Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Nice work. Looks good to me. I guess there's still the caveat not to use it on road because of DOT laws, etc...

Speaking of... I'm curious about that "factoid". I've never seen a 'DOT' stamp on couplers. At least not the ball and draw bar, never looked closely at a coupler. Is this really a hard and fast law, or is it one of those things...

Like people in the car world often talk about using "racing calipers" on-road is illegal because they are not DOT legal. The fact is, there is no DOT approval process for any aftermarket or repair parts. The only thing that is "DOT Approved" is the exact parts which ship on your car from the factory. Replacement pads, rebuilt calipers, etc... no DOT approval. So racing calipers are no more illegal than any aftermarket replacement caliper.

It is a fact that manufacturers must certify their cars to meet DOT specifications. There is no DOT approval process for replacement parts, no requirement for end users to retain all factory parts, or remain DOT compliant. There are a few exceptions to this... tires, lights, brake hoses and... Can't think of anything else.

Is it the same with couplers? Are Martyn's statements about DOT couplers only a requirement to him as a manufacturer?

All of this is notwithstanding the civil law implications should something happen.

stomperxj

Explorer
Nice work. Looks good to me. I guess there's still the caveat not to use it on road because of DOT laws, etc...

Speaking of... I'm curious about that "factoid". I've never seen a 'DOT' stamp on couplers. At least not the ball and draw bar, never looked closely at a coupler. Is this really a hard and fast law, or is it one of those things...

Like people in the car world often talk about using "racing calipers" on-road is illegal because they are not DOT legal. The fact is, there is no DOT approval process for any aftermarket or repair parts. The only thing that is "DOT Approved" is the exact parts which ship on your car from the factory. Replacement pads, rebuilt calipers, etc... no DOT approval. So racing calipers are no more illegal than any aftermarket replacement caliper.

It is a fact that manufacturers must certify their cars to meet DOT specifications. There is no DOT approval process for replacement parts, no requirement for end users to retain all factory parts, or remain DOT compliant. There are a few exceptions to this... tires, lights, brake hoses and... Can't think of anything else.

Is it the same with couplers? Are Martyn's statements about DOT couplers only a requirement to him as a manufacturer?

All of this is notwithstanding the civil law implications should something happen.

I figured someone would mention the DOT stuff. I am not aware of any sort of regulations or anything on couplers in my area. I'd say that my coupler is way way stronger than a lot of the couplers you can go buy at Walmart. Those are mounted with (2) 1/2" bolts and the shear strength of the bolts far exceeds the strength of the material of the coupler. Most are stamped from 14 ga or even thinner material. The weakest link in my coupler is the single 5/8" grade 8 bolt at the pivot point. The tensile strength of that bolt is in the neighborhood of 34,000 lbs. If this thing comes apart hopefully someone has a camera cuz its going to be a hell of a crash :)

Hopefully Martyn chimes in but I think he, as a manufacturer, has to meet certain rules and regs to be able to commercially sell his stuff. That's just a guess though. The laws are pretty lax around here for trailers. I don't even have to go in and show them what it looks like at the DMV. I just say I have a home built "utility" trailer and if it weighs less than 1000lbs (soley based on my word) I get a 10 year plate for around $30. I have built a few trailers and never had one inspected for anything. They dont even ask to look. I browsed through the Idaho DMV codes and could not find anything about couplers or utility trailers for that matter.

I am very confident that my coupler exceeds the strength of normal ball couplers. I am of course going to keep an eye on it and if for some slim chance that it starts to fatigue, I'll pull it and do something else...

Thanks for the compliments guys :victory:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I am very confident that my coupler exceeds the strength of normal ball couplers. I am of course going to keep an eye on it and if for some slim chance that it starts to fatigue, I'll pull it and do something else...

No doubt. However, logic doesn't always supercede laws. That's why I want to find what the law really is for an end user, not manufacturer.

stomperxj

Explorer
No doubt. However, logic doesn't always supercede laws. That's why I want to find what the law really is for an end user, not manufacturer.

I just called my DMV and they say there are no laws whatsoever in regards to a home built hitch/coupler setup because it is removable from the trailer. That's just Idaho though....

And just so you know, I do have a normal ball coupler that I will run too. I made them interchangeable...

slimtwo

Adventurer
Stomperxj, your Hitch looks like it should work great! I have enjoyed your thread allot, you are obviously extremely gifted when it comes to this stuff.

Keep up the great work!

Happy trails!

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Um I wouldn't benchmark anything off Idaho's trailer laws. From what you have stated Stomper, they are the exception. I'd like to register my trailers there. PA is the prick you state when it comes to custom built trailers and vehicle registrations. So I would advise folks to check the laws in there state to CYA.

stomperxj

Explorer
That's just Idaho though...

Um I wouldn't benchmark anything off Idaho's trailer laws. From what you have stated Stomper, they are the exception. I'd like to register my trailers there. PA is the prick you state when it comes to custom built trailers and vehicle registrations. So I would advise folks to check the laws in there state to CYA.

That's why I said that's just Idaho.... I wouldn't benchmark anything off of Idaho's trailer laws for other states either. I'm just glad I live here... :)

indiedog

Adventurer
Well done on the coupler Jess. :Wow1: And you have a lathe too?? Nice toys! For the 3rd pivot, that is the grade 8 bolt, have you just backed off the nut to allow it to rotate? Would a flat rotation bearing be a good thing here? I've never looked at one of those couplers that closely to know exactly what goes on.

stomperxj

Explorer
Definately some nice fab work on that coupler!

Thanks CJ

Well done on the coupler Jess. :Wow1: And you have a lathe too?? Nice toys! For the 3rd pivot, that is the grade 8 bolt, have you just backed off the nut to allow it to rotate? Would a flat rotation bearing be a good thing here? I've never looked at one of those couplers that closely to know exactly what goes on.

Yeah the nut is fairly tight on that but the UHMW washer allows it to pivot fine. I can turn the receiver end by hand with some force. I put a thin layer of good quality ER grease in there too so it should be fine. I think a bearing would probably be overkill as it wont rotate much under normal conditions...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'd think if it's snug but not tight, and you've got greased delrin or UHMW in there, it may feel stiff by hand, but compared to the trailer forces, it's nothing. Alternatively, you could double nut the joint so that you don't have to tighten it so much to make the nut stay put.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk