Oh Idaho...

mph

Expedition Leader
The rivers of Idaho are outstanding! Fish, floating, etc. July is a great time to try the dry fly action! July is also the time to float the rivers before they drop significantly.

Lilly enjoyed floating the Salmon River!

photo 1.jpg

The fishing was on...Lilly got a new Orvis setup from her grandfather recently and she was excited to use it. Louise and I were nervous she would break it. It is nice! She seemed to have good luck!

asset.php 2.jpeg

asset.php.jpeg

Louise used to guide in Jackson. She has the skills. She proved it...

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

Our goal for this day was to bike down to a ghost town and check it out. Relics of the past...Love it! A big breakfast to start the day.

DSC_0266.jpg

So many signs from the past.

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

This article caught my eye. Notice the author? Crazy...

photo 3.jpg

We witnessed an unusual event...The running of the Salmon. Or should I say the running of one lone Salmon. Quite an amazing sight. What a journey she/he had...

asset.php 3.jpeg

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
Our next few days involved driving an old stagecoach road and looking for good water to throw the fly in. The search for "good water" in Idaho is so much fun. Look at the map...find a road paralleling river and go fish it...July seems to be the prime month in my experience. The runoff from the mountains is over and the long dry, hot days of August where the river drops significantly aren't here just yet. July is the month...So, off we went...

Only a few miles down the road; we pulled over to fish.

asset.php 8.jpeg

Louise finding a ripple to fish.

asset.php 7.jpeg

The vast wilderness is grand. We were right on the edge of the Frank Church...I believe the largest wilderness area in the lower 48.

asset.php 9.jpeg

Our travels continued on...We were on the constant lookout for the "green" along the mountain valleys. The green of grasses, trees, and plant growth. The green that told us there is a water source. We found another. The Big Lost River.

The bridge seemed to be ok...

asset.php 2.jpeg

We setup camp and got the rods ready.

asset.php 3.jpeg

The evening light was magical.

asset.php.jpeg

Ginger didn't want to be left out of the action.

asset.php 4.jpeg

Louise in her element.

asset.php 5.jpeg

This fly hatch didn't get away. Trapped, glued to the rock.

asset.php 6.jpeg

It was that time...8 days later...We had to head south--Utah. Homeward bound. Oh Idaho...We can't wait to go back!

asset.php.jpeg

Until next time...

02TahoeMD

Explorer
More pics please!:lurk: Looks like a great trip. If you dont mind, what brand of bike carrier is that? I like the design very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat