Official: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

SouthPawXJ

Observer
:smilies27 How many times do I have to say this? The 2.8L Diesel motor used in the Wrangler DOES NOT MEET CURRENT EMISSION REGULATIONS IN THE UNITED STATES. As the Euro standard and the US standard converge, this engine will be updated to meet those emissions standards. That will drop one barrier of entry for the diesel Wrangler.

Take a look at what grecy posted above. Getting a diesel in the Wrangler is most likely dependent on Grand Cherokee Diesel sales. If they see greater demand than expected, you can bet they'll want to bring more diesels here to make money. The Wrangler plant in Toledo is already at MAXIMUM OUTPUT. They are expanding that plant soon. If the furture 2.8L Diesel meets emissions standards, the Grand Cherokee Diesel sells well, the Wrangler Plant has extra capacity, and VM Motori has the extra capacity, then you could see a diesel option available from the factory here. When the next Wrangler comes out (CY 2016), there MIGHT be a diesel option in the US. I wouldn't expect one before then.

People, please use your grey matter between the ears. It is there for a reason. Think through WHY something is not being done at the factory.

uzj100

Adventurer
Looks like 2% under invoice is the price to aim for. Maybe get a limited diesel closer to 40 with just offroad package 2.

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
I thinking about holding off on purchasing an AEV 350 rig and picking up a diesel GC... Really like the diesel option on the new GC

uzj100

Adventurer
Where are you in nc? There is an aev jeep on my street in Raleigh. I am ready for some real world mileage figures on the new diesel gc.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Where are you in nc? There is an aev jeep on my street in Raleigh. I am ready for some real world mileage figures on the new diesel gc.

Purely highway the new GC diesel will be around 28 to 30mpg.....city will be around 25-28mpg.

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
anyone looking at the new diesel GC as an overland platform over a JK unlimited Wrangler? I'm considering it simply for the diesel powertrain but am concerned there will be no aftermarket support for outfitting...

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I am very excited about the new Diesel platform, and hope it makes its way to the Wrangler in 2016. However this could throw a kink in those plans as well. If the Diesel fails to sell well in the GC, they will be unlikely to offer it in the Wrangler. We here are often Myopic. We love the diesel engine for an overland vehicle, but outside of the large truck market, the US consumer has not shown a large interest in diesel. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Jorsn

Adventurer
CRD Wrangler Spotted Testing

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/02/another-crd-wrangler-spotted

"The number of CRD-equipped Jeep Wranglers spotted on the roads of Michigan seems to be increasing, with Robert Evans catching the latest on I-696 in Southfield, Michigan. The driver took off when he noticed the photography. The Jeep had manufacturer’s plates, but no labels listed “diesel only” around the fuel filler; it did have the CRD badging. Jeep currently makes diesel powered Wranglers for export markets, using VM diesels. While domestic buyers have expressed interest in diesel Wranglers, at this time there is more demand for the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited than Jeep’s Toledo plant can satisfy, making the expense of engineering and certifying a US-legal diesel seem questionable. It’s possible the company is testing vehicles for export, or simply wants to make the Wrangler more attractive in case demand wanes in the long period before it’s overhauled again."

blackdmax15

Observer
I am very excited about the new Diesel platform, and hope it makes its way to the Wrangler in 2016. However this could throw a kink in those plans as well. If the Diesel fails to sell well in the GC, they will be unlikely to offer it in the Wrangler. We here are often Myopic. We love the diesel engine for an overland vehicle, but outside of the large truck market, the US consumer has not shown a large interest in diesel. Keeping my fingers crossed....

That's why when I get back from this deployment I'm going to buy a diesel GC for the wife (swapping out her Mercedes for it) and boost GC sales so I can get a factory diesel wrangler in 3 more years! Tell me that isn't dedication. I recommend everyone else do the same.

Skinny

Sounds like a money hemorrhage.

Better off building a diesel Wrangler and pocketing the leftover $30k, not have a crummy car company warranty to battle, and suck the new car depreciation to go with it. Plus there is no cat, DEF fluid, and other BS to deal with.

Or just sneaks few 2.8 JK's on a C130...no one will ever know ;)

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The Dodge RAM 1500 will be getting the same 8 speed auto and 3.0 V-6 Diesel for the 2014 model year:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02/its-official-ram-1500-to-get-v6-ecodiesel.html

Official:
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2014/ram_1500/ecodiesel/
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsr...36D658F8B0D24477130E485486B3?&id=13869&mid=70

No official word on mileage, I wonder if they're still tuning it to what they want.

This is great news for us - as it means there will be more 3.0's getting around, and hopefully more interest for the aftermarket tuning / DPF delete.

Fingers crossed Chrysler / Dodge keep bringing this to more and more vehicles, and the 1500 comes with a manual option, so at least we know something bolts up to it with no hassle.

-Dan

Jorsn

Adventurer
The Dodge RAM 1500 will be getting the same 8 speed auto and 3.0 V-6 Diesel for the 2014 model year:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02/its-official-ram-1500-to-get-v6-ecodiesel.html

Official:
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2014/ram_1500/ecodiesel/
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsr...36D658F8B0D24477130E485486B3?&id=13869&mid=70

No official word on mileage, I wonder if they're still tuning it to what they want.

This is great news for us - as it means there will be more 3.0's getting around, and hopefully more interest for the aftermarket tuning / DPF delete.

Fingers crossed Chrysler / Dodge keep bringing this to more and more vehicles, and the 1500 comes with a manual option, so at least we know something bolts up to it with no hassle.

-Dan

This is great news!! Thanks for the links!

Looks like we are one step closer to the Wrangler getting a diesel.

SouthPawXJ

Observer

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying the 1500 comes with a manual transmission currently? If that is what you are saying, then you are incorrect. Where's the manual? Car and Driver doesn't show it in their specs. The ONLY manual transmission in a Ram Pickup is behind the 6.7L Cummins. I am fairly certain RAM has not offered a manual behind a gas motor since well before they changed their name to RAM.

If you get the 3.0L Diesel, you are probably getting the 8-speed that has been developed for use with the Hemi. Also, don't expect this to be available at the lower trim levels. VM has stated that they will provide up to 40,000 3.0L for the American market this year, and the Grand Cherokee will probably get about half of them, even with it restricted to the higher trim levels there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach