Over heating!!!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Rover started over heating on me today. I had to stop twice to let it cool off toget home. I did two things to the rover this weekend. I had noted the coolant was geting low in the tank so I toped it off and looked for a coolant leak. Not finding any I changed the oil. The oil looked good an was not milky at all. Now I never really sure what wate of oil to get "my jeep is has it on the fill plug" so I always ask the guy at the auto store. Dude at one said store told me to get 10w 30, is it more likely the kseal or the oil wate that's the problem. Any heads up?

Nate

Sorry for spelling this is from my iPhone.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Rover started over heating on me today. I had to stop twice to let it cool off toget home. I did two things to the rover this weekend. I had noted the coolant was geting low in the tank so I toped it off and looked for a coolant leak. Not finding any I changed the oil. The oil looked good an was not milky at all. Now I never really sure what wate of oil to get "my jeep is has it on the fill plug" so I always ask the guy at the auto store. Dude at one said store told me to get 10w 30, is it more likely the kseal or the oil wate that's the problem. Any heads up?

Nate

Sorry for spelling this is from my iPhone.

Not quite sure what you were asking about the kseal, oil/water at the end there. You put the kseal in the radiator, not the oil, right? If you're losing a lot of coolant and there's no obvious external cause, then my bet is that you have a head gasket problem. Any oil in the radiator itself?

David

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Have you checked the viscous clutch for the fan to make sure it's working properly?
The owners manual has the correct oil weight. If you don't have an owners manual, google "green oval + rave" and download either rave_01 or rave_03 (I don't know if you have a D1 or a DII.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Of yeah I put the kseal in the radiator. No oil in the coolant dosent look like coolant in the oil.
I put in a new GM viscous clutch in September I put in a new GM viscous clutch in September and when I looked in my manual it only says to use the right oil for you environment. I'll look in my Rave manual tonight. I have a 99 D1

Last edited:

Burton

I had a similar issue with my D90 (no oil in the coolant and no obvious coolant in the oil). I also checked cooling lines, overflow cap, thermostat, and fan clutch. I even tried the test for exhaust in the coolant. In the end it was a head gasket, which was clear when we took it apart. Fixed it and all ran cool (pun intended).

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Is it common for this to happen, Just after the oil change? It ran just fine before. Thats why I thought the K Seal might be clogging up the cooling system some where.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Is it common for this to happen, Just after the oil change? It ran just fine before. Thats why I thought the K Seal might be clogging up the cooling system some where.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Kseal or oil. If it just started overheating all of the sudden, and you've checked everything else, then I would do a compression and/or leakdown test to see what's going on internally. If I remember correctly from before, you had the radiator cleaned out, right?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Schools been real busy so I haven't had the time to. It was not over heating, so I was going to put it off till Thanksgiving brake.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Schools been real busy so I haven't had the time to. It was not over heating, so I was going to put it off till Thanksgiving brake.

Then I would pull the radiator and take it to a shop to have it boiled out and flow tested. It seems like 90 percent of the time an overheating Rover needs the radiator cleaned out.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
You can run it if you want and end up with two LR's (one a 97 D1 and one a 99 D2) needing blocks due to over heating. I am so frustrated I almost drove (okay okay pushed) them off a cliff!! :ar15:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Get a scan gauge and get the exact temperature they are running at. The factory gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

-Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven