Offroad capability of full size truck

COAKXterra

I’m not shy with taking our Power Wagon out on the stuff it’s capable of. That’s why we bought it, and knowingly took the obvious and glaring payload loss. But we wanted the crew cab (2 adults plus a tiny human and not tiny dog) and the capability vs payload and putting a camper on it full time (we did experiment with an AT Habitat). We tend to tent camp at the moment, so…. Canopy and fridge and camping/hiking gear is really all we need. We sit a couple hundred below rated payload when set up to head out for a week.

If I was putting a camper on, I’d be going for the 2500 rebel. I like the fit and finish of the rams, and despite its insatiable thirst, the hemi works well for our needs.

Ninelitetrip

@reverse01134

A few examples of the Ford Super Duty platform.

Last edited:

Bama67

I went from one extreme to the other, from a 2018 Super Duty Crew Cab Long bed to a Gladiator.

It wasn't the length that held the Ford back as much as width, I feel, or my fear of scratching/dinging it. It was actually impressive where I could go.
Biggest annoyance was Ford's terrible turning radius, exacerbated by the extreme length. My Father in Law has a Crew Cab Ram Longbed and its much shorter than the Ford, and turns sharper, only issue is that it is a Ram :)
The Gladiator Rubicon I have now will go absolutely anywhere but boy don't I miss the room and the giant bed.
Basically, the Full Size's offroad capability depends on how brave you are.

Ninelitetrip

Some more Ford Super Duty Super Cab goodness.

Read the threads from @montypower

reverse01134

It's been a hectic week with work and I haven't had a chance to respond to the recent replies.

However, my plan is progressing. I spoke with the shop where I had bodywork done on my Gladiator and they are happy to help with metal fabrication for my camper build. I confirmed they can weld aluminum. I'm not 100% set on the materials to use, but the plan is to build an exoskeleton and attach composite panels. I'm still researching what panels to use. Carbon core 4x8 sheets seem readily available and pretty cost effective but they basically have no insulation built in. The best option would be to find foam-filled panel (I guess people call it SIP), but I need to do some more research. Making my own panel is an option but I'm not sure if I have the skills and time.

The discussions on this thread have given me confidence that I should go with a full-size truck. I really appreciate all of your invaluable inputs. I'm looking at used 17-22 F250/350s. Stepping up to a 3/4-ton is definitely burdening my budget and it seems more aftermarket part options are available than the 23+ model.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
It's been a hectic week with work and I haven't had a chance to respond to the recent replies.

However, my plan is progressing. I spoke with the shop where I had bodywork done on my Gladiator and they are happy to help with metal fabrication for my camper build. I confirmed they can weld aluminum. I'm not 100% set on the materials to use, but the plan is to build an exoskeleton and attach composite panels. I'm still researching what panels to use. Carbon core 4x8 sheets seem readily available and pretty cost effective but they basically have no insulation built in. The best option would be to find foam-filled panel (I guess people call it SIP), but I need to do some more research. Making my own panel is an option but I'm not sure if I have the skills and time.

The discussions on this thread have given me confidence that I should go with a full-size truck. I really appreciate all of your invaluable inputs. I'm looking at used 17-22 F250/350s. Stepping up to a 3/4-ton is definitely burdening my budget and it seems more aftermarket part options are available than the 23+ model.

Yes, '23+ trucks had some changes not only with the exterior and interior but also in the running gear so the aftermarket hasn't caught up just yet.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

To offset the cost of moving to a 3/4 - 1 ton why not start out with a premanufactured camper instead of custom build?
Lots of people use them to tool around with. See videos posted above for example.
Might save you some time and money and get you out there faster!

reverse01134

To offset the cost of moving to a 3/4 - 1 ton why not start out with a premanufactured camper instead of custom build?
Lots of people use them to tool around with. See videos posted above for example.
Might save you some time and money and get you out there faster!
Buying a used camper is my plan B but at the moment, I'm focusing on gathering information online to figure out if I can manage DIY build.

The main reason for considering custom build is lightweight and low CG. I see the possibility that I can build a 6'x8'x4.5' box shell (no cabover) weighing approximately at 500#. Carbon core honeycomb panels weigh 32lbs per 4x8 sheet. The square footage of the shell is 220sqft, so that's 220lbs and the estimated weight for the aluminum tubing frame is around 270lbs. Interior will add more weight but the truck bed weight will offset that. So in a nutshell, I might be able to achieve 500# dry weight of the camper. After adding the weight of gears and passengers, 1000# total payload could be possible!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Any interest in getting aluminum pre cut, you assemble and add insulaton? My buddy Michaelbone_ on instagram had a local place CNC cut all of his aluminum panels and then he assembled it in his garage. Smaller than what you are looking to do but you get the idea. Would depend on your fab skills and your measuring/design skills.

reverse01134

Any interest in getting aluminum pre cut, you assemble and add insulaton? My buddy Michaelbone_ on instagram had a local place CNC cut all of his aluminum panels and then he assembled it in his garage. Smaller than what you are looking to do but you get the idea. Would depend on your fab skills and your measuring/design skills.
Thanks for the reference! I checked out the build on his IG. It's very similar to my original plan - using aluminum square tubing for the camper frame and DIBOND sheets for the exterior skin, attached to the frame with 3M VHB tapes. For the interior, I was planning to use pink foam insulation and 1/4" plywood for the skin. The biggest drawback of this plan is the thermal bridge through the aluminum frame. The plastic core in the DIBOND will somewhat mitigate the transfer but it probably has little to none R-value and won't break the cold bridge. Now I'm considering composite panels, although the original plan would be a lot easier to build. I'm curious about how your friend plans to insulate. Since he's based in the southwest region, insulation and condensation might not be a big of concern.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reference! I checked out the build on his IG. It's very similar to my original plan - using aluminum square tubing for the camper frame and DIBOND sheets for the exterior skin, attached to the frame with 3M VHB tapes. For the interior, I was planning to use pink foam insulation and 1/4" plywood for the skin. The biggest drawback of this plan is the thermal bridge through the aluminum frame. The plastic core in the DIBOND will somewhat mitigate the transfer but it probably has little to none R-value and won't break the cold bridge. Now I'm considering composite panels, although the original plan would be a lot easier to build. I'm curious about how your friend plans to insulate. Since he's based in the southwest region, insulation and condensation might not be a big of concern.
I can ask him Ill let you know what he says. He was just at home in TX and I believe he said one night dropped down to the mid 30's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater