North American Ramblings of a Perpetual Transient

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I reckon I could match Lance's offer for a place to rest up if needed. We are in the northwest corner of AZ so drop me an email or PM if you are in the area. Wearing a ski outfit would be a bit different take on a Baja beach.
Mikey

Excellant! Yeah, I haven't sent a ton of time in AZ so I really look forward to any must see/do routes in the region. Thanks for the offer, I will shoot you a line if I get in that area for sure.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Use your winter ski gear to do a little water skiing! Now, that would a shot...

We will be a in white LC pulling an e1 camper with bikes and kayaks...

Enjoy your travels. I have heard from numerous sources that many roads down south are being graded. Safe travels!

Are you referring to southern Utah or Mexico? If you see a green Disco with an RTT and packed to the gills broke down on the side of the road.... Lend a tow strap eh? :sombrero:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Why not just take the 80? Gas mileage can't be that different... I will assume it is in Mi, and the Disco is in Co?? As for the skis in baja, I have spent quite a bit of time with surfboard fins sticking out of boardbags in ski resorts.:sombrero: Have fun, post pics!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The 80 is basically in storage right now. I have a list of stuff I am doing to it when I get back. Basically a lot of upkeep. It has a leaky rear main seal, bad downpipes, a rebuilt front axle that I had swapped on it from Cruiserparts.net that is whining badly with some additional bad birfield sounds, and a bunch of other litte things I want to address. Also planning on swapping on a set of 33x10.50 all terrains to make it more roadable versus the 33x12.50 mud terrains. Once done I will probably sell the Discovery and use the Cruiser for trips and adventures and look for a pickup for a daily driver and future camper project. The Discovery has been great but the 80 has a lot more room and is more capable. Hoping I can even out the mileage a bit between the two with the less aggressive, skinny tires and a good tune up.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Sounds like a fun trip. Taking the back seat out will free up a lot of room. Are you going to the Overland Expo this year?

I am going to try and leave it in if I can. My plan is to ship my work gear ahead so I don't have to drag it with me the entire time and I might have a passenger or two ride along for parts of the trip so if I can leave some seats I will try. Nah, no Expo for me this year, the dates overlap nationals now that they moved it forward a week which is a bummer as I had a blast there last year. Planning on meeting up with some folks post expo though if it works out.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
0fd0c30e.jpg

Well, got the truck up on the rack to investigate a new leak today. Seems the front seal has a slight leak but nothing major. Changed the oil, lubed it up, and also had TJ help fab me up a mounting adapter so I can do my fork mount for my mountain bike off of the back of the roof basket and hang the bike vertically. I am considering what I should bring for spares right now, visited Scott's critical spares list for the D1. I have spare belts and a decent tool kit I travel with. Considering picking up a fuel pump along the way possibly. Truck is running great. Thanks to TJ at UP Auto Tech for the help! His shop rocks and he does just about everything there includig slider and bumper fabbing. They are our official service provider for UP Overland and help out on the trips too. Can't say enough good stuff about TJ and crew.

Next up is tuning up the mountain bike and starting the process of packing.

taco2go

Explorer
Always enjoy sharing your travels Kristian.
Spotty internet out here in the Indian boonies, but just wanted to cheer on one of the UPO stalwarts heading out on another memorable journey. Looking forward to the pictures and stories.
:smiley_drive:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Always enjoy sharing your travels Kristian.
Spotty internet out here in the Indian boonies, but just wanted to cheer on one of the UPO stalwarts heading out on another memorable journey. Looking forward to the pictures and stories.
:smiley_drive:

Hey Joash, thanks. When do you return from India? Looking forward to the entertainment of you and Hod around the campfire spinning tales this summer! I am bringing my djembe this year so we can really boogie! Oh, meant to mention, you made me that cd of you playing wagon wheel that I loved, well, dumb me, when I sold my Tundra I accidentally left that in the cd player.... d'oh! I will settle for a live version this summer. haha

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Another cold day! I tell you, mother nature isn't giving me any motivation to stick around longer, sheesh. After working outside on some last minute preparations today for a couple of hours I was frozen to the bone. This is coming from a guy who stands on mountains all day for a living too. Ha ha

Well, I tuned up the mountain bike and gave it some needed loving. Managed to true the rear wheel up decently but that wheel has been nearing the end for some time now and I keep milking it a bit longer.

81ff6703.jpg

Trusty but a bit crusty the Epic is dialed in after collecting dust since October. We have a finite riding season here that's for sure. Some hardcore Pugsly riders brave the winters and ride some of the coastlines where there is less snow but most sane people strap on skis and snow shoes.

e91518fe.jpg

I tried out the new bike mount setup, seems to work well, has a bit of play from the rail flexing but it is about as good as I can get it it.

490ea7e0.jpg

I also threw my genuine Land Rover waterproof seat covers on the front seats to save them from the inevitable wear and tear from the dust, sand, and grime on the road.

Most of the gear is sorted, just trying to make it all fit which will be a decent challenge still. Hoping to get on the road tomorrow and blast straight across to CO, 1,200 miles.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thought you might get a chuckle out of this Kristian...

I was checking out the latest posts here and my boy Cam was watching over my shoulder...

"So Dad, whose truck is that?"
"Thats Upcruiser's Disco. You know, the guy from the UP that helped us with planning our Michigan trip"
"Cool, that guys awesome"

Than he spotted this pic...

e91518fe.jpg

Then he turns to me and says..."Cool license plate! UP OVERLORD! That rocks!"

Before I could clearify he was off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77