have a close encounter?

Are there any other practices that will discourage these types of animals from even wanting to get near me short of spraying myself with some sort of animal urine! Not a big fan of animal urine! :hehe:

Ruffin' It

Explorer
If you plan on hitting Old Mojave Road and want a second vehicle with you I might be able to run it with you. You can do it in 2 days (about 130 miles from Laughlin, NV to Baker-ish, CA). You get to cross Soda Dry Lake which is amazing and end up camping the last night in Afton Canyon which is one of my favorite campsites in the world. I've done the trail 3 times so I can get through most of it without getting horribly lost. Another plus is that Route 66 is running all around the area, so you can continue your travels on that if you are interested.
I will say that this time of year it is hot. If you don't have good A/C and a closed vehicle it might be a bit miserable.
Either way, let me know. I love that place and am always looking for an excuse to get back there.

E-mail me if you want at rtylerwinslow@aol.com

As far as animals in the West. The Southwest has small ones you need to be aware of. Scorpions, Rattlers, spiders, etc. Common sense stuff there. Don't leave you shoes out at night. Remember that most animals in the desert are noctural, so stay aware when going to pee at night. Rattlers like to be around water and in the shade during the day. Coyotes are wimps that are easy to scare off and are not really a threat to people (they will eat your dog thought). Once you get further north these animals start to get more and more rare, but moose and bear enter into the picture. Black bear aren't a big deal. Unless you surprise them or get between a mother and her cub they usually try to just get away from you. Grizzlies are more..interested. Pick-up some grizzly strength pepper spray at REI or something and don't leave food or dirty dishes out and you are probably OK. Moose are more dangerous than some people think. If they charge, run. Most charges are bluffs. If he keeps coming find a tree to play ring around the rosie for a while. Don't climb it, just run.
That said. Lots of people never have any problems with any of these.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
WoW thanks for all the advice, one more question, (I'm kinda paranoid about bears! :yikes: ) I will have the Engel fridge on the front of the trailer, I plan on keeping the obvious meat and eggs and such in there. DO I need to hoist that 50 feet up in a tree every night? or is it sealed well enough that the lovely odors inside wont attract animals (bears) lol?

I would definitely want to meet up when I'm in the area. I really don't know when that will be as I haven't even hit the road yet :( I just cant understand why every welder I know is such a friggin flake! I need three things welded and I can finish assembling my trailer, but every time I think I have it all lined up the welder has something more important. Last time I looked my money was green just like everyone else's! I am going to try and keep my plans about a week ahead of my current location. I will have my laptop with me and I have a cellular card for it, but I imagine the service can be pretty shotty the further you are from civilization. But I will be in contact as I get near.

Thanks again.
Erik

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I wouldn't be the right person to ask about the Engle since I have only pawed them in the show room and am not sure how well they seal. I do know bears have a pretty good sense of smell though. But, unless you are in an area where they have become fairly domesticated (Yellowstone for example), they usually prefer to avoid people. Especially if they are well-fed naturally. Small comfort I know. I, too, share your "attention" to all things bear related (that's why I have a camping hammock that can be set up high in the trees). I do know that 20 feet is usally enough to avoid the bears.

As for meeting up. Yeah. Feel free to let me know if you make it to the area. I'll be here. If you have time there is a lot of really nice land to see out here. Charles A. Wells has written some good guide books for the west. I don't know if he gets any exposure in the East, but they are really worth looking at when heading out this way. They are all titled something to the effect of "Guide to Southern California/Northern California/Arizona/Colorado backcountry roads and 4X4 trails". Look him up on Amazon and you'll get a list of what is available. His trail descriptions really help you get the most out of the area you are in. Just a thought.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Finally On The Road!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got on the raod today! I left from NJ and took ONLY secondary roads to get to Westfield NY, Right near lake erie. It was a very nice route I was mostly on RT 6 WAY better than taking Rt 80. It did take quite a while though. almost 11 hrs. I got to my camp site around 9:45. I definately need to reorganize my gear. Everything I needed was under stuff that I don't need while in a KOA. DUH!:oops: I took a few pics on the way, I will get them posted up in the AM I'm Knackered right now.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Here's some pics from yesterday. Today I'm goin to Cedar Point amusement park to ride some rollercoasters! Not to much "Expeditioning" around here. I haven't made it to the good stuff yet!

IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Toledo

I'm in Toledo OH right now, I had high hopes of going to the Jeep Factory today, but I found out that they no longer give tours of the facility since 9/11. Apparently the only people that they will let in are Vendors like AEV. But here are a few pics from lake Erie.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

I know a lot of you are Photographers, If you see some thing with these pics, could you let me know how I could make them better. I would love to take amazing photo's like some of the ones I have seen here.

Tomorrow I'm on my way to see Steve at Off Road Only in St. Paul MN. Should be pretty neat.

From there I'm going to try and cover some ground to get to the Badlands in SD. Is there any one local that might want to meet up? I'm ITCHIN' for some off highway! I have heard of places around there, I just don't really know where to look.

On another subject, Is there a way I can move this to IN PROGRESS? Or should I just start a new thread?

ox4mag

Explorer
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing about your continued progress on this trip as it is an awesome one!! :wings:

Mods: Any chance y'all can move this to 'In-Progress Expeditions' per his request? Thanks!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Erik, on RT44 just outside the Badlands in a small town called Scenic...check out the Saloon (hopefully it's open for ya)and the ole gent across the street in the Museum. Visit the local ranger and ask for some two tracks in Buffalo Gap National Grasslands.

I'll dig out my notes and post the route i know about.

Keep the updates coming!

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
LJRockstar said:
Here's some pics from yesterday. Today I'm goin to Cedar Point amusement park to ride some rollercoasters!

Cedar Point is a BLAST - good choice!

Don't forget to stop at Al's Oasis on your way through SD (on the Missouri River) - Pheasant capital of the world (not this time of year tho).:hehe:

Photog

Explorer
A simple first step to improving the photographs would be to use a polarizer, for all your daytime shots. If the store sold you a UV filter (to protect your lens), chuck it. The camera shop was just looking to make a few extra bucks. It is cheap glass, in front of your expensive glass. Cheap glass ruins photographs. Buy a good quality polarizer, and try turnig it to change the amount of polarization effect on the image.

If the sky is not interesting (clouds, etc) include less of it. If you have a horizon line (Lake Erie in this case), place it at the upper third of the image, or lower third, depending on how blah the sky might be.

Place your subject right, left, up, down; but not in the center. Rule of thirds is very pleasing, most of the time.

Last, but not least; photography is the capture of light. So; bad light will make for bad photographs, no matter how beautiful the subject. Stormy weather is usually more dramatic than blah, clear skies.

There is more; but this will keep you busy for a while.

PS: If you are using a point & shoot camera, many of them have an adapter available, for attaching things like polarizers, and other lenses.

Great trip, great reading. And VERY cool rig. Thanks :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online