Overland Expo: North America's First Overland Exposition

JPFreek1

Explorer
The concept of this is a great one and I'm glad to see it's being done; however, not to be too critical but is it just me or does anyone else recognize that overlanding isn't something that only the affluent should be able to enjoy but rather anyone for a passion for outdoor and off-highway adventure should be able to benefit from, regardless of economics? Given the state of the economy and the average family looking for means to be able to travel on a budget and do so responsibly, something like this seems awfully expensive even with the experienced line-up planned for participation.

jcbrandon

Explorer
... is it just me or does anyone else recognize that overlanding isn't something that only the affluent should be able to enjoy ...something like this seems awfully expensive ...

I agree that outdoor travel and adventure shouldn't just be for the well-to-do. And it isn't. It's one of the least expensive things a family can do together. Most of the folks I see out on the trails seem to be pretty average, middle-income, typical American families.

Regarding the Overland Expo: I see that as an opportunity to save money. A family that has been on a couple of weekend trips and is looking to expand their horizons will be wondering what gear to invest in and how to plan for longer and more challenging journeys. They might be looking into expensive vehicle upgrades like a winch and locking diffs. I think the training opportunities at Overland Expo would help those folks figure out how best to spend their money. Or maybe not spend it at all. A bit of time on a few obstacles with an experienced hand nearby will be tremendously valuable. They might decide to redirect the dollars they were going to spend on vehicle upgrades toward camping gear. Or on fuel and food for more trips.

I think the entry fee for a family is a great value.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I agree that outdoor travel and adventure shouldn't just be for the well-to-do. And it isn't. It's one of the least expensive things a family can do together. Most of the folks I see out on the trails seem to be pretty average, middle-income, typical American families.

Regarding the Overland Expo: I see that as an opportunity to save money. A family that has been on a couple of weekend trips and is looking to expand their horizons will be wondering what gear to invest in and how to plan for longer and more challenging journeys. They might be looking into expensive vehicle upgrades like a winch and locking diffs. I think the training opportunities at Overland Expo would help those folks figure out how best to spend their money. Or maybe not spend it at all. A bit of time on a few obstacles with an experienced hand nearby will be tremendously valuable. They might decide to redirect the dollars they were going to spend on vehicle upgrades toward camping gear. Or on fuel and food for more trips.

I think the entry fee for a family is a great value.

:iagree: Excellent points.
As for the cost, I have to pay roughly $600 - $800 for registration for a 5-day medical conference, plus (usually) airfare ($300-500), and hotel/meal costs ($1000+) for 6-7 days.
The Overland Expo cost is very reasonable IMO.
And, more fun!

safari.gif

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The simplest two-day pass is 25 bucks. Not sure how much more affordable it could get!

I think Roseann has done a really good job of insuring that anyone can participate at some level. Even the all-inclusive $455-per-couple package translates to three nights in a good hotel, with nothing else included.

JPFreek1

Explorer
The simplest two-day pass is 25 bucks. Not sure how much more affordable it could get!

I think Roseann has done a really good job of insuring that anyone can participate at some level. Even the all-inclusive $455-per-couple package translates to three nights in a good hotel, with nothing else included.

Thanks for the clarification on simple two-day passes. Somewhere along the lines I obviously didn't see this so it's good to see that's an option out there.

As far as comparing to hotel rooms, etc I don't think that's a particularly fair comparison because you're talking about two different types of vacation experiences. Either way, I didn't say what I said to create any discord. My intent was to merely raise a question about the focus of the event in relation to its perceived economic feasibility for the average "Joe." And I only raise that question because I've spoken to several different ExPo members away from ExPo and when asked if they had plans to attend, the consensus was that it was too expensive so obviously there are many out there who aren't aware of some of the less-expensive options to attend. Again, thanks for clarifying.

Rexsname

Explorer
Will there be any way to do the day pass and pay our way into the dinner? Our finances are really tight as well but I really REALLY want to sit down and share a meal with the folks that have given me so much support and encouragement over the past few months.

Not that I wouldn't want to do the whole magilla but I just don't see that as being doable.

REX

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Will there be any way to do the day pass and pay our way into the dinner? Our finances are really tight as well but I really REALLY want to sit down and share a meal with the folks that have given me so much support and encouragement over the past few months.
REX

Hi Rexsname,

I'm afraid the dinner is available to the Overland Experience participants - that's going to total, including our wonderful exhibitors, nearly 400 people, and to keep it do-able, we need to keep those numbers close to that. If we opened it up to all comers, it could easily become a monster that was very impersonal.

So sorry about that - maybe next year you can come for the whole Experience!

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
You can always arrange to meet for lunch, snacks, drinks, whatever, outside (or inside, I suppose) the ExPo site.

safari.gif

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for all the comments and questions - we're filling up fast, just to let you guys know. There will be limited number of Overland Experience packages available, and the price will go up after February if we aren't full by then. And only the Overland Experience packages get access to all the instruction and the social times. See above.

As for being expensive, I really worked hard to keep the pricing really affordable, for so much included instruction and top-flight presenters. This is not just a pay-and-walk-around Expo, it's a truly rich learning experience.
And having kids come free and providing day care is as affordable as it gets, Frank!

I can't see offering so much instruction (have you looked at the website?) for so low a price - as well as keeping the exhibition prices low, too, so that the great overlanding companies out there can also afford to come.

Last edited:

1speed

Explorer
I'm trying really hard to make it to this event as I'm thinking the "on the road, off the road, writing, photography" thing may be in my future. :drool: If I do make it, I will have to fly into PHX and rent a small motorhome as the wife is not too keen on tent camping. For the driving courses will there be demo/rental vehicles available or is it just "run what ya brung"? Either way I'm really excited about the prospect of being there and then spending the next 3 or 4 days after the event exploring the area.

Rexsname

Explorer
I understand that the price is worth it, It's just that I don't have it.........

I do hope to be able to do the day passes. That being said, Anybody wanna go camping off-site yet fairly close?

REX

Clark White

Explorer
I understand that the price is worth it, It's just that I don't have it.........

I do hope to be able to do the day passes. That being said, Anybody wanna go camping off-site yet fairly close?

REX

I might be up for that, I don't know yet if I will be able to attend, or if I will take all the classes, etc...either way, being from there I can point you in the direction of some close yet beautiful camping!!! :elkgrin:

Clark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach