Off-GRID ENGINEERING Dual Battery Systems (An Introduction)

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
I haven't had a chance to check! If you're ever in the Northern Colorado area, feel free to stop in and we'll check. I give decent discounts to test trucks!

BentBomber

www.bomberproducts.com
Outstanding design! I'll definitely have to pick one of those up for my 2nd gen, and maybe some help with wiring. There are many things I'm good at, and electricity is not one of them.

ripperj

Explorer
Looks great! I too immediately envisioned a short with the strap, you can't protect against stupid and lots of OEM are metal, but the OEM are lots narrower, and presumably their lawyers have deeper pockets :)
What about blowing the same strap out of a non conductive fiber board?, rivet a aluminum channel on the back if it's not stiff enuff. I get you have to keep it simple to clear a profit, but industrial DC is my background and I get paranoid
Not trying to rain on your parade, just wasn't looking to see something go bad.
Keith

Sent from my Passport

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Looks great! I too immediately envisioned a short with the strap, you can't protect against stupid and lots of OEM are metal, but the OEM are lots narrower, and presumably their lawyers have deeper pockets :)
What about blowing the same strap out of a non conductive fiber board?, rivet a aluminum channel on the back if it's not stiff enuff. I get you have to keep it simple to clear a profit, but industrial DC is my background and I get paranoid
Not trying to rain on your parade, just wasn't looking to see something go bad.
Keith

Sent from my Passport

Hmmm... I appreciate all the concern. Contact between those two pieces would be very bad. Ive had my system installed for quite some time and have never had the battery or tiedown move... but then again, Im always under the hood designing new stuff. So, Im always checking.

All the other trays on the market have a similar design. Usually they're made out of steel though.

I guess I have to leave it up to the customer to make sure their connections are tight and covered. There are lots of mods we make to our trucks that take individual engineering and forethought to make sure they're safe.

Edit: I just thought of something. I may include some rubber strips to affix to either side of the tie down... for extra insurance. What does everyone think?

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
I live in Vail and have a 1st gen Tundy DC that needs a dual set up but also want to put an ARB compressor in the engine bay maybe we can come up with a solution for both?!

I haven't had a chance to check! If you're ever in the Northern Colorado area, feel free to stop in and we'll check. I give decent discounts to test trucks!

BentBomber

www.bomberproducts.com
It's definitely something I'm thinking about doing, but I have a few things I need to take care of first. Nice truck btw. Other than color, we will soon be twinsies.

ripperj

Explorer
Hmmm... I appreciate all the concern. Contact between those two pieces would be very bad. Ive had my system installed for quite some time and have never had the battery or tiedown move... but then again, Im always under the hood designing new stuff. So, Im always checking.

All the other trays on the market have a similar design. Usually they're made out of steel though.

I guess I have to leave it up to the customer to make sure their connections are tight and covered. There are lots of mods we make to our trucks that take individual engineering and forethought to make sure they're safe.

Edit: I just thought of something. I may include some rubber strips to affix to either side of the tie down... for extra insurance. What does everyone think?

Anything will help, maybe slit a piece of rubber tube and put it on the edge??. The whole battery box and retaining rods and strap are one big negative, so it's really contact with the red positive post that is a concern. That's what Stoffregen was referring to.

Sent from my Passport

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Anything will help, maybe slit a piece of rubber tube and put it on the edge??. The whole battery box and retaining rods and strap are one big negative, so it's really contact with the red positive post that is a concern. That's what Stoffregen was referring to.

Sent from my Passport

Oh. I totally understand what he was saying. And I agree. If the battery came loose and touched the tie-down, it would short. But the same holds true for every other battery tray on the market, including the factory one. The point is, keep your tie-down tight. In light of this concern however, I will be brainstorming an option for greater insurance. It may be as simple as some tubing around the tie-down or maybe just some locking nuts on the tie-down.

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Another option for battery trays. We can mount your relay wherever you want. Just ask!

IMG_1881_zpsov6ypsxa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL