out with the old in with the new

westyss

Explorer
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, and sorry for the delay responding but I got busy with work.

To answer some of your questions:

Your camper is almost exactly what I hope to build some day, except a little bigger, on a crew cab, with more rise to the top (or should I say more drop? I want it to fit in an ISO container like the Goanna Tracks rigs but hard-sided like yours).

I really tried to keep the whole rig as low as I could, but you can only do so much, and I would say the lower profile you want to go, the more it will cost you and the more compromises you will have to make. That said, a higher top will make having a solid, one piece door nearly impossible or very , very short, I compromised on the door height and it is at a minimum height for me, not ideal but managable, my wife and I are both fairly tall, and some stooping is needed to get out. The other option is a fairly complicated double door system, that makes sealing for the wind a bit of a problem, but its obviously been done. I wanted to be able to use the door and all the facilities inside even with the top down, and this is what I came up with.
The tape and velcro work so well, but its really only because right now its in try out mode so the interior is not really fully commited, but man it holds strong, the cabinets are basicly not moveable, you need to pry it off from top to bottom with gusto.

Would you consider building a second camper for a customer?
Haven, This was to be a bit of a test build as I did have another person that wanted one, due to the delay in getting the composite walls, he had to go a different route, but that said, I think building for others needs alot of added items, like the most important one in our world right now; LIABILITY! that ugly word stops alot of good ideas, unfortunately.

Great job on your camper, it really looks nice! Did your truck have a box on it when you bought it? I am just wondering what the difference in fuel economy would be with the camper lowered vs raised? With my Isuzu I can get 15 mpg if I stay at 55 mph, anything above that, or with a head wind, and it drops down to as low to 13 - 14. My first trip with the standard cargo box I think I got about 11.5 mpg at 65 mph. Without the box I got as high as 18 in city/suburb driving, but it sure did ride rough. Never took it on the highway in that condition. I never have weighed it, but like you, I'm sure I overbuilt it just to make sure it was solid enough. It rides smooth though! I'll bet you get lots of gratifying comments on it!
Vic, It did not have a box when I bought the truck, it was decked out with a dump box that was never used, was all ordered up and the guy bailed on the final purchase, the truck sat for several years until I got it. It is a 2007 that I bought in 2009 with 300 km on it and no DPF burn thingy. The fuel mileage I posted in the "fuel economy" thread was on my cross Canada trip with a barely broken in engine, but I do know about drag coefficients, hence the lowering roof. On my trip I got 16.7 mpg imperial so around 13mpg US.fully loaded, and those numbers are adjusted for tire size,and are the whole 8,250km devided by the litres of diesel purchased for the whole trip: so as accurate as I can get, I really have a hard time believing some manufacturers on board computer mpg's, before I had the cabin on I did a 500km trip into the interior of BC and got close to 18mpg. After doing a little research, I think the FG is still one of the best vehicles for economy in its size range.

Could you tell me what rims/size/tires you are using, and where did you find those?

BaseCamp, the rims I had made from 'Stockton wheel' they are 19.5 x 8.25 and I have michelin XDE2+ mounted on them, I went with these due to the amount of paved road travel I do and the fact that they are good for alot of miles, I was looking at Toyo 303 but could not get them here, I am a big michelin fan, every vehicle I have had I install them on, except my westy, no sizes available for it, but I really like the ride that they give me, and it sure changed the ride on the FG but apperantly they are not too good in mud, so far the mud I have gone through, around 16" deep, I had no problems, again everything is a compromise, give and take every where.

BaseCamp

Observer
Thanks I have seen that wheel combo on a lot of the fg's on this site and was wondering. I think they look awesome, I'm always a function over fashion kinda guy and personally think they look better than anything else you could get going on a expo vehicle. Really like your build though, I love my sportsmobile but am always daydreaming about whats next and I think an fg build could def fit that slot.

BaseCamp

Observer
I was also thinking if you ever needed to get her in a shipping container, you can get 205/40r16's to put on your stock wheels, that'll drop you down about 4.5 inches from the stock height.

LukeH

Adventurer
I think building for others needs alot of added items, like the most important one in our world right now; LIABILITY! that ugly word stops alot of good ideas, unfortunately.

Or the total incapacity of the average individual to TAKE RESPONSABILITY for his actions these days.
I know that if a mass produced product isn't fit for purpose one should have a means of comeback to the manufacturer, but it's just gone too far, the whole Cessna legend is a classic example. Or the idiot who wanted to sue Raleigh bikes because SHE didn't tighten her front wheel when taking the bike out of the car.
AARGH!

Sorry, Rant over.

Hell, the way the Dollar's going you could export to the UK. At least the whole liability thing isn't nearly as degenerated as it is on your side of the pond.
I can assure you a beautiful box like that would easily find buyers in the UK and Europe. If you made it flat tray demountable it becomes a payload and doesn't even have to pass the road safety tests in Europe.
In England you take responsability for that kind of mod, and it's the insurance company that inspects and makes sure nobody does something silly.

westyss

Explorer
Ahh, finally got picasa to work, it hasnt been working well for the last couple of days,

This is the truck with the dump body, the dealer drove it out to my workplace, 45km's so I could take it for a test drive, I guess they were anxious to sell it.

my%20pics%202009%20247.jpg

this is how I got it, dump body removed, light on the back end. I drove it home from the company that took the equipment off and it was easy to spin the rear wheels, and man what a rough ride, these trucks need some weight on those rear ends. My fillings got shook out.
my%20pics%202009%20265.jpg

westyss

Explorer
eco roamer update

Not sure where to put these, so I'll put them here.
I was merging onto the number one highway just outside of Abbotsford B.C. where I live, and looked in my rear view and saw this thing.

iphone%20pics%20243.JPG

Had some writing on it. "Eco Roamer" It passed me and while passing , gave each other a wave hello.

iphone%20pics%20246.JPG

He got off the highway and pulled into a gas station, obviously I followed him in. They are heading south after spending some time in Alaska, and were en route to Vancouver for the night. Yes it was Jay and Alice, we checked out each others rigs, and I must say that thing looked good, nicely used with some great patina to the exterior, and the single rear wheels look good. The interior was well laid out, seeing it in person is so different, unfortunately I didnt get any pics of the interior. They are now on their eleventh month full time in the ecoroamer with their two kids and looks like they are having a great time.

Here Jay is taking a picture of me taking a picture of him, ha small world. I hope you dont mind the pics Jay,

iphone%20pics%20251.JPG

I just had to get a shot of this side because this is the side with the icicle hanging off the top, and the pile of snow on his spare tires. Sorry about the picture quality, all I had was my phone.
iphone%20pics%20253.JPG

And Jay and Alice , if you read this, it was great meeting you all and have a great trip.

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
First off, some of you guys are so talented it's scary. This thing turned out amazing!!!

Question about the Rhinocore: did you have to add any fiberglass over the surface or is it ready to use "as is" when it arrives from the factory? Reading the SuperCamper Blog it seems like their experience with NidaCore was a mess due to covering everything with fiberglass. You didn't mention adding a layer of fiberglass to the exterior and your panels look perfect:

Just curious as we'd like to use the honeycomb-sandwich-composite material on a little project but I'm concerned about the amount of extra work necessary (if there is any) to make the exterior weatherproof.

westyss

Explorer
HMR,
the panels are ready to go, you can order what you want, but I went with interior and exterior fibreglass, so stick em together and you are all set, easy to clean and nice and shiny, the SUPERCAMPER product is significantly different, Nida core i believe comes in set sized panels that need to be joined together, thats where they ran into issues with sanding the joints, with a rhinocore product,you order the product how you want it, colours, sizes thicknesses etc. give them a call.

NapaBavarian

I wish I could find a 4x4 down here! I've looked at those, but pretty much decided on an E350 ford ambulance after looking for a proper cab foreward truck!

ExpoMike

I wish I could find a 4x4 down here! I've looked at those, but pretty much decided on an E350 ford ambulance after looking for a proper cab foreward truck!

Almost bought one last week. Word of caution, if you have another person that will ride shotgun, if you are looking at older one, make sure you have them test ride in the pass. side. My wife found with the engine doghouse size and vans typically having the engine offset to the pass. side, it was very cramped for her and gave it a thumbs down. Basically took van based rigs off the list for us. Started looking at truck based rigs since then, as they have a standard seating/leg/foot area as most vehicles. Just throwing out my .02 worth...

NapaBavarian

Almost bought one last week. Word of caution, if you have another person that will ride shotgun, if you are looking at older one, make sure you have them test ride in the pass. side. My wife found with the engine doghouse size and vans typically having the engine offset to the pass. side, it was very cramped for her and gave it a thumbs down. Basically took van based rigs off the list for us. Started looking at truck based rigs since then, as they have a standard seating/leg/foot area as most vehicles. Just throwing out my .02 worth...

For that reason I'm considering a 92-early 94, although the interior feels cheaper to me, plenty of miles driving and riding shotgun in an '84 and never had trouble with my size 13 feet, but everyone has their own preference.

I've seen photos of wrecked ambulance bodies, they don't survive, but atest to the durability of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater