OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

henderson.341

With the hot summer months quickly approaching us I know many folks are trying to find ways to improve the air conditioning on the dweller. Specifically I'm looking at the dweller 15 and feel there needs to be an improved system to recirculate the cold air. The current air intake found on the end of the AC unit itself is underneath the bed. The recirculating air intake should be set up so that the air comes 100% from the passenger compartment of the dweller not from under the bed. This way the air-conditioning unit continues to recycle cold air making it colder each time it goes through the system. Just like the air conditioner in your house. The grill on the control panel wall is too far away from the air-conditioning unit intake and very inefficient. The AC unit is drawing air from under the bed not from the Passenger compartment. Here are a few pictures of the air intake. For the dweller 15 opening the lower cabinet door on the driver side would actually improve the air intake. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts and any ideas of a better way to improve the return air into the air-conditioning unit. I'm not sure how the dweller 13 is configured. Thanks

Did you ever figure out any mods with the cold air return to gain efficiency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freewayross

Adventurer
I like the Dwellers but not a fan of dealing with the cassette toilet. Has anyone converted theirs to composting? On the no cassette ones it's a relative simple DIY, not sure how involved it will be for this one.

rehammer81

I agree with Cowboy, I wasn't thrilled with the cassette toilet in my trailer, not a Dweller, at first but it really hasn't been a big deal. So far pretty easy to find a place to dump. It isn't nearly as gross as I expected it to be.

I think your issue with converting in the Dweller, if I am not mistaken, is the toilet is molded into the wet bath stall, unless that big molded section is a separate piece. I don't remember from when I have looked at a Dweller. My trailer has a Thetford cassette toilet that is more of single modular unit that would be pretty easy to swap out. I would just have to cover the hole in the wet bath stall wall that the cassette slides through. I've considered it but I'm not in a rush.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Question for those few that have replaced the corner struts with the ARK 2,000 lb ones. Which length did you use? The 650mm (25") seems too short to jack high enough, but the 850mm (33") seems too tall for the front of the camper (when they are closed). I just measured my camper height at the front jack at 23". This is with the camper level on concrete. The 33" jacks have a closed height of 23.5" (596 mm including the bracket). For those to work I would have to use the jockey wheel to raise the height a bit, at which point the camper isn't level any longer. It is a bit nose high.

tjtx

Question for those few that have replaced the corner struts with the ARK 2,000 lb ones. Which length did you use? The 650mm (25") seems too short to jack high enough, but the 850mm (33") seems too tall for the front of the camper (when they are closed). I just measured my camper height at the front jack at 23". This is with the camper level on concrete. The 33" jacks have a closed height of 23.5" (596 mm including the bracket). For those to work I would have to use the jockey wheel to raise the height a bit, at which point the camper isn't level any longer. It is a bit nose high.

I used the 650mm ones and i make up any differences with stackers. Parking in New Orleans a month ago and one of the 4 jacks was all the way down without anything underneath it to level it out, so definitely worked out the best. The stock jacks are roughly the same size when i measured.

CowboyKyle

I’m in Ohio. It’s not bad just made sense that the cold air return should be ducted to cabin and not under the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The factory AC design is pretty atrocious. You won't see better than 10° of difference from outside the camper to inside the camper. Even with a proper return. I know. I've done it, and this was the result.

Fisher160

I read through the thoughtful original post and about the first ten pages of this thread along with the last ten pages on the obi 15.
My wife and I are seriously considering this camper but would highly value input from those of you who have been in it for a while.
It sounds like there are a few upgrades (shocks, electical, fridge, batteries and maybe hitch) that most of the people eventually do. I am fine with those types of things as I am handy enough to take them on.
If you have been using it for a while, what do you like and don’t like about the OBI dweller? And maybe the biggest question, if you were shopping for a camper right now, would you buy this one again? There are a few out there right now and am considering making the move.
Thank you for your thoughts!
Apologies if I failed to find the response that answers my question somewhere in the 70 pages, I did try.

tjtx

I thought the cassette was gonna be a pain. Turns out it's pretty easy. I can dump anywhere.
Honestly it's super nice. I usually just end up dumping it into my sewage cleanout at home where I park the trailer at. Super easy to deal with and honestly very low mess.

I read through the thoughtful original post and about the first ten pages of this thread along with the last ten pages on the obi 15.
My wife and I are seriously considering this camper but would highly value input from those of you who have been in it for a while.
It sounds like there are a few upgrades (shocks, electical, fridge, batteries and maybe hitch) that most of the people eventually do. I am fine with those types of things as I am handy enough to take them on.
If you have been using it for a while, what do you like and don’t like about the OBI dweller? And maybe the biggest question, if you were shopping for a camper right now, would you buy this one again? There are a few out there right now and am considering making the move.
Thank you for your thoughts!
Apologies if I failed to find the response that answers my question somewhere in the 70 pages, I did try.
We don't own an OBI (we opted for their import cousin the Conqueror).
In reading every page of this thread, there are those that would purchase an OBI 15 now that the prices have come way down on them, and they would make the upgrades you already mentioned, plus maybe a few more. If you are seriously considering buying one, I think reading every page of this thread is time well spent.

Fisher160

I agree with your assessment of the value of reading everything and likely will do that. As with most forums for me, the more I read, the more I know, but the less clear the big picture is. Throughout the comments there are people highly discouraged by fixable issues, people who hate this camper but don’t even have one, people who love the camper unconditionally, and everything between. There are also some very pragmatic voices (cowboy and gendlert among others) on the highs and lows. I was hoping to get a feel from those that have the camper whether the issues they encountered outweigh what they like about it and if they would buy it again knowing what they know now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal