Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

bjowett said:
...... Consumer Reports rates them as high they go.

FYI- I have been unable to confirm this.............If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

EDIT: NEVERMIND...JUST FOUND IT!

Last edited:
Backwoods Rambler said:
FYI- I have been unable to confirm this.............If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

EDIT: NEVERMIND...JUST FOUND IT!

Not only did I find it but........

Backwoods Rambler said:
Why this Die-Hard Platinum/Odyssey and not an Optima?

I thought that the AGM material of the Optima would win hands down in the rough road conditions that we all often travel on.

Any thoughts on this?

......... CR's website states that the Die-Hard Platinum IS an AGM battery.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Just an update on my two Die Hard Platinums...well...it seems that I've been driving around for a week or so without an alternator....and the batteries held up just fine running the ignition and stereo....

Not too bad! Can't wait to see if they'll recharge well....I'll let everyone know.

-H-

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Backwoods Rambler said:
Why this Die-Hard Platinum/Odyssey and not an Optima?
Any thoughts on this?

Yeah , cause ever since Optima was bought out - they suck. Quality has gone downhill real fast.

I bought a Die Hard Platinum from the Cheyenne Sears about 2 months ago. It's just a beast of a battery. My F250 V10 has never had it so good. Oh, and I saved some serious money too. Thanks for the tip! ELN

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I was doing a little testing earlier today...and thought I would pass this along.

My diehard platinum marine ran my cheap chinese MV-50 air compressor for 4 hours (continuous) before the battery voltage dropped to 11.5 volts (the target for the testing I was doing). Not bad for a $189 battery...

AFSOC

Explorer
My diehard platinum marine ran my cheap chinese MV-50 air compressor for 4 hours (continuous) before the battery voltage dropped to 11.5 volts (the target for the testing I was doing). Not bad for a $189 battery...

Impressive battery performance for sure but I am far more impressed with the "cheap chinese" air compressor. That little torture test should dispell some of the myths about the MV-50's durability. I am not certain the MV-50 was intended to be a 100% duty cycle tool...nice to know it has the stones to do it though.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
AFSOC said:
Impressive battery performance for sure but I am far more impressed with the "cheap chinese" air compressor. That little torture test should dispell some of the myths about the MV-50's durability. I am not certain the MV-50 was intended to be a 100% duty cycle tool...nice to know it has the stones to do it though.

Just keep in mind that it was unloaded for the duration...that makes a big difference. It pulled right at 13 amps the whole time, and never really got very hot.

orangeTJ

Explorer
These followed me home the other night:

IMG_0282.jpg

One for Jeep, one for truck.

ExpoMike

I just picked up a Diehard Platinum last Thursday night. I knew my Kamparoo trailer was going to need a new battery and I had a yellow top Optima in my Cherokee. Since I have had mixed results over the years with Optima and everyone here seemed to like the Platinums, I put one in the Cherokee and moved my yellow top onto the trailer.

So far, so good. Seems to crank it over without any issues. I guess time will tell but add another to the Platinum group. :friday:

EXP-T100

Adventurer
So how are they handling the cold? i just got back to Co. from park city Ut. I was out there for a week for Christmas. it did not get above 32 mostly in the teens. So i now have a red top optima (my bad lol) its 10 months old and dose not like the cold at all. Not only did it barely start each day but yesterday i had to jump it twice!!! Now i am thinking about getting a die hard platinum 34 or 65.

Colorado recently had a cold snap (mid teens for a couple of day) my Diehard never skipped a beat. I had to jump a guy at work twice, although I don't know anything about his battery, except that it looked HUGE! It was a '99 F-150.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Ya what was that 2 weeks ago when we had that -15 day thats when the red top started to go down hill i have never had a battery go south this fast and this is the first "high performance" battery i have bought. :(

toy_tek

Adventurer
I was in Moab camping at Arches Nat Park for the last 5 days/4 nights. Got down to -0- at night, but the Diehard didn't notice. I'll mention I had the fridge running, but obviously due to the cold it didn't cycle much at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad