Off-GRID ENGINEERING Dual Battery Systems (An Introduction)

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Hi all!

My name is Matt and I've been designing battery systems for off-road and expedition vehicles for quite a few years. I was even lucky enough to have a small feature in Overland Journal (Winter 2008) for a system I designed in a 2003 Tacoma. Since then, I have designed and installed multiple custom power systems in a variety of vehicles.

I am now producing battery trays and full wiring kits for Toyota Trucks under the name of OFF-GRID ENGINEERING, LLC.

This post used to be much longer with pictures of products and prices. To make sure you are viewing the most current information.... visit www.offgrid4x4.com

Last edited:

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Wiring kits are ready!

FullSizeRender_zps9jihg0tw.jpg

That's really nice.

A couple comments - for using jumper cables, I have been coating my battery straps in rubber (that dip stuff that comes in a can) to prevent any shorting while jump starting. Also, the Optima batteries have the terminals so close together on top, it scares me that the strap could come in contact with the positive terminal. It's never happened, but it's one of the things I have nightmares about. I assume you took this into account when you designed your top strap.

Looks good. Any plans for a generic mount?

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
That's really nice.

A couple comments - for using jumper cables, I have been coating my battery straps in rubber (that dip stuff that comes in a can) to prevent any shorting while jump starting. Also, the Optima batteries have the terminals so close together on top, it scares me that the strap could come in contact with the positive terminal. It's never happened, but it's one of the things I have nightmares about. I assume you took this into account when you designed your top strap.

Looks good. Any plans for a generic mount?

I appreciate the compliments. I have a ton of R&D in the design.

As far as the top strap... I designed it mostly around the Odyssey battery as that is what most folks are using now. I honestly can't say if all the Optimas would fit. My test battery is a few years old and its a Group 35. You are right though, the newer Optimas have terminals that are very close together. Might be something to watch out for. The Plasti-dip is not a bad idea either! I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL