Offroad (camp) espresso

kai38

Explorer
I want to get one of these babies for a field test:

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

Has anyone else tried one?

aero_press_04.jpg
I saw one of these at the A/T trailer display at the EXPO.
I got one when I got home it makes a great coffee.....but not enough. I went back to the french press, Both use 1/3 cup of coffee, but the Aerobie only made 1/2 the amount the press did. The Aerobie was closer to an espresso though.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Using the 6 cup espresso unit, the liquid plus creamer (1/2.1/2) fills a 16oz travel mug. With that much caffeine there is need for refills.

A

paulj

Expedition Leader
In the Mexican section of your grocery (even a non-grocery Walmart) you may find small cans of Nestle Media Creama (table cream).

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
thinking of picking up a mypressi twist ? anyone use one yet ?
they seem to be getting good reviews over on HB site so this is going to be my 3rd attempt
I dont like press that much or moka pots they just are not espresso

otherwise I am really really thinking of putting my old pasquini livia in my trailer and running my generator for a short bit to get it going ? (it can do a 25 minute warm up while I recharge my batteries
only when I can of course I know that will piss off some running a geni but having a nice shot in the morning is a luxury and wold not do it with others around :) but my little geni is so quiet the machine itself would be louder ?
and then when those would be invited for a nice morning cup I am sure they would be smiling :)

jeff/agavelvr has sampled my shots and can say I am quite a fanatic about my morning cup

A friend of mine has one. He is a master coffee roaster and really knows his stuff... He loves the MyPressi!

The only downside is that you should pre heat it otherwise you will only get a lower quality shot.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I saw one of these at the A/T trailer display at the EXPO.
I got one when I got home it makes a great coffee.....but not enough. I went back to the french press, Both use 1/3 cup of coffee, but the Aerobie only made 1/2 the amount the press did. The Aerobie was closer to an espresso though.

I got one last weekend. Love it! Way smoother taste than my french press...

desertrover

Adventurer
Aeropress

re the Aeropress, it's a great little device, but it's not true espresso. I've used one regularly for a couple years, and it holds up great. Easy to keep clean in the field. Packs small and light enough for backpacking. For that purpose, I paired it with a hand crank grinder from morecoffee.
Once I get a box on my mog, I'll probably just bring along the trusty 'ol (HEAVY) Silvia/Rocky duo. Power comes from a 2500w inverter and two group 27 deep cycle batteries, which can be switched to charge off of the truck power when the engine is running. Good coffee on the trail is priceless!

Honu

lost on the mainland
A friend of mine has one. He is a master coffee roaster and really knows his stuff... He loves the MyPressi!

The only downside is that you should pre heat it otherwise you will only get a lower quality shot.

yeah a lot of coffee nuts like them
I have read quite a bit on preheating and the tricks also using the other cartridges to use a small piece of foam ? but the owners of the company really seem to be listening

my feeling is nothing will create what my Elektra kicks out in the morning but the pasquini is not a bad machine and since its just sitting in the garage ? might be the pasquini and the mypressi for the other days dont want to start the geni up

nargun

Adventurer
In our camper trailer we have both 1 cup and 4 cup coffee plungers. They are used as an alternative to making instant coffee; as quick and easy. They can also be used to make tea

Some coffee aficionados consider that the best coffee with a plunger is to use expresso ground coffee as the smaller grind allows more oils and flavour to enter the water

We also have a variation on the Italian style expresso maker which also lives in the camper. It is about the size of a 4 cup. It does not have the bowl on top to collect rather a valve and stem that can be use to fill straight to a demi tasse. Turn the valve the other way and wait for the water to heat and steam can be vented via a frother to a cup of milk to heat/froth it. A bit fiddly and not enough steam to do a cappuccino, but enough to do a latte.

My wife can have a latte and I can have an expresso. It can be used on top of a butane camping stove.

Coffee is to important to adulterate with chemicals, milk or sugar

Rum, however, is a different issue.

Cold, clear night in the bush, a hot, black expresso coffee laced with brown rum…. bliss

Honu

lost on the mainland
well the mypressi is finally in hand and after some testing it gets a two thumbs up

it can truly kick out espresso !!!!! this is the first thing short of a true machine I can say kicks out real espresso the rest of the stuff is coffee ? which is fine if thats what you want :) but I like my espresso more than coffee

it was actually so good I am thinking I wont need to build my pasquini into the trailer !!!!!

now have to find the perfect milk steam solution and I have some ideas on some units I have seen

but the mypressi setup put out a shot about like the $500 machines put out not going to touch the elektra for sure ! but it again blows away anything else I have tried that is portable and I have tried everything I can think of and everything listed except the presso ? which I have heard mixed reviews on ? one to do with breaking and also the preheating or getting things hot enough ? (any portable could fall into this though ?
so without knowing first hand that might be the only other portable option ? but I think the mypressi might beat it from reading others who have tried both not knocking it :) just saying their is newer technology out there now :) hehehhehe

the grinding solution I have tried most all hand grinders except one of the newer ones with ceramic burrs I read about on HB so going to see about that or just grind and vacum pack my morning amount and loose a bit ?

also the clean up was super super easy and quick and will use very very little water ! which is nice

Jeff we have to hook up again for sure man !!!!!
but I think I might be selling the pasquini now ? the mypressi is that good :)
but plumbing in a machine would be fun just to be extreme about that
and the wife gave me the stinkeye when I wanted to do this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk