Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
I made mine work for my 4th Gen 4Runner based on 111db's idea. (Don't raise the bridge, lower the water.....) :victory: Diehard P2 Group 65 at 930 CCA and 135 RC

To make the battery's reversed terminal layout work I cut a copper bar to 4.5" x 0.75" x 0.25" to act as a positive bus bar. I drilled two holes in it and covered part of it with shrink tube.
Some Fuzzy Fotos

I also had to buy some longer tie down rods and cut one to length. I found a heavy duty ground strap and added some shrink tubing to it also. The OEM terminal for the battery post is covered in some shrink wrap.

Good stuff! I just picked up the same battery for my 2005 Tacoma based on your post. However, I did something a little different for the factory wiring:

1) A 0.75" x 0.25" copper bar was $37.00 + S&H for the shortest piece I could find (12") to make the bus bar like you did.

2) I'm not much of a fabricator. I know, not hard to cut and drill a piece but...

3) I have concerns with your Ground configuration. You are now running all of your high current starting amperage through the little skinny wire between the factory ground point on the fender and negative battery cable. It will probably be OK but...

I searched high and low online for an option that was easy and cost effective. I looked at having new custom battery cables made that were a few inches longer (PITA!). I thought about just mounting the battery on its side (did that for a day just to get me up and running). Finally I found it.

http://www.remybattery.com/Departments/Cable--Accessories/Adapters-and-Hardware/Conversion-Adapters.aspx

I purchased their "Top To Side Terminal Conversion Cables" (part# 5505) and their "Side Terminal To Top Post Adapters" (part# 5515) and essentially made myself some 7" extension cables for both the positive and negative terminals.

5df8e125.jpg

Total cost delivered was $33.45 and there is no cutting, drilling, fabricating at all.

I used a couple cable clamps to secure the cables to the top of the battery just to keep them from flopping around. Added bonus, the terminal clamps on the conversion cables have bolts long enough to mount my winch power cables directly to them. The guys that installed my winch originally put my negative cable to the chassis ground location on the fender - same issue of high current through the little skinny wire between there and the battery.

Hope this helps others by giving them a quick and easy option for using a non-standard battery in the Taco/4Runner.

- DH

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I searched high and low online for an option that was easy and cost effective. I looked at having new custom battery cables made that were a few inches longer (PITA!). I thought about just mounting the battery on its side (did that for a day just to get me up and running). Finally I found it.

http://www.remybattery.com/Departments/Cable--Accessories/Adapters-and-Hardware/Conversion-Adapters.aspx

I purchased their "Top To Side Terminal Conversion Cables" (part# 5505) and their "Side Terminal To Top Post Adapters" (part# 5515) and essentially made myself some 7" extension cables for both the positive and negative terminals.

5df8e125.jpg

Total cost delivered was $33.45 and there is no cutting, drilling, fabricating at all.

I used a couple cable clamps to secure the cables to the top of the battery just to keep them from flopping around. Added bonus, the terminal clamps on the conversion cables have bolts long enough to mount my winch power cables directly to them. The guys that installed my winch originally put my negative cable to the chassis ground location on the fender - same issue of high current through the little skinny wire between there and the battery.

Hope this helps others by giving them a quick and easy option for using a non-standard battery in the Taco/4Runner.

- DH

Great solution. Thanks for posting this information.
Will be using these parts when I get a new battery.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
O.K., my eyes are bleeding after reading all 10 pages of this thread! My 80 needs a new battery so I'm trying to figure out what Platnium to put into it. Thinking I'm going to go with the Group 65 for the added CCA's! I just installed the National Luna Portable Power Pack last week and went with the Group 31 Marine Platnium so trying to keep all of the batteries close to the same. This thread is just another reason why the portal is so good!!!

Hedge

Adventurer
The Group 31 Marine Platinum will fit in the FZJ80 tray with a few tweaks. There are few threads on 'mud about how to do this.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
The Group 31 Marine Platinum will fit in the FZJ80 tray with a few tweaks. There are few threads on 'mud about how to do this.

Yup, some minor trimming on the battery itself, replace the hold down bracket and longer j-bolts. I plan to replace my lifelines with these when they wear out...

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
So , it seems that I am in need af a new batery for the Dodge. The 6 year old Optima has developed a couple of "splits" in the - post and is liking to corrode the posts. The battery still tests good, but I don't want to have it give up the ghost at a critical moment.
I am looking at the Diehards Platinums, but they don't seem to make a top and side post battey any more...or am I missing it somewhere ? I need the side post mounts for the winch , other wise I would go with the standard group 34 ....

Anyone know if they make the 34/78 battery still ?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I am looking at the Diehards Platinums, but they don't seem to make a top and side post battey any more...or am I missing it somewhere ? I need the side post mounts for the winch , other wise I would go with the standard group 34 ....

Looks like the P-4 that I have isn't available right now.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P
There are reports of side terminals not being up to supporting a winch draw. I don't know if it's true, or internet rumors.
Unless you have a lot of stuff connected to your battery, if you use mil-spec terminals you should be able to connect everything to the top posts.
mil-spec_battery_term.jpg

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link , Tom. But unfortunately it says that they are temporarily unavailable.:mad:
I have some of the military side connects for when I can get the new luged cables...unfortunately the battery went before I could afford the cables, too...

Albin

Adventurer
Don't connect a winch to the side terminals, it's not a internet rumor - I've seen pictures of at least two fried batteries due to this. Also, look at the FAQ section for Optima, they'll tell you the same thing.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Don't connect a winch to the side terminals, it's not a internet rumor - I've seen pictures of at least two fried batteries due to this. Also, look at the FAQ section for Optima, they'll tell you the same thing.

Interesting..I had not heard that before, so I did a search and sure enough..it seems that it is not recommended. But I am finding where some are saying it is ok with the DH Platinums...wonder if their side mounts are stronger...

shogun

Adventurer
Thanks for the link , Tom. But unfortunately it says that they are temporarily unavailable.:mad:
I have some of the military side connects for when I can get the new luged cables...unfortunately the battery went before I could afford the cables, too...

There are two of them on the shelf at the Tucson Sears. No tellin how long they've been there though.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Interesting..I had not heard that before, so I did a search and sure enough..it seems that it is not recommended. But I am finding where some are saying it is ok with the DH Platinums...wonder if their side mounts are stronger...
I know Optima says don't do it, I meant a rumor about other brands.
My guess is that it's ok with Platinums since they are just re-badged Enersys (Odyssey). A call to Enersys would answer the question for sure. I'll see if I can find the email I had from an Enersys engineer when I was trying to confirm for myself they were the same. If I have it I'll ask.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
So , it seems that I am in need af a new batery for the Dodge. The 6 year old Optima has developed a couple of "splits" in the - post and is liking to corrode the posts. The battery still tests good, but I don't want to have it give up the ghost at a critical moment.

The group 31 has two sets of posts up top that work for me for standard terminal connection and winch/accessory connection... Although I'd never heard about the issue with winch power from the side posts... Don't think it would apply to this battery though since the posts are literally about 1.5" from each other, and would assume part of the same lead structure.

thumbnail.aspx

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Couldn't find the email so I went ahead and gave the person a call I talked to before. Didn't get her, so left a message asking about side terminal connections and high drain applications. Will post soon as I hear back.

ok, this is the reply I got
In reply to your voice message... There is no reason why you cannot connect to and use the side posts for high amp draws. They are made of brass, not lead and are rated for the same output as the top posts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad