Options for round the country trip.

Darwin

Explorer
you might have been fine with 33's in a landcruiser with 16 or 17 inch rims, but if going single rear wheel, wheel size is 20" not much sidewall on a 35" tire on a 20 inch rim, also you would have to account for the carry capacity of the tires. LT tires aren't rated for much weight. Best bet would be to go dual rear tires in a 19.5 rim.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I am really trying to stay away from a trailer just because we plan on moving quite frequently and like the ability to just stop and sleep, and the maneuverability of not having a trailer. On the other hand, being able to unhook the truck and drive around is nice, so a trailer isn't in the trash yet. Also, I agree with having a trailer around 50% of the capacity of the truck for everyday long distance towing (my wife was questioning why we would have to buy a new truck if my Land Cruiser could tow 5k lbs and that's what a trailer weighed lol).

We did the summer traveling with a TT and I can't think of any reason a truck camper would be more convenient for moving frequently.

Fatboyz

Observer
The Dalton is pretty tame and much busier than the Dempster. The Dempster is very muddy when wet, it's really sharp shale and there's a lot less traffic on it. It's of that type of road to get to Inuvic, now you can continue on to Tuk as the all weather road is open. I think you would beat a normal holiday trailer to pieces. I did see quite a few rental smaller class C motor homes on it but they were travelling pretty slow. I wouldn't tow a holiday trailer on it.

you might have been fine with 33's in a landcruiser with 16 or 17 inch rims, but if going single rear wheel, wheel size is 20" not much sidewall on a 35" tire on a 20 inch rim, also you would have to account for the carry capacity of the tires. LT tires aren't rated for much weight. Best bet would be to go dual rear tires in a 19.5 rim.

Yea, the way I explained it was confusing. The point I was attempting to make is that I won't really be getting into anything that would need anything bigger than 33's relative to the size of my Land Cruiser. Because of the size of truck we will be going with it'll likely end up with 395/85-20's.

The Dalton is pretty tame and much busier than the Dempster. The Dempster is very muddy when wet, it's really sharp shale and there's a lot less traffic on it. It's of that type of road to get to Inuvic, now you can continue on to Tuk as the all weather road is open. I think you would beat a normal holiday trailer to pieces. I did see quite a few rental smaller class C motor homes on it but they were travelling pretty slow. I wouldn't tow a holiday trailer on it.

Yes, we would like to do the Dempster (I'm under the assumption the Dalton is basically a maintained gravel road). I may have not been clear about that before.

We did the summer traveling with a TT and I can't think of any reason a truck camper would be more convenient for moving frequently.

The combination of having to purchase a tow rig and trailer is making this option less and less desirable, especially with the reports of the Dempster being incompatible with a trailer. Also, I have it in my head that being able to stop and crawl into the back and sleep will be useful. I understand this is likely to be rare, but I can't seem to shake this idea.

Right now I think I've narrowed it down to attempting to find an extended cab 4x4 box truck, flatbed, or chassis, with a wheelbase that puts the rear wheel between 8 and 10 feet from the cab, with a reliable diesel engine. Then either convert the box or build our own from scratch. If we can't find a commercial truck in the next year or so we will likely just pick up an LMTV or MTV (depending on box weight) and build a 12-14 foot box on the back of it.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Next fall, Jeanie and I, a mating pair of septuagenarian love birds and ex-hard core 4 wheelers are set to embark on a clockwise, circumnavigation around the U.S.A., 4 month trip with these parameters:
1. stay within 200 miles of an international border or ocean. We've already covered the complete beaches of the west coast and east through WA to ID so the trip will start at Sand Point ID.
2. time it so we are in the N.E. during leaf peeper season and make our way down the eastern seaboard to N. Fl. and back west again along the gulf and then the border states.
3. Leave on or around September 1st with return around New Year's Day.
4. campgrounds; NP's; NF's; N.M's; COE's; commercial campgrounds near cities; stealth camp in cities; stay in friends driveways; every 6 or 7 days stay in a high bucks hotel.
5. camp ON every beach that will allow it on the E. coast and Gulf. We are good on sand.
6. camp at a WA D.C. camp just out of the city with trams to D.C. and take in every monument, exhibit, museum, and attraction the place has for up to 10 days.
7. I have a list of "must-sees" along the way. Living in CA we've spent a lifetime already around the entire West, so we'll move faster through CA, OR, WA, ID, NM, and AZ.
8. Jeanie is the only truck camper gourmet cook I know. I call her "Queen Leftovah".
For a while we've been conjuring up this road trip, and our aces in the hole are, it's just us: no pets; no kids; a 20 year old, 1842 pound wet Lance camper on a prepared 2001.5 Dodge RAM 6 speed manual high output Cummins TD. I've been building both the truck and the camper since we purchased them, just for this happenstance.
**The cautionary part maybe for you is to have some specific goals to keep you semi-on-track with lots of wiggle room.
I've been dreaming of this for a long time. Our rig is fully self contained; weighs 10,400 pounds wet, and is 20 feet long; short enough to do the Highway to the Sun road in Glacier N.P., and yes we have, or park in a regular car parking lot. It will travel in any season; any weather, any road condition come hell or high water. Here's the high water part anyway: swimming upstream during a flash flood in Death Valley:

jefe

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
If I were in your shoes I’d strongly consider building something like this, with a less expensive truck you can hit your budget.

3cec4f3dbc4597466e55b5a2b1b45848.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
After re reading your original post, there is one other avenue to pursue: buy a used truck and camper already mated and ready to go. They are out there, and big ones, but you need time, patience, and a very wide net to wind up with a nice rig. A couple guys above are dreaming if they think you could get into a specialized big time rig on your budget buck. A cadre of older happy truck campers are parting with their off road capable rigs every day. All the bugs have already been ironed out. You just have to find them. Since you are not going to be hard core in the off road part, I recommend a 3500/350 to 5500/550 , 4WD, dualie setup and a large, heavy, 11-12 foot camper as the best, trouble free long term traveling machine. Oh, and forget the cheap-in military options, unless you spend an inordinate amount of time and your mechanical expertise in fixing it up; and 45 mph on the interstate with the engine between you and your passenger--not going to cut it. I went through the dreaming stage with this military mania a few years ago and my wife took one look at the 1078 and said, "no way, jefe". If you have not been a serious off roader before, with lots of experience, and because of clearance issues; height/width/approach/breakover/ departure angles, you won't be doing much more than dirt roads anyway, so maybe a 24 foot class C with 4WD, if you could find one, would be a better plan. Another thing is you will change your mind about all of this over time, so don't get roped into something you cannot unload easily and keep looking for that (near) perfect used lashup.
jefe

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I met a guy in Loreto, Baja Sur last January that had a great setup. A custom aluminum flatbed made in Iowa, designed for a big truck camper and his Ford F450. The tie-downs were amazing. Wished I taken some photos, but I was a few Pacifico’s in to it by then!

Jo_Duval

Observer
I have it in my head that being able to stop and crawl into the back and sleep will be useful. I understand this is likely to be rare, but I can't seem to shake this idea.

Right now I think I've narrowed it down to attempting to find an extended cab 4x4 box truck, flatbed, or chassis, with a wheelbase that puts the rear wheel between 8 and 10 feet from the cab, with a reliable diesel engine. Then either convert the box or build our own from scratch. If we can't find a commercial truck in the next year or so we will likely just pick up an LMTV or MTV (depending on box weight) and build a 12-14 foot box on the back of it.

the passthrough is my favorite part of our van, I am looking at getting something bigger 10-12' flatbed camper propably a self build.. but if we would get a camper lets say a lance 850 I would be modifying it to add the pass through it is a must for any of our next adventure vehicles!

I am looking at a similar trip in the next 5 years, thinking at the next build. id like to not be so high off the ground as a 4x4 class 5 truck but it they ride so nice that the cab comfort will probably outweigh the 1 extra step to get in and out.

the passthrough is my favorite part of our van, I am looking at getting something bigger 10-12' flatbed camper propably a self build.. but if we would get a camper lets say a lance 850 I would be modifying it to add the pass through it is a must for any of our next adventure vehicles!

I am looking at a similar trip in the next 5 years, thinking at the next build. id like to not be so high off the ground as a 4x4 class 5 truck but it they ride so nice that the cab comfort will probably outweigh the 1 extra step to get in and out.

We are definitely planning on having a pass through and are looking at buying a 12- 16 foot Ford E-series box truck and building that, and using it over the next couple years to iron out all the kinks and so we know what to expect when we set off on our trip. Once we leave we will probably head straight to a shop to have it converted to 4x4 if we don't have it done before. Just trying to hold out for one with a 7.3, even if it needs work, at the right price.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
We are definitely planning on having a pass through and are looking at buying a 12- 16 foot Ford E-series box truck and building that, and using it over the next couple years to iron out all the kinks and so we know what to expect when we set off on our trip. Once we leave we will probably head straight to a shop to have it converted to 4x4 if we don't have it done before. Just trying to hold out for one with a 7.3, even if it needs work, at the right price.

I was going to suggest that but its not a very popular choice, it does tick a lot of your boxes.
I was having a hard time imagining "2 adults, 1 child, and two 60 lbs. dogs" going in and out that little hobbit door on the FWC posted above, or a truck camper door/stairs for that matter.

If you are open to a retired ambo with the box removed (build or locate your own box) Arrow often has 7.3 diesels, like this one which is already SRW, http://arrowmfgtrucks.com/listing/71564/
When I bought my 2011 they had a 7.3 with 7200 miles for not much more than the one linked above. ($4500 I think).

Also check out this box truck which recently got converted by Ujoint off road, https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/e350-10ft-box-van.198271/

Last edited:

Third

Heh, nice thing about being short is that's a non-issue. :)

But yes, the interior height varies greatly between make and models. It's not uncommon to find a 14-foot box that is at least 6', though.

I'm doing an ambo-box conversion on my LMTV (much like CoachGeo).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk