OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

cyber_danimal

Mine did, mostly when temps got above 80 degrees F. Last month I both the exact model and installed it with the required 1Amp inline fuse (which wasn't installed by Obi) and have not had it go off all summer. My theory is that plastic fumes or adhesives from the manufacturing process reach critical levels in heat and trip a sensor that was faulty (or old, they have a limited lifespan.) But that's just speculation on my part.
Installed a little switch, LED comes on when power is on to device. Really simple. And I put some insulation down under the bed.

Attachments

• IMG_20240807_200146.jpg
    IMG_20240807_200146.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240807_200204.jpg
    IMG_20240807_200204.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240807_200213.jpg
    IMG_20240807_200213.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240807_205146.jpg
    IMG_20240807_205146.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17

irishgrey

New here, but thank you to all who contribute, it's been a great resource in finding my way round my D13.

Added some useful items photos attached.

Molle panel on the tool box for rec boards.

Hitch receiver for bike rack

Moved propane tank to fit gas can holder

Added a Starlink, didn’t want to drill roof so used the excess thread on the awning bolts and attached a steel Z bracket. (For stationery use only)

I have an Anderson plug at the back of my truck, I spoke to an auto electrician who told me I can connect the Anderson plug on my D13 direct to my truck to charge my batteries while driving. Want to dbl check this before I do it, has anyone did this ? Any problems ?

Attachments

• IMG_8352.jpg
    IMG_8352.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8354.jpg
    IMG_8354.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8353.jpg
    IMG_8353.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8355.jpg
    IMG_8355.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8356.jpg
    IMG_8356.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 16

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

New here, but thank you to all who contribute, it's been a great resource in finding my way round my D13.

Added some useful items photos attached.

Molle panel on the tool box for rec boards.

Hitch receiver for bike rack

Moved propane tank to fit gas can holder

Added a Starlink, didn’t want to drill roof so used the excess thread on the awning bolts and attached a steel Z bracket. (For stationery use only)

I have an Anderson plug at the back of my truck, I spoke to an auto electrician who told me I can connect the Anderson plug on my D13 direct to my truck to charge my batteries while driving. Want to dbl check this before I do it, has anyone did this ? Any problems ?

You do have a DC-DC Charger on the trailer right?

Suns_PSD

Do u have pics ? Anything to avoid giving money to obi is a smart move !
Is there a warranty ? And if so, who would cover it ? Not that it matters. Sounds like ur getting a great deal. Smart move !

I have diagrams and they are working on the contract now that spells everything out that is included. Compaks is a major RV provider for the entire planet. It would be similar to ordering a new custom RV from any US manufacturer from a risk perspective.

If you are interested in nitty gritty specifics as you might move forward with me, please PM me, as I don't want to distract from this thread more than needed. But I viewed about 5 different layouts and choose a layout that I think is far superior to others that I have seen. It's also more expensive with more content. I could order a D15 style from them for thousands less for example, but I wanted the best I could get. What I would say about my layout is that it prioritizes the traveling lifestyle with wife and my one kid but I would never 'live' in my RV. I find most configurations, like the Opus 15 for example, have more clothes storage than I have at home in my home master closet. Which just seems like a colossal waste of space. The kid is up front in a bed that's converted from a dinette where you can face the others (huge advantage imo). I want privacy with my wife at the other end of the trailer. We also have curtains that provide privacy for my kid up front as well as us in the back.

You have the exact same warranty that you have on any RV. The manufacturers of the various systems warranty their components directly, and you are essentially on your own for everything else. They do have a lifetime warranty on their frame structure (something you don't get with a US manufactured RV) but I have no idea how you would claim it. Taking your RV in for service is pretty dumb. They hold them for 6 months and then don't fix them right anyways. Anyone that buys an RV needs to be a DIYer. You of course can claim warranty on latches and what not and they will send them right out, but it'll be coming from China.

I will say this, by the time you order from China, ship it, un-pallet it, pay import duties, ship it across the country & mark it up, well any price less than $40K is VERY fair, even for a D15. This project isn't about saving money, it's about getting a superior product.

If MDC offered the same layout in stock right now in the USA, I would stroke them a check today for it. But they don't.

Last edited:

Dweller Feller

I have diagrams and they are working on the contract now that spells everything out that is included. Compaks is a major RV provider for the entire planet. It would be similar to ordering a new custom RV from any US manufacturer from a risk perspective.

If you are interested in nitty gritty specifics as you might move forward with me, please PM me, as I don't want to distract from this thread more than needed. But I viewed about 5 different layouts and choose a layout that I think is far superior to others that I have seen. It's also more expensive with more content. I could order a D15 style from them for thousands less for example, but I wanted the best I could get. What I would say about my layout is that it prioritizes the traveling lifestyle with wife and my one kid but I would never 'live' in my RV. I find most configurations, like the Opus 15 for example, have more clothes storage than I have at home in my home master closet. Which just seems like a colossal waste of space. The kid is up front in a bed that's converted from a dinette where you can face the others (huge advantage imo). I want privacy with my wife at the other end of the trailer. We also have curtains that provide privacy for my kid up front as well as us in the back.

You have the exact same warranty that you have on any RV. The manufacturers of the various systems warranty their components directly, and you are essentially on your own for everything else. They do have a lifetime warranty on their frame structure (something you don't get with a US manufactured RV) but I have no idea how you would claim it. Taking your RV in for service is pretty dumb. They hold them for 6 months and then don't fix them right anyways. Anyone that buys an RV needs to be a DIYer. You of course can claim warranty on latches and what not and they will send them right out, but it'll be coming from China.

I will say this, by the time you order from China, ship it, un-pallet it, pay import duties, ship it across the country & mark it up, well any price less than $40K is VERY fair, even for a D15. This project isn't about saving money, it's about getting a superior product.

If MDC offered the same layout in stock right now in the USA, I would stroke them a check today for it. But they don't.
Sounds just like Obi, you are essentially on your own. Obi does what they can to not cover their warranties and u are on your own… Good luck with your purchase, sounds like a sweet rig. It would be nice to have direct access with compak, since they make the Dwellers. Obi, is useless ! I ordered a supposedly ( at least supposedly ) warrantied skylight directly from AUSTRALIA, because Obi, are not ”men of their word “ . I have email confirmations the part would be covered by Obi, as of now, Obi, does not answer their emails and are ghosting us. It’s nearly been a year. Mdc, down in California had the exact skylights available in their california warehouse but they where a little more expensive. So we saved a little $$$ and ordered another way. It still was not cheap though. It was still around $700.00 ish dollars Because of the shipping costs.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

My understanding is there are several Chinese mfg plants that make a very similar design as OBI, Black Series, Opus and MDC. I do believe that MDC uses a different MFGering plant then OBI. I know this plant sells what looks to be the same basic units as the MDC branded with different companies. You can see them on Alibaba.

Dweller Feller

All of these horrible stories about OBI .. I'm SO glad I got mine from ROA .. they do their best for their customers ... above and beyond actually ... and their support is TOP NOTCH ....
It did not. The kid that runs Obi, Vincent is in his mid 20's and has no idea how to run a business. I assume they do not care either. I have contacted every dealer on their webpage in regards to parts. All of them have the same snicker and say " good luck " . They want to help but their hands are tied due to Obi, being incompetent and not willing to do the right thing. The really strange thing is, we love our Dweller, it's been a great product, Just everything else about obi has sucked ! I contacted Roa, they really wanted to help out but same story. Vincent, with Obi is a conman. I would be surprised if Obi, makes it another 6 months to a year.

This forum has been great and a life saver !

Thx guys ! For all your knowledge !

Suns_PSD

My understanding is there are several Chinese mfg plants that make a very similar design as OBI, Black Series, Opus and MDC. I do believe that MDC uses a different MFGering plant then OBI. I know this plant sells what looks to be the same basic units as the MDC branded with different companies. You can see them on Alibaba.

I'd be curious which plant manufacturers MDC. Just because when I dig around MDC's, I see Compaks, but they claim otherwise. I really know what the look for now and next time I see an MDC I will look for a few things.

If anyone knows, please PM me.

Suns_PSD

All of these horrible stories about OBI .. I'm SO glad I got mine from ROA .. they do their best for their customers ... above and beyond actually ... and their support is TOP NOTCH ....

If I lived close to an ROA dealer, it would be worth the premium to me. As it is, it's a lot of premium to not be able to use their services based on my geography. ROA seems to be a class organization for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz