Outdoor Kid Photo Thread

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Which slot is this?

Scott, not sure why I didn't see this until now, but that canyon is one of three or four slots in close proximity to each other along the Hole in the Rock trail in Escalante, Utah. I don't remember specifically which is which, but I think the names are Spooky, Peek-A-Boo, and either Brimestone or Coyote (I can't remember which). The one in that picture is the easiest of the three we did. It is probaby Coyote, but I can't confirm it. I know that Peekaboo had a difficult climb to enter in, where the mouth of the slot is about 15-20 feet above the sandy floor of the dry wash, but was really fun, and I know that Spooky was pretty tight for my hefty proportions, but my son loved it. I had to help him up and through a few of the reaches, but nothing that couldn't be accomlished without tossing him to the next ledge :)

This is a good website for finding slot canyons:
http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/index.html

I have a few more photos posted of this particular easy canyon. I did not bring my camera into the harder ones (stupid!)

Entrance to Coyote?
626685318_PXbJY-XL.jpg

Somewhere along the canyon
626685351_m4Kqr-XL.jpg

626685581_tPapm-XL.jpg

626685602_SeXDh-XL.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
'Indoors' while outdoors:elkgrin:

My son JP's first year deer hunting (with an adult)

IMG_20111112_111824.jpg

Turns out the enclosed deer stand we built for my mother in law, was perfect for the two of us to spend the afternoon.

Didn't see any deer, but saw an owl, a grouse, and watched a playful pine marten for most of an hour.

JP shooting his new .243

IMG_20111029_153634.jpg

JP and his first grouse of the season, with the help of 'Pappa' (his grandpa, my father in law)

IMG_20111030_112401.jpg

JP on his quad, going out to check the trails.

IMG_20111022_121255.jpg

Trying to decide: "Is it legal to park here?"

IMG_20111019_134947.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Why is he shooting your car?
LOL

I know, looks bad don't it! It's not the greatest set up, we usually go to the range.

Our shooting at the cabin is usually .22's and handguns, and some clay's. (and only 20 yards from the backstop)

But to get some range (70 yards from where he's at to the backstop) we move back near the cabin.

The car/garage are 20-25 yards to the side, but it doesn't look like it in the pic.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nice photo snake. Like your kids pants too. My kids outgrow them so fast, they can only wear the lowers for a month or so :)

Bonked

Observer
So Cal Outdoor Kids

Happy New Year to all. Hopefully 2012 will be full of many outdoor adventures for us all. My kids loved 2011;

Montana: Glacier National park:
MTGlacierDVD69-1.jpg
MTGlacierDVD99-1.jpg

MTGlacierDVD88-1.jpg
MTGlacierDVD77-1.jpg

:victory:
Oregon:
ORBendDVD1-1.jpg
ORBendDVD14-1.jpg
ORCraterDVD33-1.jpg
ORBendDVD15-1.jpg

ORCraterDVD19-1.jpg

:)
Idaho
IDStanleyDVD14-1.jpg
IDStanleyDVD22-1.jpg

IDStanleyDVD2-1.jpg
IDStanleyDVD5-1.jpg

IDStanleyDVD21-1.jpg
IDStanleyDVD39-1.jpg

IDStanleyDVD42-1.jpg

Northen Cal:
CANorcalDVD16-1.jpg
CANorcalDVD45-1.jpg

CANorcalDVD61-1.jpg
CANorcalDVD52-1.jpg

:wings:

I sure had a great 2011 with my children in the wild. Thanks for viewing and allowing me to re-live some great moments!

HAPPY 2012!!!

Last edited:

boknows

Adventurer
New years Beach Breakfast

Attempting to start the new Year out right and keep my kids appreciating the outdoors. We took a day trip out to the coast of NC to watch the sunrise on 1 Jan.
We started doing this last year when we realized that with 3 kids our new years evening of partying late into the night was a wash. Sometimes you just have to check your priorities.

Packed their backpacks and the trailer the night before so we could leave by 0400.
DSC04159.jpg

As usual everyone was racked out as I enjoyed a peaceful mug of coffee and two plus hours of silence.
DSC04163.jpg

Got to the beach just before 0600 and the kids took right to it.
DSC04173.jpg

DSC04182.jpg

DSC04190.jpg

DSC04197.jpg

Got to start em young. I think I have this same picture with all three of my children.
DSC04227.jpg

after Carolina beach we headed down through Fort Fisher and onto the Southport Ferry where we had lunch at Fishy Fishy. With a belly full of Flounder we embarked on the three hour trip back home, most of which I found myself driving in that same early morning silence. It's going to be a great year folks. Happy new year.

Bo

Happy New Year to all. Hopefully 2012 will be full of many outdoor adventures for us all. My kids loved 2011;

Montana: Glacier National park:
MTGlacierDVD99-1.jpg

:victory:
Oregon:
ORCraterDVD33-1.jpg

ORCraterDVD19-1.jpg

Idaho

IDStanleyDVD21-1.jpg
IDStanleyDVD39-1.jpg

Awesome adventures with your kids! How old are they to be that active? My little girl is 5.5 and she is spending several hours each day on her bicycle. I'm about to get her out on a wide trail. Kid #2 will be here in a couple months!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner