On line source for steering box bolts?

saburai

Explorer
Hi Gang!

Yep, I broke one!

No jeep dealer close by.

Anyone have a good, fast & reasonable on line supplier for stock parts like this?

The bolt in question is for my '99 XJ.

Many Thanks:)

ExpoMike

When I did my bumper, I changed the bolts to ones about a 1/4" longer to compensate for the brace. I got the bolts from an Ace Hardware store. I don't recall if they were standard or metric but I just got the same grade as what was on there. No special dealer part needed.

saburai

Explorer
Good answer!

When I did my bumper, I changed the bolts to ones about a 1/4" longer to compensate for the brace. I got the bolts from an Ace Hardware store. I don't recall if they were standard or metric but I just got the same grade as what was on there. No special dealer part needed.

Good tip!
There is a good Ace about twenty minutes away:smiley_drive:
Since I'm only running on two bolts now:Wow1:, I guess I'll wait untill I get to the Hardware store to pull one to bring it in for a comparison.

I still wouldn't mind having a good on line source for dealer parts...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
try morris 4x4.com

they're awesome. had some stock parts that are on my rig now, to me in about a week or so. I'm sure you could pay more to expedite shipping.

EDIT: Hmmm, you might have to call them. They show a box, but not the bolts. I guess they expect you'll re-use. Maybe they have a secret menu Like "In-n-out", haha!

Last edited:

XJeeper

7/16''x14x4". GR8

Since stiffening the steering box area I've broken a couple bolts and carry a couple spares. Get them at Lowes.

97tjguzzy

Explorer
i would also suggest getting the bolts at a hardware store, when i build xj bumpers i usually just go pick up 3 new ones that are an inch longer.

one place i have found that has pretty good deals on parts is

http://rockauto.com/

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If they are an SAE bolt (Seems to be some disagreement above) then I would highly suggest buying some F911 bolts or a Holo-Krome SHCS instead of the G8 junk.

Something of both a higher strength and of greater ductility is called for. G8's only offer a reasonable strength, but their YTS and UTS are so close together (indicating low ductility) that when the strain exceeds the YTS by not much they will fail.

97tjguzzy

Explorer
If they are an SAE bolt (Seems to be some disagreement above) then I would highly suggest buying some F911 bolts or a Holo-Krome SHCS instead of the G8 junk.

Something of both a higher strength and of greater ductility is called for. G8's only offer a reasonable strength, but their YTS and UTS are so close together (indicating low ductility) that when the strain exceeds the YTS by not much they will fail.

edited mine, i was thinking they were metric, but i havent bought them in a while they may be standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach