Offroad capability of full size truck

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I'm so happy to see this thread, as I'm researching almost the same exact issue!

I'm looking at regular cab trucks with 6.5 or 8 foot beds. My projected payload is looking like somewhere between 1,700 and 2,000 lbs. Thanks to those commenters who mentioned the F-150 HDPP, which I didn't even know was a thing. But if it's not widely available, I guess that means I'm kind of forced into the heavy duty F-250 or Ram 2500. Then I'll be outfitting it with a winch, doing whatever I can to improve the rear departure angle, and adding bigger wheels and tires on to improve ground clearance and breakover angles.

Would the FX4 suspension package be adequate, or should I also budget for some aftermarket solution such as Carli?

I'm not even going to try and pretend that this could be a daily driver. Honestly, right now I kind of prefer to daily my wife's old Prius rather than my 4Runner, because the little Prius is just so easy and cheap to scoot around the city with. OP, have you considered giving up on the daily driver idea and just getting a cheap little car for daily use?

I'm wondering why more overland-type folks don't go the regular cab route? I think there are lots of us out there planning to go on adventures with only one other person in the cab, so why are so many of us buying trucks with rear doors and seats that are superfluous? Admittedly, you can make use of the crew cab/extended cab space by deleting seats and turning it into storage. But that second row of seating adds significantly to vehicle length (and weight, and cost) just to store stuff that could be stored just as well (or better) in the truck bed.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for chiming in on this thread. I'm excited about planning my ultimate truck camper!
Its worth mentioning that you can't get the bigger fuel tank option in reg cab 6' bed trucks.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I’d go 3/4-ton to get the added payload and stronger frame/transmission/brakes/etc. Most almost always use at or near their max payload capacity with a dedicated bed/camper. While I’ve owned both Ford and RAM late model HD trucks, Ford gets the nod for my money but both have their strong suits. That said, it’s hard to beat a Power Wagon and I believe you can still add the package to a Big Horn work grade truck as well which can help keep costs down.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I build my rig on an F250 Super Duty Tremor. I wanted the carrying capacity and power. I knew going into this that MPG would be horrible and in the end that is just part of the deal. I am not planning to do Jeep rock crawling or crazy stuff, but I want to be able to go to a lot more places than a van with off-road tires and modified suspension can go. Some can, but the beating a vehicle takes on the trail - a truck is a better choice. I also really do not care too much about pin-striping and scratches. Of course I try to avoid them, but I do not let a bush be a gatekeeper if necessary. I have taken my Super Duty to places you would usually not expect it to be.

I’ve taken a F350 on 37s with 18K of equipment and trailer behind it a lot of places you wouldn’t expect to find a super duty. It’s funny what you can achieve when you need to get somewhere with a heavy foot, 4lo, and good tires. These trucks are far more capable than most give them credit for!

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I've come to change my mind about reg cabs. I went from a RC to a SC and never thought I'd go back but now whenever I dream out a custom camper layout I always want more space in the camper ! But with a wife and Windy the Lab ... SC it is for me.

Agree with the recline for road trips - that's what we have done. But truth, I usually move my seat forward a bit to rest my feet on the firewall and now that the Ford cabs are a bit longer I think I could still recline tilt back some.

If you go RC but design your habitat with easily accessible (and clean) outside storage that will help greatly with grabbing or depositing "stuff" when you're getting down to do an activity or need somewhere quick to stash groceries etc. You might also be able to make use of a rear cab window slider (tho they are tiny) for jackets etc stored in the camper front.

If I was single and still wanted to 'wheel some I'd seriously consider a midsize (like a Ranger RC if they were avail). Been a long time for me, but for off road stuff I think size and weight still matter.

As for full size, yep payload generally but also beef. You can prob get similar payload in a F250 and F150 depending on configuration but the SD is gonna be more robust. Do you need that ? maybe not, but it's there to use if you ever do.
The payload in a HDPP F-150 is not going to be remotely close to a similarly optioned F250. Can you make a stripped down 150 reg cab HDPP similar to a crew cab well optioned 250? Absolutely. I’ve got a loaded out 22’ Lariat Tremor 250 with over 2800 lbs payload (2820ish to be exact). That’s a VERY basic F150 reg cab. A basic reg cab 250 gasser is going to be well north of 4K.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Not to burst your bubble, but a reg cab F250/350 have a TINY fuel tank. The SCLB has about 5-6 additional gallons, but it’s still pretty small, The CCSB has a 34 gallon tank, and a CCLB has a 48 gal tank. For tank perspective alone I’d probably look at a SCSB or SCLB. Heck even a CCSB with rear seat delete. The bed storage you lose from a SCLB to a CCSB is made up for with internal storage, and much better resale later down the road.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
didn't take long to solve this matter, F 250, SCAB.

As to it being a dd, the difference in gas would be less than the value of a second small car being tied up, the gas, maintenance, insurance and taxes, just drive the truck.

Our Trailhawk is really our dd, my F150 SCAB, 6.5' bed, lives in the driveway until I can get the garage cleaned out, again. I would not trade off interior storage so long as I can carry 4x8 sheets of construction stuff in the bed. (tailgate down)

Pulling a trailer allows external gas tanks to go with me.

ThundahBeagle

I would probably look for a 3/4 ton for the use and weight you describe. With the camper at 1500 lbs and the other mods give or take 400 extra lbs. Load gear 200 lbs, driver 150-200 lbs (guess) you are looking at around 2300 lbs or so. Sure the 1/2 ton could do it, but a 3/4 ton would do it better and with the added weight ride nice. Plus you get the benefit of straight axles (minus Chevy) and HD components etc.

^^^ this.

And, while Ford it technically the best selling truck in the US for the last 40 years. Be advised, the GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado are the same truck because they are both GM, but are counted separately because they are different name brands. Add those two manufacturers together and they outsell Ford.

Nothing wrong with Ford that isnt wrong with GM, I'm just saying, parts for the Silverado/Sierra platform are equally available if that's part of your thought process

TexasSixSeven

Observer
didn't take long to solve this matter, F 250, SCAB.

As to it being a dd, the difference in gas would be less than the value of a second small car being tied up, the gas, maintenance, insurance and taxes, just drive the truck.

Our Trailhawk is really our dd, my F150 SCAB, 6.5' bed, lives in the driveway until I can get the garage cleaned out, again. I would not trade off interior storage so long as I can carry 4x8 sheets of construction stuff in the bed. (tailgate down)

Pulling a trailer allows external gas tanks to go with me.
Regardless of cab on a 250/350 it’ll have as large or larger bed than a SCAB 6.5.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
People seem to forget that almost all forest service/BLM/Utility trucks are full size. I have taken my full size, as well as uncountable full size + Fire trucks on roads. Plenty of people say can’t be done.

I find the majority of people don’t take their nice rigs into super sketchy places, or have a very specific need. Like rock crawling. It may take more attention, or skill. But I have never found myself not going somewhere, because I had a full size.
This right here. Go look at the fleet of BLM and USFS trucks sometime.....stock height 4wds with maybe a decent all terrain. Then go look at what ranchers and permittees are driving. Again basically stock height 4wd with aftermarket tires and maybe a winch. All these rigs get a ton of miles on dirt.

Also look at the actual specs for trucks. A full size looks big but actual measurements tell a different story.

The F250/350 extended cab 6.75 bed is a great combo. I couldn't find a gas one under $50k when I bought my XD (paid 42k with a 7 year 150k bumper to bumper and lifetime powertrain and 25k miles...) but they're a cool truck. With dogs I have to lean towards 4 full doors though and the XD was a bit smaller than other full size 4 door 6.75 bed trucks. I also really like the 5.6 9 speed drivetrain but you owe it to yourself to drive everything. They all have pros and cons.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I’d go 3/4-ton to get the added payload and stronger frame/transmission/brakes/etc. Most almost always use at or near their max payload capacity with a dedicated bed/camper. While I’ve owned both Ford and RAM late model HD trucks, Ford gets the nod for my money but both have their strong suits. That said, it’s hard to beat a Power Wagon and I believe you can still add the package to a Big Horn work grade truck as well which can help keep costs down.
Problem is payload sucks on the PW.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Problem is payload sucks on a the PW.
Yep. And crew cab only for the last little while. If the OP is good with a crew, the Ram 2500 Rebel might be a contender.

If it were me, I'd spec it like this:

350 for added payload. Ride should be okay since there will be weight in the bed.

Added OnBoard Scales to make it easy to keep and eye on weight, ProPower Onboard for boondocking / dry camping.

XL off road pkg should suffice initially and it's ready to go out of the box.

Kept vinyl seats and carpet delete for easy cleaning.

6.8 will add payload over 7.3 and should offer more than enough power and 7.3 forces you into another pkg.

I'd upgrade the halogens to LED's though. Ford halogen headlights suck.

I splurged on the 360 cameras. I have them on my truck and they're worth every penny.

Also splurged on upfitter switches cause it's cheap to add them to a build and you may want to add accessories.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 093712.pngScreenshot 2024-01-04 093754.png
Screenshot 2024-01-04 093830.png
Screenshot 2024-01-04 094144.png

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Not to burst your bubble, but a reg cab F250/350 have a TINY fuel tank. The SCLB has about 5-6 additional gallons, but it’s still pretty small, The CCSB has a 34 gallon tank, and a CCLB has a 48 gal tank. For tank perspective alone I’d probably look at a SCSB or SCLB. Heck even a CCSB with rear seat delete. The bed storage you lose from a SCLB to a CCSB is made up for with internal storage, and much better resale later down the road.
I just checked the build site for Ford assuming I'd be able to show you otherwise.... How silly. You cant option for a larger tank on a SD but you can for an F150??? Lame.

There is an options for a 58 gallon aftermarket tank.....for $2700.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I just checked the build site for Ford assuming I'd be able to show you otherwise.... How silly. You cant option for a larger tank on a SD but you can for an F150??? Lame.

There is an options for a 58 gallon aftermarket tank.....for $2700.
Yep. I figured it was available on the smaller F150s. I knew it was on option on the crew cabs. I was just too lazy to do the research, but I’ve done plenty on available options for the Super Duty so I knew it off the top of my head.

I was originally intending to snag the 58 gal Transfer Flow tank at $2K, but when it finally released it was north of $3500 installed and shipped. I backed out at that time. Now I’m able to find them for $2700 and another $200 shipped, which isn’t as terrible. I’d like to say that I’m not buying it at that price, but the likelihood is that it will be a 2024 purchase for me. It would be a very welcome addition on plenty of our trips.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
OP- check out the most recent article at the top of the home page... the one with a Super Duty winning North American Truck of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues