Outdoor Kid Photo Thread

Steve F

Adventurer
Our first camping stop in a 1 month offroad trip, this was at Rockhampton (Australia) next to the river in the middle of town :)

IMG_0863.jpg

And further North at a place called Rollingstone, we were camped just back from the beach, this was the following night.

IMG_0918.jpg

Me and my daughter at the most Northen tip of the Australian continent, the whole reason for our trip :)

IMG_1554.jpg

She cant read but knows what these mean, 'No swimming snappy crocodiles'

IMG_1178.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Camping on a remote beach in the UAE not far from the border with Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

Attachments

• Adventure Twins.jpg
    Adventure Twins.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 20

lam396

Adventurer
These pictures were taken at the Grand Canyon this past summer.

He nearly emptied my 3L bladder after he figured out that he could reach it and suck the water down!
GC%u00252525202011%252520477.jpg

What do you get when a kid runs around in a diaper under a pine tree? Porcupine butt!
GC%u00252525202011%252520516.jpg

After a hard day playing in the dirt and sand.
GC%u00252525202011%252520105.jpg

Nice little nap along the Rainbow Rim trail.
GC%u00252525202011%252520676.jpg

Stopping for a little lunch break along Saddle Mountain.
GC%u00252525202011%252520059.jpg

We have another little one on the way due in late May so the Deuter will be getting some use this summer and fall also.

Attachments

• GC%u00252525202011%252520710.jpg
    GC%u00252525202011%252520710.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 418

lam396

Adventurer
Just in the driveway but getting out for his first ride on his balance bike. He didn't go very far but he really likes to sit on it and wear his helmet.
First%u0025252520Bike.jpg

Bonked

Observer
Awesome adventures with your kids! How old are they to be that active? My little girl is 5.5 and she is spending several hours each day on her bicycle. I'm about to get her out on a wide trail. Kid #2 will be here in a couple months!

In the photos my son is 12 and my daughter is 9. I have another son who just turned 6, also. Living in Southern Cal provides the opportunity to explore nature, from easy hikes to really difficult stuff. For example, just 2 miles from my house is a nature preserve that allows for miles of pretty flat hiking/biking on both fire roads and single track. My oldest began biking the preserve with me when he was 5. Of course, my daughter wanted to join as soon as possible, so she has been riding since about 5, also. I have found that once my kids can ride a bike with 20" wheels and gears, they are capable of some trail riding. In fact, my youngest just joined our mountain biking since Santa crought him a new bike!

My daughter's first real test was when she was 8. We were car camping on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada @ about 9'500' and I hiked her up to 11,500' over 5 miles. That was a long, challenginf climb for any 8 yr-old. Of course, there was some cajoling on my part..."It's just a little bit more"...and, "Let's go another 15 minutes." Soon enough, we reached the pass, and once my daughter saw the other side, the wide expanse of meadow, streams, and lakes, she was so amazed that she announced on the spot that she wanted to go down there! Of course, we didn't that day because that would requires backpacking, but that's what I wanted to hear!

My tips, allow for many breaks & SNACKS. Other than that, nature is so invigorating: snow in the mountains in July, streams, lakes, etc. One last tip, my daughter loves ice cream, so every time we return from something strenuous, I always treat her with ice cream. :)

Sometimes, I have to push my kids a bit, but they have learned that there is nothinng like a summit, alpine lake swim, secluded beach, etc. I have always planned a destination with a view, and my kids now take pride in knowing that nobody in their entire school has experienced the views that they have. Ha ha!

My youngest can only go so far, so you don't see him in the photos I posted, but he is just too young to pursue the strenuous hikes. He still loves to run all over nature, without regard to its inherent danger. He's learning, though, and it's all a blast for me to witness.

Enjoy these times with your daughter and, hopefully, she'll be ther with you doing something you both love!

Awesome, Bonked! I love seeing kids outside!

My munckin has been on several hikes, up to about 6 miles, on relatively difficult terrain (no real elevation, but plenty of elevation change) and in some serious heat. We stop when she wants to and go when she's ready. My only tip is to NOT carry the kid... they'll try to become dependent on it and at the first hint of being tired they want a piggy back ride.

I'm searching for a new mountain bike and we'll be riding soon. Her bike is just a little 12 or 16" single speed, but she's getting the hang of it.... even stood on the seat last night! Kind of scary, but she learns well from crashing! :)

Keep it up and please, share your adventures with us!

psykokid

Explorer
Here's my son last summer at a little lake up in lassen national forest a stones throw away from lassen national park called Blue lake, it was about a 2 mile hike to get to here from the trailhead. Not a soul around and water so clear you could see all the way to the bottom 100' out..

IMG_3262.jpg

here's one of the other "kids" resting in a little spring fed creek up there.. It was freezing and she sat there for quite some time..

IMG_3129.jpg

Expedition Leader
My kids are all older than yours! Here is my youngest, from a trip to southern Utah:

DSC_0413small.jpg

DSC_0369small.jpg

DSC_0405.jpg

And from several years before that:

Marenfullpack.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
1911, that last photo of your daughter is great!

Josh, thanks to the link of your blog, your bio is very interesting, and your trip sounds like it will be fantastic. Safe journeys!

Expedition Leader
1911, that last photo of your daughter is great!

Thanks. She loves the outdoors; that was taken at the end of a 4-month wilderness survival course she went on (in the winter no less). She can make fire with a bow drill that she made from scratch herself. She's 19 now and just getting into technical rock climbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner