Official: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Jorsn

Adventurer
Diesel will be a $5K-$7K option. Just a guess.

There will not be a diesel in the wrangler any time soon. They would be losing money on every wrangler they sell.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Our emissions standards on diesels requires a lot of additional equipment, diesel particulate filters, urea injection etc etc and normally have lower output/higher consumption. More complexity with this stuff, variable geometry turbos, high pressure fuel pumps and poor diesel lubricity all mean less reliability and higher maintenance costs. Our diesel is also generally more expensive than regular gasoline. Spending an extra $5-7k on a Diesel engine is hard to justify unless there is a very large increase in economy AND performance, and one intends to keep the car for a long time.

In short, it sort of becomes a novelty to have a diesel here unless you're towing a lot with a big truck, unfortunately. I love diesels but the EPA is killing them. That and the automakers are making more fuel efficient gasoline engines with turbos and direct injection with lower cost. We have a 2010 VW golf turbo diesel and its been a great car, now with 45k miles. Just oil and filter changes, fuel filter changes and tires, great power, easily makes 42mpg at 70-80 mph. But it also wasn't terribly expensive at around $23 well equipped. I'd love to have a turbo diesel in my Wrangler (I say MY wrangler because I probably won't buy another one based on overall quality and cost), but I would have to make sense with a substantial MPG and drivability improvement without a $5-7k price tag.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Very different emissions standards

brianjwilson said:
Our emissions standards on diesels...

It's amazing to note comments like this on a post that confirms as 100% fact that Jeep now have a 3.0 Turbo Diesel that meets the new EPA emissions standards.

It's now blatantly clear the only thing stopping a diesel Wrangler in North America is Jeep making the decision to offer that.

The EPA and emissions have nothing to do with it anymore.

-Dan

Jorsn

Adventurer
It's amazing to note comments like this on a post that confirms as 100% fact that Jeep now have a 3.0 Turbo Diesel that meets the new EPA emissions standards.

It's now blatantly clear the only thing stopping a diesel Wrangler in North America is Jeep making the decision to offer that.

-Dan

Like I said... Jeep would be losing money if they offered a diesel in the Wrangler.

It's one thing to offer a diesel in a luxury suv, It's another to offer it in a $21-$30K jeep wrangler. The engine would add an additional $5-7K and a small fraction of wrangler owners would actually pay that. I'm sure they have gone over this plenty of times and realized that there isn't enough profit there to justify putting a diesel in a wrangler. They aren't not doing it just to piss owners off.

I will be shocked if this new diesel makes up more than 10% of their Grand Cherokee sales here in the US.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Like I said... Jeep would be losing money if they offered a diesel in the Wrangler. .

That's up for debate, though the most important point still remains:

This is now entirely Jeep's decision to be made. The EPA and emissions standards have nothing to do with it.

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society

This is now entirely Jeep's decision to be made. The EPA and emissions standards have nothing to do with it.

-Dan

And if people are willing to finance a $45,000 fully loaded Rubicon...why not a $50,000 Rubicon diesel....People are spending $60,000+ on AEV JKUs.....

SouthPawXJ

Observer

-Dan

The engine that fits in the Wrangler (2.8L) in its current form DOES NOT meet emission requirements in the United States, because it was developed for the previous requirements in Europe. The Wrangler is not designed to accommodate the 3.0L going into the Grand Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee (in Europe) already had the VM Motori 3.0L diesel under the hood. This means the design work has already been done for this particular engine in that particular car. Its probably more of a case like the 5.7L Hemi - it CAN fit, but Jeep cannot fit it and meet safety standards, packaging requirements, and avoid an expensive redesign. I don't blame Jeep for not doing this on the current Wrangler. If Jeep does not put a diesel in the next Wrangler, it will be on them then. Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of Chrysler Group LLC and Fiat (who owns 50% of VM Motori), said that more diesel engines would be coming. News here: http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/01/us-to-get-smaller-diesels

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The Wrangler is not designed to accommodate the 3.0L going into the Grand Cherokee.

Thanks for the info.

What makes you think the 3.0 won't fit in the Wrangler? My understanding is the firewall and structural changes made in 2012 were to allow for exactly that - shorter engines like inline 4's or V6's or V8's.
What doesn't fit anymore are inline 6's or 8's. Lots of compaines are shoving Hemis in there, so I think the 3.0 would fit.

For anyone as seriously excited by this engine as I am, have a look what the Banks guys are doing with it, making a seriously built version for the military.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1208dp_banks_vm_motori_630t_v6_diesel_engine/

Looks like it will be available to the public.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I will be shocked if this new diesel makes up more than 10% of their Grand Cherokee sales here in the US.

At the motor show, they said:

"Jeep estimates the diesel to account for about 15 percent of Grand Cherokee sales."

So they decided to go ahead with the R&D and all that for only 15%...

-Dan

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...

-Dan

That's one way to read it. I think any of the manufacturers CAN make a diesel meeting standards, the point is it becomes very expensive, less reliable, less efficient and diesel is still more expensive. So in a way, the EPA and emission standards have everything to do with it. Not impossible, but more expensive and less practical. Generally in this country diesels only get marketed to higher end ($$$) vehicles.
They mark up the wrangler so much, it really is a terrible value for what you get IMO. And I own a brand new well equipped rubicon. Either they have to REALLY mark up a diesel option to make it worth their time (ie more profitable than the GC) or it just doesn't make financial sense. If they make more profit off of the 3.6 then they would with a diesel, why would they offer it? I don't think there is any compitetion to the wrangler, certainly none with a diesel. Are wrangler buyers going to buy something else because they don't offer a diesel? Doubtful. I hope they do but I'm not getting my hopes up. They certainly can, but will they? The GC diesel is probably competing against high end foreign turbo diesel SUVs. Different game.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I think any of the manufacturers CAN make a diesel meeting standards, the point is it becomes very expensive, less reliable, less efficient and diesel is still more expensive.

But the existence of the GC diesel shows Jeep have already spent all that time and money getting it certified and built, so all those barriers are removed.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater