Opinion: best roof rack for the LC80, why?

VanGo

Explorer
In my research I have found the INTI to be the benchmark for performance, but why break the bank and deal with the hassle of sourcing this rack when you can by USA made quality from an outstanding gent who happens to make outstanding products- Gamiviti is making more then just stellar racks for the 80 but a host of products for the 80 series. Check them out.....

fjfar80

In my research I have found the INTI to be the benchmark for performance, but why break the bank and deal with the hassle of sourcing this rack when you can by USA made quality from an outstanding gent who happens to make outstanding products- Gamiviti is making more then just stellar racks for the 80 but a host of products for the 80 series. Check them out.....

Funny you should mention that. I am one of the original guys that purchased his towers and crossbars when he was selling them on ih8mud.com. They were very sturdy; however they were not the right product for me...so, I went with the INTI.

- Mark

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I have the Frontrunner Wind Cheetah on my 80 for 40K mostly off-road miles now. I'm very happy with it's performance and absolutely love that I can mount the Frontrunner stainless steel table under it!

nakman

Ok wow, maybe I should check Expo more.. guys thanks for the kind Gamiviti props and Scott, I'm 20 minutes north of you man, you're welcome to check out some racks any time. I've got a full length flat one and a half rack now, both unpainted (and priced accordingly) just need to get the site updated.

I won't say they're the best out there, the extrusion racks probably are IMO (Inti, AO..) but I'll tell you why I made them: I wanted something I could bolt Yakima stuff to, bolt a RTT to, something I could toss firewood onto, and something low enough to get in the garage. Also wanted to keep costs down as much as reasonable, and sized that it would fit 60's, 80's, and 100's. Strong enough that you can stand on it if you have to, but light enough to not make you flop. I also hate expanded metal, it always rattles and rubs on stuff and causes rips in camping chairs. At least in my experience. I was in a fortunate position last year to buy a bender, and have a good friend who welds awesome who is also a mechanical engineer want to get into this with me... we did about a 6 month collaboration on these, then launched a production run. I haven't exactly retired on these- truth be told I still have half of that first run, but also have made a couple more styles in the interim, I've got a full length flat one and a half rack now, both unpainted (will be priced accordingly, just need to get the site updated). I think next up will be a 3/4 rack that will stop just before the sunroof. And that one, may be the best 100 series rack.. for whatever reason I like the one with the basket on the 100 but the flat one seems a little too long. I seem to be addicted to the R&D effort here..

I guess to answer the question the best rack is the one that gets you stoked every time you walk up to your truck. Just like the 'best' set of tires, or best front bumper. Because for me that's what excites me the most about building up these Land Cruisers, it's not the random run where I spank some huge thing with both lockers on, it's the rest of the time when I park 8 spaces away from everyone else.. so again, open invite to come check them out then report back what you think.

couple pics, I'm still looking for a 1/18th scale 60 if anyone knows of one... :sombrero:

Attachments

• rack4.jpg
    rack4.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 36
  • rack5.jpg
    rack5.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 33
  • rack3.jpg
    rack3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

kidkhmer

Well....I don't have access to anything decent here in Cambodia and flying stuff in is hellishly expensive. I cannot fabricate for ****. Anyways.. we have a lot of those very cheap aluminum racks around but I was noticing many of the UN LandCruisers had these very nice heavy duty style aluminum racks. I eventually found one and payed $400 for it. It suits my purposes of carting luggage and a few crates etc well. It is lightweight and I can get up on top of it no worries. Only downside is that the footing bolts etc are all nickel plated Chinese crap so they rust out eventually and need changing.

I am having a cargo bag made locally here ( will be very interested to see how it tturns out!! ) and would like to get a cargo net to go over the entire thing. Any suggestions??

VARIOUS029.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, my house in Arizona had freakishly tall garages right from the builder. I could fit the rooftent and still upgraded to a 6" lift. Long story but didn't have options where I am now. Just not sure how much structural effort it will be on the garage as there is a bedroom above it, but I think I can raise the header another 9", maybe put a steel wide flange instead to reduce height too.

Wait a minute, how much is this roof rack really going to cost me?...

Been following this thread. This is one of my hang ups as well. I like those Gamiviti racks and would like to purchase an EziAwn RTT for my family of 3. But even with stock ride height on my 100, it only leaves 10" of space between the garage and the roof (not the rack, but just the roof). Garage is bricked on the outside. I don't even want to think about how much it would cost to move that up a few inches.

Seems like the best choice for me at this point is getting a small trailer and putting the RTT on that...

lt1fire

Adventurer
Best it's hard to say..... I've always liked the Gobi racks and the inti ones.

For the price though the Gamiviti ones can not be beat and his other products seem top notch.

When it comes time for me though I think it is the J-moose rack all the way. Why? because I can build it myself and then add stuff on that I build as well. Apart from that it is very cheap.

http://www.wildyoats.com/the_j-rack.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman