Operation: Hood Stick Removal

Fergie

Expedition Leader
First, big thanks to MoGas for bringing this to my attention, and getting me a good price on the parts.

Everyone that has had gas good struts know that when they fail, they do so unexpectedly, usually with your head positioned just right so that it doesnt slam shut all the way....you head makes a good stop.

You'll need the following parts from Toyota:
53451-90A00 Hood Rod
90480-15002 Grommet
53452-90351 Holder

The hole for the holder, and hole for the grommet are already there, so you just pop them in. The grommet is on the drivers' side, and so is the hole for the support rod.

You may need to make some small bends to make everything fit; I didn't but MoGas did...RMV.

And for some pics, my old hood stick...just for Louis.
hoodsupport001.jpg

hoodsupport002.jpg

hoodsupport003.jpg

hoodsupport004.jpg

And no more stick...just rod!
hoodsupport005.jpg

BCcamp

Observer
Actually, it is a retro mod, going back to earlier and simpler times, before the newfangled gas struts were in vogue. I like it.

Sure the stick works, but I would lose the damn thing or bury it under gear in the back. Hate when that happens.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Actually, it is a retro mod, going back to earlier and simpler times, before the newfangled gas struts were in vogue. I like it.

Sure the stick works, but I would lose the damn thing or bury it under gear in the back. Hate when that happens.

Uh, not too retro... that's the same mechanism found on Tacoma's.

Satirical wit - not for everyone! :)

BCcamp

Observer
For a Land Cruiser it is. The reason the holes for the rod and grommet are there is because the front structural bracing that supports the radiator in the 1991 80 is the same as the 60 series. The 60 series used spring-loaded lever supports to aid in lifting the hood and the metal rod to support the hood when open. Now that would be a full on retro mod.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
For a Land Cruiser it is. The reason the holes for the rod and grommet are there is because the front structural bracing that supports the radiator in the 1991 80 is the same as the 60 series. The 60 series used spring-loaded lever supports to aid in lifting the hood and the metal rod to support the hood when open. Now that would be a full on retro mod.

Wow - we are on such different wavelengths. And I'm a little familiar with things with "TEQ" cast in their forgings, too. Lets just agree that you are always right and possess a limited appreciation for my feeble attempt at sarcastic humor.:p

Fergie

Expedition Leader
The platinum was another casualty of the Baja trip. I've got it in the garage right now, and it will go back in as soon as I fix the dual battery set-up.

Willman

I hope the OEM parts didn't cost too much...

Still think the wood stick gives her a cooler look!

:bike_rider:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Just over $20 for the parts isnt bad in my book.

The stick worked, but now I don't have to worry about the stick falling, or getting knocked aside when I am working in the area, and the rod is much more convenient.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I didn't know you could order that. I might have to do that as my next mod. When my struts are hot they hold the hood fine, but in cold they dont. $20 is cheaper than buying two new strut assists. I need to check if my '93 is the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333