Official: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying the 1500 comes with a manual transmission currently?

No, I was saying I hope it comes with a manual transmission with the 3.0. I know it's unlikely, but I can hope.

As for trim level, I also hope Dodge/Chrysler realize people will want this as a work-horse engine, and so offer it in the absolute lowest trim so people using their truck for actual work can get it.

-Dan

SouthPawXJ

Observer
No, I was saying I hope it comes with a manual transmission with the 3.0. I know it's unlikely, but I can hope.

As for trim level, I also hope Dodge/Chrysler realize people will want this as a work-horse engine, and so offer it in the absolute lowest trim so people using their truck for actual work can get it.

-Dan

I totally agree with you on the trim level. However, they have a very limited supply of engines, and they want to make the most money they can. I could see the diesel moving into the "Tradesman" model in a few years once some other competitors release their diesel options. For now though I wouldn't expect them to offer it on anything but the upper trim levels.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I totally agree with you on the trim level. However, they have a very limited supply of engines, and they want to make the most money they can. I could see the diesel moving into the "Tradesman" model in a few years once some other competitors release their diesel options. For now though I wouldn't expect them to offer it on anything but the upper trim levels.

Good thinking. Makes perfect sense.

It really does look like the whole "Diesels in North America" is finally on the tipping point...

:D

-Dan

SouthPawXJ

Observer
Good thinking. Makes perfect sense.

It really does look like the whole "Diesels in North America" is finally on the tipping point...

:D

-Dan
I really hope that we have reached the tipping point. Diesel Jeeps are a lot of fun to drive, and give you better range to boot!

SouthPawXJ

Observer
scootr, your Diesel WK is sweet! I really enjoyed your build thread! Hopefully soon I will be able to build up my Liberty CRD soon.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-grand-cherokee-ordering-information-and-pricing-52937.html

A web forum called Jeep Garage has posted "official" prices for the Grand Cherokee. The 3.0L VM Motori diesel engine is listed as a $4500 option. The diesel is not available on the entry-level Laredo, but is on the Limited trim. The Limited 4x4 starts at $38,000. So a diesel Limited with the Off Road Adventure option and UConnect nav system will probably cost $45,000. Not a bargain, but thousands cheaper than the VW Touareg, Audi and Mercedes diesel SUVs.

Haven - you seem to be right on here.

Out of curiosity, I called a dealer and asked for pricing (through Costco Proffered auto buying program) to get more information about the GC diesel. The salesman was actually very knowledgeable and he told me that they have "their order books" which include pricing. Pr-ordering is not officially open, but he gave me some ball-parks.

I didn't see any documents as this was only a phone call.

Here is the info I got:
- only available in Limited and Overland
- Diesel is ~$2K more than v8 option
- ~$41K for Limited 4x4 with a few options
- ~$49K for an Overland with offroad adventure package and pretty loaded.

voodoojk

Adventurer
Sorry if mentioned already. I didnt read the entire thread.

Does anyone know if they will be using Urea/Ad-blue in this vehicle to meet emissions? Im guessing they will have too for a vehicle of this weight? I know i would be paranoid and be carrying a few extra gallons in the back country lol

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Sorry if mentioned already. I didnt read the entire thread.

Does anyone know if they will be using Urea/Ad-blue in this vehicle to meet emissions? Im guessing they will have too for a vehicle of this weight? I know i would be paranoid and be carrying a few extra gallons in the back country lol

Yes DEF is part of the package....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scott Brady

Founder
We were lucky to drive an early production unit with the 3.0L Turbo Diesel. Less then 24 hour turnaround on the video and article with the embargo deadline, but I hope it is helpful/enjoyable.
[video=youtube;7L-Xp_V1Ns8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7L-Xp_V1Ns8[/video]

The accompanying article: 2014 Diesel Grand Cherokee

2014_DIESEL_Grand_Cherokee_6.jpg

Some might also enjoy our little rip around COTA in the SRT

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I found some info. Diesel only available on upper range models. Specs I saw showed leather models only. I really dislike leather seats and simply prefer cloth. I also am stubborn enough to not pay to buy and then remove leather and install cloth. Dislike seat covers too, as any I've seen shift around. So it looks like no diesel for me in a GC.
I had cloth in my diesel truck.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Nice quick report Scott.....

That SRT is a monster.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scott Brady

Founder
I got to say i'm not a big fan for the front end, like the current body/grill much more than this...

I agree with you. It appears the new grill is to accomodate the new LED lighting. I do like the new fender flares. The current generation is a very handsome car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk