OME Springs

KG6BWS

Explorer
I have an 05+ Tacoma, so I do not have a direct comparison, but I think you have a set that is marked wrong.

My Tacoma can weigh close to 6,000 lb. and I do not touch the second overload leaf.
My trucks probably pushing around 5000 or so loaded for a trip, 4.5 or so normally. But my dad and I, if we're feeling frisky, can load my rack with the shell by hand. With the tent?? Uh uh, not happening.

AAL's and possibly some other tweaks. I've got a pretty heavy Tacoma and don't have your problem, CS046's with mods are extremely common, in fact we send more out tweaked then stock. Regarding the dented Nitrocharger, This was a problem with the older shocks, not a problem with the Nitrocharger Sports as they have a plastic upper shield rather than the steel on the standard Nitro's.

Call whomever you bought the springs from and ask them what they recommend for a solution. They took your money, they should be there to offer tech support and advice and hopefully have some product insight to solve your problem. :D
I might try that too. Bought them from Offroadtuff.com. THey had said they were being dropshipped from ARB so I doubt theyll help. THeyll just push the blame onto ARB for shipping the wrong ones. Worth a shot though. Gonna be making a lot of phone calls tomorrow at lunch!!!

4xdog

Explorer
I'm at least as concerned about your spring-shock clearance issues as I am about the load capacity. The interference certainly doesn't seem right, and it's the first I've heard of this.

Anyone else have any observations or comments on this part of the problem?

Zam15

Explorer
Regarding the dented Nitrocharger, This was a problem with the older shocks, not a problem with the Nitrocharger Sports as they have a plastic upper shield rather than the steel on the standard Nitro's.

Well its I dual tube so its just the outside that is damaged. I think that having a plastic shield would have been worse, I think that it would break if same thing happened to the plastic shield. But that's just my guess.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
TangoBlue - How does it ride with the AAL in there?? I live on dirt roads, so I ran it down the road real quick for a test drive. The ride is the ONLY thing Im happy with right now.
It rides great with the AAL. Drove 5000 miles and offroad at Moab immediately after the installation (the next morning) and couldn't have been happier with the ride. What made the ride even better - Lexus-like by my butt-o-meter - was the installation of DeMello frame reinforcement plates. Really made it feel solid. Have driven another 8k miles since, some offroading of course. This is my suspension:

2 x OME 882 Front Coil Springs
2 x CS046R Rear Leaf Springs; added a Dakar AAL 29XL because they were running flat.
2 x OME N91S Shocks
2 x OME N85 Shocks; swapped for N76 shocks to increase travel for the added height of the AAL.
2 x OME SB43 Bushing Kit
1 x OME GS12 Shackle Kit

But call ARB in the morning and talk to one of the techs - they were real good about responding to my questions and very interested in seeing that I was satisfied - I bet they'll do the same for you.

Last edited:

OldSven

Explorer
I have a few friends up here that are running them and they aren't bad for carrying weight but when I had my Tacoma I went the Chevy spring route because they were cheap and a out of a 3/4 ton truck and mine also was weighting in at about 5k at one point. You might want to consider going the deaver, alcan, or chevy route for that much weight. The Dakars are an awsome upgrade from stock but not on the top list for carrying that much load...

sasaholic

Adventurer
i love my chevys , but am goin to add add the other leaf that i have for em. i did 3 plus the overload and im gunna go 4 plus overload. chevys tend to ride on the ol alot when weighted down cause there arched up not down like normal, but either way empty or weighted they ride great.with my canopy, 400lbs plus of tools, gear and wood, plus my swingout that is an easy 150 with tires it sits about and inch low in the rear. when unloaded im about 1.5 inches high so thats only about a 3 inch swing .they are 1/2 ton springs afterall, but anyways here is a pic of mine . btw there is about 225 pounds in the bed in that pics plus my bumper as you can see

truck013.jpg

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Should you decide to have Deaver custom build the springs, here is some back ground info to help you decide what to do. First, I recommend getting your rig weighed as that will help them decide what is right for you. My rig is 4720 lbs empty and with full camp gear it tipped the scales at 5760 lbs. I originallly had out-of-the-box 8 leaf Deavers and while I loved the ride, when the camping gear was loaded the springs sat flat-- which meant that on every bump the springs were going into negative arch. Plus I wanted an inch more of lift, so I took them to Deaver for a custom build. I was right between needing to go to a 9 or a 10 leaf pack. I went with a ten and now wish I only had done the 9. The ride is a little harsher and even loaded the springs do not seem to compress much.

