OBA

cr500taco

Adventurer
I have a quick air2 in the Jeep. Its been a huge disappointment. Currently running an MV-50 in the truck but my plan is to go CO2. Then I can I can use it in either vehicle. I also want something capable of reseating a bead. CO2 fits the bill there.

How's the MV-50? I was looking at that one. Don't know if I will have the need to deal with CO2.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
No problems with the compressor mounted under the vehicle with moisture, dust, mud and dirt? I was wondering about the possibility of putting the ARB compressor under the truck instead of the engine bay, since they say it's sealed for moisture and dust.

wondering about this location and it being exposed to water mud and dust. is it a problem?

No problems yet. We have relocated the intakes up the fuel fill (highest point) for guys that really get em nasty.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Even though I have a Powertank, I usually end up using this small air compressor from a Porsche Cayenne spare tire kit. It's pretty rad and about $90 online.

bluejeep

just a guy
I liked the low rpm that the 110V units turn at versus the higher rpms the 12 Volt units spin at.

Wound up fixing an inverter into the Jeep (handy for other things as well), and a Harbor Freight compressor by Central Pneumatics I believe the mfg was. This works well, I run 35" tires, and I used to have a trailer to tow the Jeep with that used airbags for suspension, and this compressor pushed the pressure to 110 psi in the bags w/o much effort. I hard mounted the unit under the hood of the Wrangler.

I have the same setup in my Dodge Dakota, but I did not hard mount it, it stows in the bed and I have an extension cord to run from the inverter to where ever I need the compressor.

Both have performed flawlessly (albiet under very intermittent use) for 10 years now (Jeep) and 5 years (Dodge)

I happened to be using this unit over the weekend and thought of this thread again. Couple of specs I thought I would mention, to compare apples to apples. 3/4 horsepower, 2 CFM, 100% duty cycle. Didn't snap a pic but it looks just like the puma compressor, could be rebadging maybe?

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Interesting...
Looks like two separate failures (defective (ungreased) bearing that overheated and electrical connection failure). I say 'separate' because had the bearing seized, it should've caused the fuse to blow, not the plug.

Duly noted though.
A buddy of mine actually had that exact same "T" type connector on his compressor burn up the same way on our last trip in the Sierras, no failure within the compressor itself (not an ARB, I forget the brand, sortof resembles the Viair units). Was running fine, and then like it just turned off. Maybe I'll swap my connector out for something more robust just to avoid a hassle in the future (I don't think the connector is rated more than 20 amps, yet these compressors all draw well in excess of 30 when under some load, so you can see the problem there).

As for the original compressor, it's pt# was RDCKA (replaced by CKMA12). ARB did claim the #RDCKA was suitable for inflating tires and such (and they sold a tire inflation hose kit specifically to use with it too).
You're thinking of the little one made for comp buggies (#CKSA12), which is the one not intended for tire inflation (which is still in production as well).

It's hard to say if they are separate events. I can say, b/c I think I didn't offer it, is that the comp would still run...yet very labored, so it didn't seize. I expected it to seize. You are probably right that the connector is not rated as high as the fuse! The other side of the connector was perfectly fine. I think the thermal protection did not activate like it should have. I'd like to see what you are thinking for a replacement connector if it's not too much of a bother. The new comp I got does still use the same connector. hahahaa

Thanks for clarifying which compressors were being talked about too. :)

Nice to the plethora of setups out there to-date.

Looks like a guy here selling his Viar setup: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...80c-Air-Compressor-Setup-With-Tank-amp-Valves

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'd like to see what you are thinking for a replacement connector if it's not too much of a bother.

I was thinking Deans Ultra t-plugs only because I already have a stash of them in my supply bag for my R/C model car. I seem to recall they're rated at something like 60A or so continuous, and are quite a bit smaller than the plastic T-plug ARB uses too (which is hardly anything more than a plastic housing w/lock tab containing a pair of standard quick-connect wiring terminals).

45A Anderson PowerPole connectors would probably work well for this also.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I happened to be using this unit over the weekend and thought of this thread again. Couple of specs I thought I would mention, to compare apples to apples. 3/4 horsepower, 2 CFM, 100% duty cycle. Didn't snap a pic but it looks just like the puma compressor, could be rebadging maybe?

I was noticing that, also when I looked at both of them online.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I wasn't sure what direction to go either. I don't have air lockers, but will in due time. My truck is a reg cab 4x4 and space is very limited. I have a 5-gal air tank as well as a Viair 450C compressor and all the fittings, switches, gauges, air line, etc to have a full OBA system. I couldn't find a suitable place to permanently mount this setup without taking up valuable space in the bed since I'll be sleeping in there. There's not much room under the truck either. I sat on it for a while, then I decided to buy a compact portable air compressor. Mine is a cheap Smittybilt setup that I picked up at 4-Wheel Parts for $69.99+$7.99 for a 3 year warranty. This will air 35"+ tires and can do 150psi. It comes in a little bag, and has battery leads with clamps, coiled air hose, fittings, and a gauge. I can always add a small 2-3 gallon air tank for use with lockers, etc, although I've pretty much decided that I could get more use out of a nitrogen tank for that purpose. Anyway, that's what I ended up with, it's small and fits behind my seat even with the bench seat pushed all the way back. I've used the compressor a handful of times in the last month or so and it has been great.

Is this the smittybilt compressor you are talking about? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/2-54-CFM-Air-Compressor.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=190&t_pt=100437&t_pn=S%2fB2780

How fast does it air up your tires?
I talked to Smittybilt about adding a tank to it and the guy I talked to said it cannot be done.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
My OBA is a 20-gal 1.5HP belt-driven electric contractor air compressor. I separated the tank and the compressor unit. The tank is mounted under the frame and the compressor unit is in one of the external accessory compartments. The two are connected by a custom-made flexible braided and high temp ptfe hose. Tank output is fed through a 25-ft retractable reel that is mounted under the body and is easily accessible. It cuts off at 135psi. I installed this after many frustrations using small compressors trying to air up 6 33" tires on 19.5 wheels deflated to 15 psi for deep sand. Now it just takes a few minutes to bring all 6 tires to 65psi for highway driving.

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
oasis - king of 12v, but huge
extreme air magnum - great and a bit more manageable size
puma - best cost/performance value

viar and arb are overpriced for their performance

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Is this the smittybilt compressor you are talking about? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/2-54-CFM-Air-Compressor.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=190&t_pt=100437&t_pn=S%2fB2780

How fast does it air up your tires?
I talked to Smittybilt about adding a tank to it and the guy I talked to said it cannot be done.

i think the reason they say you cant is because of the duty cycle. can only run for 40mins before you have to shut it off and let it cool, when looking at compressors, look at 100% duty cycle, which can run for hours at a time. i ran my puma for like an hour once filling up a few rigs lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad