old school toys

big sky trapper

Adventurer
Aint that somthin!! I thought I had read allmost every single post in here on the portal and some how missed yours!! Darn it.
I think i just googled toyota pictures or something and some how find those three there somewhere around page 5,982,463,592,176,591,786,430.5 Great looking truck you have. (hope its ok to use your pic in here now that we know its yours? )
the misses and me been kicking the idea around of later this summer repainting back to the orignal dark blue like yours but Im also liking that the green color of KCOWYO old truck as well.....But then theres still my camo obsession hahaha....

PhulesAU

Explorer
Not to hijack...... But how wide is a Yota bed where it bolts to the frame? And did you have to seriously reinforce the shell to support the rack? Thanks

SierraExplorer

Its cool you can use it. For PA's question, i didnt modify my shell much. I'm not planning to carry more that 60lbs on top anyway. As it sits right now i can sit in it and it doesnt move much. Big Sky, what size alternator are you thinking of getting and where would you get one? I'm in need of a bigger Alt. myself for my duel setup im going to make. :D

big sky trapper

Adventurer
Im really leaning towards the chevy alt/with internal regulator and using this mounting set up here

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/OnBoardWelder/index.shtml

With out the welder function. I have one of those in the garage and i doont intend to push this rig hard enough that i think i would have to weld on the trail somewhere to get back. If push really came to shove I could use my spare set of batteries/jumper cables, some 6011/13 or 7013 rod and get home.

Ive looked at several other "bolt in's" like the mean green and power master series but at 350-450 bucks each...that just seems a little outta my price for that set up plus the rated out put on both are still way under what i can get a new chevy stly alt from the local supplier. An extra few hours in the shop fabbing something up to convert sounds good to me.

There was a write up on 4x4 wire that used i think a supra alt from about the same period that was 100 amp and was almost a bolt in. I think the lower adj braket needed lengthened a few inches and that might be my 2 nd choice.

Westy

Adventurer
Here's a shot of my 'old school Toyota crawler/exploring/camping rig...

Brian.jpg

big sky trapper

Adventurer
just some poser drive way pic's

P4110052.jpg
[/IMG]
The bumper is an older one from a now gone company??? called STOUT no sure what it was originally for but a few fabbed brackets later and its on there. fits perfect.

P4110053.jpg
[/IMG]

Rear bumper. Its a BST built one for a 94 short box. Theres a slight dif between the 90's series rear frame rails and then a slight dif between the short and long box. Bolted it up, a few high speed runs down some wash board gravel and my rear frame was bent! so its welded on temporaly till after bear season then I will have a chance to get in there with some 1/4' plate and do some serious reinforcments back there.

P4110054.jpg
[/IMG]

just a driveway "poser" shot haha Lots more work to get her right.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ah, Stout! I've been racking my brains for the last month trying to remember the name of that company! I discovered their web site some time around 2001 or 2002 when I still drove a 2wd Ford and thought they made the coolest stuff. I was disappointed to see they are apparently no longer in business.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
"Patch", my '84 Xcab-SB is made from parts of 3 trucks. Hence his name. Original truck (tan) was built in Canada & sold in WA, which is why the bed rails & hooks.
33-10.50 A/T's & M/T's, 4.88's, Detroit x Lock-rite, Air shifted Marlin sitting on the garage floor (some work left to do), unkwn fronts x GM 65's, Bils on all 4, Icom V-8000 2m, Garmin GPS V, "Pro-Farm" spare carrier - tilted to clear the shell, RV fluoresent light in shell. Front bumper is my own design & fab, winch for it is sitting next to the Marlin. It's now a bit tilted due to a head-on with a Class 5 wannabe driven by a moron.
Love to camp the shell, hate to drive the shell. One color is on "the List."

Long John Cyn, Owens Valley:
Patch3.jpg

Phillips Cyn, Calico:
Patch2.jpg

"Inner Hodge", Stoddard Wells - MORE race:
Patch1.jpg

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Bumper was built in about '98, way b4 I had a digi-cam. At one time there was a page of jpgs out there somewhere output from SolidWorks, done by an ORC lister, based on my ACAD dwgs.
I've been thinking of selling it as I've never mounted a winch to it and now with the Sub in the picture I think I'll put the winch on a slider so that I can use it with either truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3