Something else you might want to have them do if you are having them custom build springs is add a 1/2 inch shim on the driver side to combat the "Tacoma Lean" that our model years are famous for. I originally asked for an extra 1/2 inch of spring curvature on the driver side and they said the shim was a better solution.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
I'm at least as concerned about your spring-shock clearance issues as I am about the load capacity. The interference certainly doesn't seem right, and it's the first I've heard of this.

Anyone else have any observations or comments on this part of the problem?

The springs hitting the shock body on hard articulation is not uncommon in Tacos. Here is one way of fixing it:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71453

My Bilsteins were pretty beat up when I replaced them and I used his technique and have not had problems since.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
AAL's and possibly some other tweaks. I've got a pretty heavy Tacoma and don't have your problem, CS046's with mods are extremely common, in fact we send more out tweaked then stock.
This "tweak"... Is this something you do in-house? Or is this an official kit, or mod from ARB? Just curious.

Should you decide to have Deaver custom build the springs . . . I recommend getting your rig weighed as that will help them decide what is right for you.

I was right between needing to go to a 9 or a 10 leaf pack. I went with a ten and now wish I only had done the 9.
Great advice, and same for me. I weighed my truck (without camping / wheeling gear), but drove it to Deaver loaded as if I was going on a trip. They told me that I was right between needing 9 or 10. They built me up with custom 9-leaf packs. The only time I get a little sag is when I have the trailer.

A while back, a guy on TTORA said that with a Tacoma - no matter what rear springs you have, you're always going to want something different. He's right.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Jamie, I take it you like the ride of the 9 leafs?

Out of curiosity did you have the Deaver 8 leaf pack before? If so how much of a difference did you feel in terms of harshness?

I am asking as I am seriously debating about having them remove a leaf.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I love my springs as they are. Yes - I had the off-the-shelf Deaver 8's. But when they built my 9's I think they only reused 1 or 2 of the original leafs in each spring. So you might want to carefully consider which leaf you want to take out. Watching them build my springs, it looked like they built each leaf with a specific purpose...

The 8's sagged immediately after I installed them, and were WAAAYYY too soft from the get-go. On my previous springs, I don't know if I ever hit the bump stops, but with the Deaver 8's I would hit the bump stops on any and every bump in the trail.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...I might try that too. Bought them from Offroadtuff.com. THey had said they were being dropshipped from ARB so I doubt theyll help. THeyll just push the blame onto ARB for shipping the wrong ones. Worth a shot though. Gonna be making a lot of phone calls tomorrow at lunch!!!

Bummer, let that be your lesson :D

Can you verify your springs say CS046RA and CS046RB on the top? I can only imagine they are the correct ones judging on the appearance, however you do have a heavy truck and these are considerations that absolutely should play into your suspension setup.

This "tweak"... Is this something you do in-house? Or is this an official kit, or mod from ARB? Just curious.

In-house. For what its worth ARB/OME never even officially offered an additional leaf for the CS046R springs. We had the luxury of having inventory of most the different Toyota springs they offer to play around with. That way we can ship 'heavy plus' springs direct to the customer if after going through a 'build sheet' we agree that is where he needs to be.

Last edited:

KG6BWS

Explorer
Bummer, let that be your lesson :D

Can you verify your springs say CS046RA and CS046RB on the top? I can only imagine they are the correct ones judging on the appearance, however you do have a heavy truck and these are considerations that absolutely should play into your suspension setup. .

Lesson learned, never again go with a "no-name" website vendor!!!! And yes they have CS046RA/B on them, and are installed as per ARB's website. A driver, B, passenger.

Received a reply, via email, from ARB today. They pretty much said that theyre springs are not designed for a load like mine. As SarSquid correctly said, they designed the springs for the average joe. They wanted ride first, on and off road, and load second. Loads as heavy as mine were not really factored in. As they said in the email, it would create a ride that is just to harsh for the average person.

I understand all that, and from a business stand point it makes sense on their part. Still was pretty surprised, but thats how it goes I guess. Theyre going to be sending me a set of extra leaves to install which they said should increase the spring rate about 15-20%. We'll see what happens once those are in.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
That's vaguely familiar - like what that knucklehead in post #19 told you. ;)

Prepare to check the travel on your shocks with the addition of the AAL and drill out the hole in the new leaf as well. You may consider a longer travel shock like the N76. You likely won't have to replace the centering pin as it was long enough to do the job and accomodate the new leaf, too.

Let us know what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater