Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
One of my Diehards was doing the same thing. I tested it, charged it, tested my alternator... whole nine yards. Took it to Sears, they did their test on it and said it was fine. (by the way, if it tests fine, THEY WILL NOT REPLACE IT,, even if its a dead cell, you can test that) Anyhoo, it ended up being a bad ground after a week of tearing my dual battery system apart. Something to think about.

ExpoMike

One of my Diehards was doing the same thing. I tested it, charged it, tested my alternator... whole nine yards. Took it to Sears, they did their test on it and said it was fine. (by the way, if it tests fine, THEY WILL NOT REPLACE IT,, even if its a dead cell, you can test that) Anyhoo, it ended up being a bad ground after a week of tearing my dual battery system apart. Something to think about.

Will be checking wiring as well. Something could have come loose but I have upgraded all the cable to 4 gauge so hopefully that is all still good and tight but thanks for the heads up.

alia176

Explorer
My question would be why would I need any charger? If my altenator is working correctly (which I will verify) and I have driven long enough to charge a good battery, why should I need to have any external charger at all?

That's typically where I start my battery/alternator troubleshooting steps. start with a fully topped off battery and then go from there. If the batt doesn't hold a charge from a household charger, then you are pointed to the battery. However, is the batt bad from the beginning or did something in your vehicle cause it to go bad?

If the battery holds a charge, passes the load test then you're looking under the hood for the culprit.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Just put two Odyssey batteries in my 70 with a National Luna system...did great on ten days through Baja....

-H-

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I would like to give a public thank you to Sears for their customer service on my Diehard P-5. My friend borrowed my truck after I purchased the battery and it was in the back of the truck. He drove with the tail gate down and the battery fell out and the case broke. Sears replaced it that next day. Thankfully no one was hurt and it makes me think twice about whom I let drive my truck now.

XJMike~
I hope they (Sears) are as good to you as they were to me.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I thought that I had an issue with my 8 month old yellow top second battery. It turned out that the selector switch that controls the battery selector solenoid went bad. I only found it after eliminating all of the other components in the system. The green LED would light when set to dual battery but the solenoid coil was not getting reliably turned on.

switchsz0.jpg

ExpoMike

Just wanted to give an update to my starting problem.

About 2 weeks ago I did some checking and voltage looked good, alt. output volts were good. I did find one slightly loose body ground from the battery to the body but the one to the engine block was tight. Tightened the loose one hoping things would be okay.

Let it sit for a few days, when out to start it and still, having the same problem like the battery was low. Well, between Christmas and New Years, too many things going on for more testing so it sat.

Today I needed to get this solved before our trip in two weeks. I decided that I would replace the starter since the voltage at rest and running were in the correct ranges. Since this looks like the original starter, it has 102,000+ miles on it. Found that NAPA carries brand new starters (I have not had good luck with remanufactured ones) so I picked one up. Swapped it in and now it cranks over like it should. Starts right up repeatedly so I am thinking this was the problem.

I think between the high mileage and the oil filter adapter which has been leaking onto the starter, it just cause it to finally start to fail. Now on to changing the o-rings on the oil adapter... which is a PITA on Cherokees.

I will follow up with any battery related problems should I have any but for now, it is looking like the Platinum is solid.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

99% of the electrical problems I've ever encountered were caused by a bad ground... :coffee:

Expedition Key

Adventurer
Are you guys running Deep cycle Platinum group 34, or the regular? I'm buying two tomorrow (deep cycle) and I'm curious as to why some might be running the regular cranking battery. According to my Sears guy, they are the same CCA (880)

Thanks,

Kye

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I had my 3 month old Platinum PM-2 / 34M battery start giving me issues. I thought it was something i did, so I jumped it, but over time it kept giving me issues.

I finally gave up and took it into sears before the big storm so that the truck was sure to work.

Sure enough it was a bad unit.

Odd part is I was having performance issues with my truck where it was missfiring badly and running like ****. I couldn't figure it out and since its not a daily driver was not too concerened and figure I'd sort it out in the spring.

Since I've changed the battery the rough running thing has gone away, this was fairly significant too.

It may have just been incidental because the computer would reset with the battery being disconnected.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I just ordered up my new Die Hard Sears Platinum Group 31.

I'm feeling pretty lucky since I just spent the day exploring alone, with Danica. I never shut the truck off which was extra lucky.

I get back into town after a long day and stop at the store for a bottle of wine and I needed a jump start to get going again! YIKES!

This Lifeline batter did pretty well. It made it in Scott's old Tacoma to the artic circle and then powered my 4runner for three years of use with a fridge on 24 seven in Phoenix. Now that's not too shabby. May she rest in piece. :victory:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
99% of the electrical problems I've ever encountered were caused by a bad ground... :coffee:

Well, here's an update. They gave me a new battery. Yep. It must have had a bad cell. It load tested fine. It showed proper voltage. All tests showed fine on the truck side. I finally took the truck in and showed them. Otherwise they will refuse to replace it. They tossed a new one in and the truck fired right up in front of them.

The weird thing is, i bought both batts the same day and the other one is working fine still.

Always an exception the rule i guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad