North American Adventure

articulate

Expedition Leader
LJRockstar said:
I know a lot of you are Photographers, If you see some thing with these pics, could you let me know how I could make them better. I would love to take amazing photo's like some of the ones I have seen here.
Or should I just start a new thread?
I say start a new thread so the entire thing is dedicated to your travel progress.

Photo suggestions:
  • Shoot early in the day or late in the day for that "softer" light (example here, late after noon)
  • Get closer. Were there little critters on the shoreline of Erie? Close up of your bike with the lake in the background maybe. Closer closer closer. (example here)
  • Work an item of interest into the foreground (example here bush in foreground, neat rock thing in the background)
  • Change up your position: crouch (example here), get the camera close to the ground, or hold it up in the air and shoot downward (example here). Experiment and play.
  • A polarizer will do some good, but I think you have all the tools you need to make nice photos.

Your camera is fine. Put on your creativity hat and go wild.

Cool trip BTW.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
A few questions, Erik. You're using a laptop on the road, I assume. What service are you using to get online? Cellular Internet, or are you rockin' Netstumbler, and cruisin' till you find an open network?

Also, would you be willing to change your photo hosting service to Flickr? Its a social app, and would be a great way to share your adventure. Only costs $25 per year. I'd love to use it to feed photos of your travels directly to my browser, and my web site ixplor.us if you're interested.

Finally, would you be willing to e-mail my a GPX or KML file every day? I might be able to do something with that too. If you've got complete movement data, I could plot it on an online map.

fisher205

Explorer
Just saw this thread, I'm two hours west of the Badlands, in Spearfish,on the northern part of the Black Hills. PM if you are coming through. But I am planning on leaving for the Big Horns on Friday. Take a lot of water to the Badlands, it is hot there in the summer, but this year they should be very scenic due to a lot of spring moisture. Have a good trip - Brad

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
I went to college at Appalachian State U in Boone. Nullifier has some great suggestions for that area.

I would add Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mtn and Banner Elk as must sees in the area as well. If you like old mercantile's, the Merc in Valle Crucis is another one worth popping into.

They have several great fairs and festivals in the area too. We love the Wooly Worm festival in Banner Elk and the Apple Festival in Valle Crucis. Great food, music and crafts.

A drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway is hard to beat too.

I DEF. second all of this. I live in the small town of Travelers Rest, SC and have been to many of these places. I also second and STRONGLY Recommend skipping the major interstates. The Blue Ridge parkway is AMAZINGLY beautiful; just don't be in a hurry when you drive it b/c you'll be looking out the windows more than out the windshield while you drive it. There's several pulloffs along the way as well w/ great views.
If you have any specific q.'s regarding NC or SC, def. lemme know. I'm very familiar with a lot of the "back-country" parts. It's all I have to entertain myself and my Jeep til I can go to CO next summer! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
LJRockstar said:
Here you go!
The rig
IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

The most recent photos of the trailer. There has been much progress, but I'm working on it at a friends fab shop in Kingston NY, and I always forget my camera when I go up there!

45E0BA6500052CA2000066812216549976C.jpg

45E0BA4F000F14410000625C2216549976C.jpg

45E0BA1900067240000052762216549976C.jpg

45E0BA84000C17BA00006CBD2216549976C.jpg

45E0BAA8000D80DB0000744D2216549976C.jpg

You have officially taken my dream from me (which I have had since the Unlimited Rubicons debuted) and realized it before I had the chance. I'm extremely excited for you and I know you'll love this trip. It only makes me want to do it that much more. Good luck again!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Unless you have unlimited time & $$, get out west asap. I grew up a couple miles from the Blue Ridge Pkwy in NC, (Asheville) and yes it's nice. But it has nothing on some of the drives you'll be taking out here. The scale is just so much larger out here. NC/Pkwy is a day drive from your place, you can enjoy that at a later time.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
I have near unlimited time, But not$$$:) I'm making my way Pretty nicely. I am near St. Paul MN today, I stopped at Off Road Only today to see waht it is that they do. Really cool group of guys, I was amazed at how much actual labor goes into making their parts! There is ZERO autimation and ZERO CNC operations! All of their stuff is made inhouse on Manual lathes, mills and saws! There are only a few small things that they outsource. They invited me to go Wheeling with them tomorrow through Sunday! So I will have some more interesting pics after that.

For now here is a few from the last few days.

This is a really strange Paving Technique they use in WI. I immagine that it is to combat cracks from frost heaves.
IMG_0027.jpg

This is a poor attempt at getting a shot of the Chicago skyline as I went by at 70 MPH. Boy I can't wait to slow it down some when I get to the mountains!
IMG_0026.jpg

Here I'm at the Indiana Sand Dunes State Park. One of the Rangers was nice enough to let me out on the beach for a few pics.
IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

I was messing around with the Manual settings on my Camera I thought these were kinda neat. You can see right through me in the one!
IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0004-2.jpg

ox4mag

Explorer
You visited the guys at Off Road Only? Please tell Steve (the owner) that I said hello from JPFreek. He was very gracious in providing us an item for review in the magazine and I'm sure he'll show you a good time on the trails out there. Keep us posted, and have fun!!!

-Frank

Rubi-Khan

Observer
I don't know how I missed this thread! I might be interested in hooking up for part of your Colorado/Moab adventure!

I noticed we also have similar rigs!

Shoot me a PM if interested!

LJRockstar

Adventurer
So I went to Iron Range OHV park in Gilbert MN this weekend! What a cool bunch of Jeepers! They were having an event called "Crawl 4 the Cure". They have the better part of a whole campground rented out and most people got to the campground on Friday. We didn't get there till early evening on friday, so we didn't get out on the trails on friday but I did get my rig regestered and teched by the Ranger at the park. All the tech inspection consisted of was a sound check and if you have GOOD fire extinguishers. Friday night they had a BIG BBQ on quite possibly the biggest Webber style charcoal grill I have ever seen! had to be about 5 feet in diameter. Just before we got to the BBQ/Party tent, one of the guys in the MN Jeep club got married!

It was a realy cool party atmosphere, and EVERYONE was great! I really felt like I was at home there. Great group of people!!! We all hung out around a campfire talking jeep till late.

EARLY on Saturday morning we got up, discoed, aired down and headed out to the Park. There was a dirt road that went straight from the Campground to the park entrance. Once inside we all got into our groups and headed out to the trails. My Host for the weekend was Rick Manis from ORO. I can't thank him enough for all that he did for me! The guy even let me stay at his house last night! He introduced me to damn near everyone at the event ant there was around 100 to 125 jeeps there!

The Park is an old iron mine, so the dirt is rust colored and gets EVERYWHERE!!!! Most of the rocks are very brittle shale that at times sounds like your driving over broken glass. The other rocks are very similar to what is at Rausch Creek in PA. The trails vary from roads you could drive a civic on, to stuff that guys in coilover hydrosteer buggies with 49s couldn't get through.

My group stayed on mostly medium blacks. Really cool trail system.

Here are the pics of Saturday's ride:
IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Saturday night was the BIG party night! They had Dinner donated by Famous Dave's BBQ, If you've never had this before, you need to try it! I know they are in NJ there is one in Hillsborough. There was an awards ceremony for Some of the big contributors and for the Rigs. Best, ugliest, engineering, etc. Than the Raffle. They had a 20 foot deck trailer completly covered with donated raffle prizes! The raffle took a solid 2 hrs! The also had a raffle to win a really nice custom built YJ.

P1010238.JPG

Early sunday morning it started to rain. And it didn't stop till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. So the trails were a MESS!!!! Ton of fun!

Here's Sunday's pics:

IMG_0016-1.jpg

IMG_0004_1.jpg

There is a BUNCH more pics on my photobucket HERE. I have a bunch of good video's of the last obstical on a trail called High Voltage. It is a sieries of 18-20" diameter logs layed across the trail on a slope and they are backfilled with dirt looks a lot like a staircase and each step is specifically spaced to challenge the common wheelbases. On saturday, I saw three people break HARD. Sunday it was covered in mud and even more difficult! I'm working on uploading them so if they arn't there yet try back another time.

Right now I'm in Sioux Falls SD on my way to Rapid City. Gonna see if I can wheel there some, but not sure yet. From there I'm Going to meet up with the whole ORO crew at the Run 4 Fun in CO. More info on that later!

McJeep

If you get to SO Cal drop a line or PM, look us up on Adventure 4x4.net.
We will be doing the same thing is a few years.:bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online