North American Adventure

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Everything is going very well. I spent the last week in Salida CO, at the Mile High Jeep Club's All 4 Fun charity event. I went with the crew from ORO. It was a BLAST! We did a trail ride every day except for Wednesday wich was the Vendor day. I have a bunch pics, some are my own and some are from the others I was with, I am trying to getg them up on my photobucket, but I have had little to no access to the internet for over a week. Now that I finally do, Photobucket is doing site maitnence.

The trails we took were all over the board, some were easy and some were very difficult. There were also the ones where you are driving on a shelf road that is about 6 inches wider than the jeep itself and one wrong move you are tumbling 1000 feet to the treeline. White knuckle to say the least!

right now I'm in Vail CO at a SUPER FANCY hotel, I couldn't find anything else. this is a busy state! I am looking to find Camp Hale. My grand father was stationed there before he went overseas for WWII. since I'm so close I figured I should check it out.

On another note, WHERE IS EVERY ONE!?! I have been on the road for over 3500 miles and have yet to run into any one from this forum! Like I said I'm in Vail right now and I believe I will be heading north from here. in two weeks I will be going to Utah to the salt flats for the Motorcycle Land speed record attempts and will be in Moab as well I would love to meet up with some people and see what's around.

When ever I can get my pics uploaded I will post up a bunch! There are some really neat ones from over 14,000 feet!

talk to you soon!

TheMike

Adventurer
Eric. Get up in Northern CO and let's run a trail or two.

When do you plan on getting back home?

LJRockstar

Adventurer
OK here's some pics, They are all out of order, but still very neat!

IMG_0006-2.jpg

IMG_0037-1.jpg

IMG_0016-2.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

There are a ton more pics HERE.

panzer

Observer
Erik,
It was cool to meet you on the 8th or 9th?
The trailer had no issues. Just like we discussed.. other than Black Bear you should have no issues with puling the trailer on most any trail during your travels. Even came down the wall on Poughkeepsie Gulch trial no problem.

Greating meeting you while you were on your adventure.
CAS

For the gallery, I was running around the Ouray, Silverton, Telluride area with a group of Toyota wheelers from the DFW area. We were wheeling and camping along the trail as we went. We came out the spur to Engineer pass, just south of Ouray, and this red headed jeeper comes running up asking about my M101 attached to the back of my FZJ80 and had I had any issues with running along the trails with it.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Wow Sorry I havn't posted up in so long. There has been MUCH progress! I spent a week in Salida CO at the All 4 Fun charity event put on by Mile High Jeep Club. I went with Steve and his family from Off Road Only and Rick from ORO with his Brother Mike and Sister Kate and his sisters Friend Jen. Later in the week another one of his customers Shaun, came out from SLC UT. We went out trail riding every day but wednesday, that was the Vendor day and there were no organized rides. Here is a few pics from All 4 Fun:

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

From there I traveled to Camp Hale CO where my Grandfather was trained before He was sent to the mountains on Italy durring WWII. It was really neat to see that place. While I was there I learned that there was a reunion going on with most of the Surviving members of the 10th Mountain Division in attendance. That was a real treat to get to talk to a few of the guys that had been there when it was in operation.

After that I went to Ouray CO to do some more trail riding. While I was there I ran Imogene Pass, Paughkeepsie Gulch (twice!) Hurricane Pass, California Gulch, Mineral Point, Engineer Pass, And a few others.

ImogenePassOuryCO.jpg

Currently I'm in MOAB!!!! My first day here I went to Arches National park. What an AMAZING place! I felt as if I was driving around on the moon! There is an amazing history behind how all of those crazy rock fromations happened. If you have never been there it is a MUST SEE!

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

On Saturday I Met up with the Caine Family while I was airing down before heading to Metal Masher. It was nice to have Someone with me "Just in case." That was a really neat trail with some amazing scenery and REALLY difficult obsticals!

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Yesterday I went into Canyonlands NP to get set up with a Backcountry pass to run the white rim trail. All I saw of the park is what I could see from the access road and it literally took my breath away! I am so excited to do the White Rim!!

I have uploaded somewhere near 1000 pictures to my Photobucket since I left NJ. Here is the link to that: Photobucket

I'm sure there will be a TON of photo's from the White rim Run. Tomorrow Iam going to check out some of the trails that are south of town. If anyone is in the area and wants to Get together and run a few trails by all means contact me! Doesn't have to be a Jeep! I'm an equal opportunity wheeler!

Talk to ya soon!

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Good stuff there. What trails did you run when you were in and around Salida? Like the Ouray/Telluride area, it seems to be a popular place to hold 4wd events in Colorado (since we don't really have any OHV parks).

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
:clapsmile I'm loving your updates and pics Eric!

I head west in 25 days, maybe we'll cross paths in Wyoming/Montana, or later once you get back to NJ. You are coming back right ?! :shakin:

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Jacket said:
Good stuff there. What trails did you run when you were in and around Salida? Like the Ouray/Telluride area, it seems to be a popular place to hold 4wd events in Colorado (since we don't really have any OHV parks).

We did Chinaman Gulch, Iron Chest, went to the top of Mt. Antero (I
can't remember the name of the trail) St. Elmo and a SUPER EASY scenic day. At the end of Chinaman we hung out at the exit from Carnage Canyon for a while to watch the insanity!

All in all I had a blast and met a bunch of real cool people.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Eric..where are you? In WY, heading through ID enroute to SW Montana tomorrow. I'll try your cell again tomorrow.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
if you havent headed east yet, put hilton head, and charleston SC on your list of to dos, and Savannah GA, nothing like colonial towns

lookin good man!!

stjjames

Observer
Awesome - this is the first trip report I can really relate to - Love the wheels !!!
If you head up Oregon/Washington - hit me up, I'll show ya around. :)

DaJudge

Explorer
seth_js said:
Wow, are you in for a treat.

X2! I came out here for the first time in 2001. Came again in 2002, 2003 and in 2004 I moved here! I love the west!

I think Scott's suggestions will have you hitting the high points. It is impossible to see everything there is to see out here, no matter how much time you put in.

If you decide to come to Santa Fe (which I highly recommend) from the Ouray-Durango area take 160 from Durango to Pagosa Springs and then 84 south into Santa Fe. Very beautiful drive (think Georgia O'Keeffe).

Also let me know, we can meet for lunch/dinner whatever at the Coyote Cantina for beer and some really good food.

Glen

EDIT: Sorry guys I had a glitch and I didn't get all of the thread until I actually posted. I didn't realize he was already rollin! DUH!

Last edited:

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Hi Every one... Let me begin by apologizing for disappearing for so long. The last leg of the trip turned into a marathon! I Have Tons of pics to upload, But currently I have a very poor connection. So stay tuned! I have returned to the east coast. I am currently in the process of moving into my new house in South Philly PA. Once I get the Broad band going. I will be posting like a mad man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online