OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

Dweller Feller

Air-conditioning improvement??? Dweller 15. I'm headed to South Lake Tahoe next week. The forecast shows high of 86° in the shade. I have never liked how the under bunker conditioner did not recycle cold air from inside the cabin. The way it is set up from the factory it's taking non air-conditioned hot air from under the bed and running it through the air conditioner. Even the instructions clearly site not to do this. I do realize there is a small vent on the wall under the bed but was looking for a way to improve the system. I built some duct work with foamboard and cut a hole in the bottom cabinet section so that it's able to draw air in from the cabin. I also cut a piece of cabinetry that was restricting airflow into the air conditioner. The thought of course is to recycle the air and every time it goes to the AC system it gets colder and colder. I don't really have any way to measure success. I'll let you know after my week in Tahoe. The campground has no hookups so if I want to run the air conditioner it will be off the generator. Luckily I won't have to deal with humidity. Humidity is usually about 10% in Tahoe.
How did ur a/c modification work out ?

Thx

cyber_danimal

Hi folks, I've had my Dweller 13 for almost a year now but I've only taken it out a few times (because I was unemployed for a bit). Anywho. I am going to start on a few upgrades this week, one of which is some stick on insulations panels under the bed area. Its about 4mm foam with the silver top. I can feel the cold straight through the spring mattress. And speaking of the mattress, I have decided to get 2 twin mattresses as my camper only came with a queen size. The 2 twins can stack as opposed to folding. Also, I'm thinking of adding a 12v heating pad, as I like having the air a little colder, but the bed nice and toasty :D . I'll take some before and after pics.

After that will be 2 SOK Lithium 280ah batteries to replace the 3 normal batteries, but those are a little to expensive right now.

cyber_danimal

Does anyone else's Propane/CO detector keep going off, for a propane leak, even though all the windows are open, the system has been vented, and NO PROPANE has been hooked up for a week? I've already changed out the detector for a new one!! I'm about to hit the welding supply and see how I can get CO2 with the same connector so I can purge the system after use. I'm also going to buy another propane detector and if it doesn't sense anything maybe the installed one is tripping on battery off gassing?

AMMO461

Does anyone else's Propane/CO detector keep going off, for a propane leak, even though all the windows are open, the system has been vented, and NO PROPANE has been hooked up for a week? I've already changed out the detector for a new one!! I'm about to hit the welding supply and see how I can get CO2 with the same connector so I can purge the system after use. I'm also going to buy another propane detector and if it doesn't sense anything maybe the installed one is tripping on battery off gassing?
Yes, ours did for the first few months until I realized it was from any Plastic or vinyl made in China, High VOC materials off gassing in the enclosed environment. Here in the desert the heat inside the enclosed camper gets so hot it was causing the materials to off-gas and the alarm to go off. Especially if the plastic or vinyl material was on the floor, directly below the sensor. I cut the wire and installed a switch, that way it is not sniffing while it is sitting in storage config and we can turn it on when we are using it.

cyber_danimal

Yes, ours did for the first few months until I realized it was from any Plastic or vinyl made in China, High VOC materials off gassing in the enclosed environment. Here in the desert the heat inside the enclosed camper gets so hot it was causing the materials to off-gas and the alarm to go off. Especially if the plastic or vinyl material was on the floor, directly below the sensor. I cut the wire and installed a switch, that way it is not sniffing while it is sitting in storage config and we can turn it on when we are using it.
Colorado summer has also been brutal. This idea is gold. Didn't even think of a switch lol. Gonna get one today

Suns_PSD

Guys, I'll keep this post short and sweet.
I'm a Texan buying a caravan directly from Compaks. It's custom speced and MUCH nicer than a D15. Indoor/ outdoor kitchen, dinette up front that converts to a bed, 13.5 BTU roof mounted AC system, 400 Li battery system, power top, I could go on. The spec and colors can no longer be altered.
The cost is very reasonable but would be a few thousand less if 2 were ordered, primarily because 2 can fit in each shipping container but also because a volume discount applies.
If you are someone interested in buying the other unit so that we can split all costs, can pay cash, and are willing to pick up your unit at the Houston port, please PM me. I don't want to distract this thread but the cost for this unit would be around $29k.
I'll delete this post once I order one, or get a partner as I don't want to distract from the fantastic D15 info.
Thanks.

Anyone even considering this?

It would be a much nicer version of the Dweller 15. We can do pick up at the Long Beach Port for sub $30K or pick up at the Houston Port for sub $33K. If you have a dweller 13 but are wanting to upgrade, this might be a route to go. You'll lose money on the D13 but you'll still be making a huge upgrade for the same $.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger but shipping is per container and 2 units can fit in each container. Two units reduces the per unit cost about $3K for west Coast pick up and about $5K for Houston pickup.

If you have been shopping for a left over '22 Dweller, this is an opportunity to buy a much improved and better featured '25 version for similar money. Larger roof mounted AC, power everything, Frig & stove top indoor as well as outdoor, Lithium batteries and so on.

Let me know guys/ gals.

I'm working with the freight forwarders now on the final details before pulling the trigger. If the RV market was still up and there were not a bunch of D15s being blown out, I'd order 2 and just sell one off. But realistically, in a private sale, even a great speced unit, is probably only worth $30-35K.

Last edited:

rblitz

Mine did, mostly when temps got above 80 degrees F. Last month I both the exact model and installed it with the required 1Amp inline fuse (which wasn't installed by Obi) and have not had it go off all summer. My theory is that plastic fumes or adhesives from the manufacturing process reach critical levels in heat and trip a sensor that was faulty (or old, they have a limited lifespan.) But that's just speculation on my part.

TonyJ

Has anyone had any success at removing scratches from their trailer windows? I've got an OBI Dweller, & have put some pretty good pinstripes on the windows, & don't want to make it worse by "fixing" it.

gendlert

Has anyone had any success at removing scratches from their trailer windows? I've got an OBI Dweller, & have put some pretty good pinstripes on the windows, & don't want to make it worse by "fixing" it.
I've got 'em too. Chicks dig scars. Glad you're having real fun with your Dweller!

Dweller Feller

Anyone even considering this?

It would be a much nicer version of the Dweller 15. We can do pick up at the Long Beach Port for sub $30K or pick up at the Houston Port for sub $33K. If you have a dweller 13 but are wanting to upgrade, this might be a route to go. You'll lose money on the D13 but you'll still be making a huge upgrade for the same $.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger but shipping is per container and 2 units can fit in each container. Two units reduces the per unit cost about $3K for west Coast pick up and about $5K for Houston pickup.

If you have been shopping for a left over '22 Dweller, this is an opportunity to buy a much improved and better featured '25 version for similar money. Larger roof mounted AC, power everything, Frig & stove top indoor as well as outdoor, Lithium batteries and so on.

Let me know guys/ gals.

I'm working with the freight forwarders now on the final details before pulling the trigger. If the RV market was still up and there were not a bunch of D15s being blown out, I'd order 2 and just sell one off. But realistically, in a private sale, even a great speced unit, is probably only worth $30-35K.
Do u have pics ? Anything to avoid giving money to obi is a smart move !
Is there a warranty ? And if so, who would cover it ? Not that it matters. Sounds like ur getting a great deal. Smart move !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL

Members online