Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
EXP-T100 said:
So how are they handling the cold? i just got back to Co. from park city Ut. I was out there for a week for Christmas. it did not get above 32 mostly in the teens. So i now have a red top optima (my bad lol) its 10 months old and dose not like the cold at all. Not only did it barely start each day but yesterday i had to jump it twice!!! Now i am thinking about getting a die hard platinum 34 or 65.

I feel your pain. My truck came with two Optimas. One is dead and will not hold a charge, the other so far has been reliable but I keep my solar panel on the roof rack hooked up on a permanent basis to keep it charged. I'll be heading to Sears soon.

alia176

Explorer
Looks like my Exide Orbital took a crapper. Off to Sears i go!

Are there any discount coupons or such that can be used for the battery purchase?

Thanks.

fetus

Observer
My stock battery went out on my 05 Xterra, so I went with the Die Hard Platinum size 34. I had to do some modifications to the battery cables but it works awesome. I had a couple of cold morning starts at the carpool at around 27 degrees. Fired right up and with some gusto behind it.

I have just a regular Die Hard in the TJ, thinking of turning it in on a pro-rated Platinum.

They have a $5.00 off coupon exp 1/3/09(print and bring in) and if you can bring the core in, they give a little bit more off. I was out the door for around $201.00.

I had a Optima Yellow Top that barely lasted me two and a half years. I was disappointed because I had such high expectations.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
It really is too bad that Optimas had to go south. The ones made originally were quite nice. Kind of like the Odysseys are now.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Beowulf you are right on that, years ago a friend of mine had a red top in his heep and it was 5yr old and never had an issue with it but now they just suck.

What is every ones thoughts on the group 65? its a little wider and two pounds heaver but it puts out 930cca or should i just stick with the 34??

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
When it comes to batteries, I say use the largest battery you can. Is it needed.....probably not, but why not have the extra capacity just in case you need it one time.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Last straw

So its been really nice here in CO. so my red top p.o.s. has been ok untill today went out to start my truck at 11am today and it was 18* out :peepwall:. I did not have a good feeling about it at all, ya barely started. To sears I go, I got the group 65 with 930 cca and now i will just use the red top for my dual battery setup.

Last edited:

Bighead

Adventurer
EXP-T100 said:
So its been really nice here in CO. so my red top p.o.s. has been ok untill today went out to start my truck at 11am today and it was 18* out :peepwall:. I did not have a good feeling about it at all, ya barely started. To sears I go, I got the group 65 with 930 cca and now i will just use the red top for my dual battery setup.

Funny you should mention this. I went out this morning and tried to start the Land Cruiser with my Optima Red Top primary battery (4 months old) and got nothing. Fortunately I was able to jump it with the Red Top auxiliary battery (dual battery setup). Now I might be looking for a new primary battery once I rule out any other electrical gremlins.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Bighead its you red top they suck, mine still works great if its above 32*(10 months old). And an update from yesterday, this morning it was 10* at my house and my truck fired right up. The battery did not even know it was cold out, talk about peas of mind.

Last edited:

450 DUDE

Adventurer
Just installed the marine Platinum in the trailer :wings:
The costco marine $h8t the bed 2 weeks ago on the Yosemite trip , cant really complain 4.5 years of service for $ 70.00. I cant wait to flog the new Die Hard / Odyssey.
ken

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I installed the Diehard Group 34 on my 3rd Gen 4runner without lengthening the cables. You can see in the pic that the negative reaches, just need to move the grounding point on the fender forward by a few inches. For the postive, I made a 1/4" thick by 3/4" wide by 4.5" long bus bar that bolts between the positive cable and the positive battery lug. I have the rubber cap moved sideways in the pic for viewing access. I drilled and tapped an additional hole in the bus bar for the two wires that at are always "hot" (aux lights & aux fusebox). The red tape you see if aircraft F4 electrical insulating tape.

The holddown is 12.5" long by 1.5" bar stock. I used the factory J bolt on the back side. I (unsuccessfuly) used some foam tape on the underside of the holddown, you can see in the pic that the heat and vibration caused it to migrate.

I put 200 seriously jarring offroad miles on it last weekend. The bus bar worked as planned. I need some kind of heavy rubber backing on the holddown bar to further reduce any battery movement due to vibration.

MogollonRim008.jpg

The positive bus bar is exacty what I had thought of doing. Nice!

toy_tek

Adventurer
Ah, I should update this. After I bought my fridge I removed the bus bar and found that a Battery Brain fits that same spot perfectly and still provides the needed extension for the positive lead. Of course the Brain functions as an automatic battery disconnect should the battery voltage ever drop below starting voltage. But, my bus bar made its way onto another 97 4Runner and as far as I know still works fine.

I had to modify that hold down bar too.

<edit> a year and a half later... a crappy iphone pic to add

034c6f61.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hey 111DB, I was inspired by your bus bar... :victory:

I bought a Diehard P2 Group 65 at 930 CCA and 135 RC

To make the terminal layout work I cut a copper bar to 4.5" x 0.75" x 0.25" to act as a positive bus bar. I drilled two holes in it and covered part of it with shrink tube.
Some Fuzzy Fotos

I also had to buy some longer tie down rods and cut one to length. I found a heavy duty ground strap and added some shrink tubing to it also. The OEM terminal for the battery post is covered in some shrink wrap.

OEM Battery

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
When it comes to batteries, I say use the largest battery you can. Is it needed.....probably not, but why not have the extra capacity just in case you need it one time.

Don't you have to consider the alternator's capacity to recharge the battery?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Odyssey will have a PC1500 34R soon, which means that Sears may soon have a group 34 with the terminals reversed for the Toyota application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl