Overland Expo West, 2014

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
take your volume down...this was the only soundtrack available at the moment...

:)

[video=vimeo;95819334]https://vimeo.com/95819334[/video]

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Did I really read it needed more carnival food and a parking lot? Why don't they just move it to down town Phoenix so we can have a McDonalds, Holiday Inn and a light rail system? I thought the show was the best one yet and it even had a time share vendor for those with a more discerning taste. Thumbs up to an exceptional show this year!

photo_i

Explorer
Our nephew in FJ and a RangeRover doing off-road ballet :)

ExPo-offroad-1.jpg

Exploring Elements checking out the clearance.

ExPo-offroad-2.jpg

Earth Roamer has lots of supporters.

ExPo-offroad-3.jpg

Our camping neighbor doing great job in his ambulance.

ExPo-offroad-4.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
My wife and I had a great time. We were able to camp in the vendor area with the FWC guy's which was awesome! We met so many cool people from all over the place which led to great story's around the camp fire. I second the lack of food, and was really disappointed in the Overland Expo swag, the shirts sucked. I look forward to next year.

Did you check the Overland Journal and Expedition Portal shirts? We have a really cool one with a map on it for OJ. it will be on the store very soon.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Sorry to stir the pot... (no pun intended) I can't believe that people are whining about lack of food vendors...?
Isn't one of the tennets of overlanding something like-um, being self sufficient? You know? like procuring, storing, transporting and cooking your own food?
Hell they even offer classes on it at theExPo for crying out loud!!!

RttH

Sorry to stir the pot... (no pun intended) I can't believe that people are whining about lack of food vendors...?
Isn't one of the tennets of overlanding something like-um, being self sufficient? You know? like procuring, storing, transporting and cooking your own food?

I agree! We didn't make it out this year but have always treated this as a BIG Camp out! Last year people complained about lack of showers. Next it will be lack of wifi... ;)

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Sad to say I missed the expo this year. I was planning on heading out Friday afternoon for the day but changed my mind that morning.

In ten years of living in Flagstaff and thousands of miles riding my bike on Lake Mary road and around Mormon Lake I can count on one hand the times I have been truly buzzed by a truck or RV...usually a tourist's rental RV or the random big rig.

The bike lane/shoulder is wide and I rarely fear for my life as locals almost universally move over to provide plenty of room. Boat and water hauling pickups, forest service fire trucks, even the stereotypical beat down pickup with the dogs in the back, the rifle in the window, and the quads on the trailer that I expect from years of riding to shout an expletive to me as they pass....almost always move into the other lane and give a wave.

This was not the case last weekend.

I have never been so disgusted by drivers that were obviously heading out to Mormon Lake. My girlfriend an I were forced off the shoulder close to a dozen times by trucks and motos.

The motos sad to say were almost worse than the trucks riding two abreast and often giving us little more than a foot.

Friday I was so mad that I wished I had had my go pro on my handlebar to take video into the county sheriff and complain. I have cooled down since then and figure that won't do much. This post probably won't do much either.

Please be considerate to bicycles on the side of the road. I hope it is just ignorance and distraction and not aggressiveness. One is very exposed on a bicycle and when you can't see what is coming from behind an extra few feet of room is greatly appreciated.

Rant over...

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I agree! We didn't make it out this year but have always treated this as a BIG Camp out! Last year people complained about lack of showers. Next it will be lack of wifi... ;)

I guess I'm a geek... I made some pretty gourmet meals last year... good times. Showers? ha! I you don't have one just pack a few of the giant towel sized body wipes! If they're good enough in the field, they're even better at mormon lake! ;)

It's human nature to complain.... just wouldn't expect much of it from the "overlanding" crowd.... If I go back maybe I'll pack a bunch of MRE's and make some extra spending cash? lol

RttH

Lots of people flew in on day passes, I guess. And also restaurants (at the lodge and pizza place cross the road) kept running out of food. What kind of pizza is it if it has no cheese or pizza sauce? :)

I can see for those who flew in where food would be an issue. On that I stand corrected. :)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

I didn't go this year, but in years past I know I've made it my mission to pack my schedule with as many classes as possible. This is a conscious trade for spending some money for a quick mid-day meal prepared by someone else so that I have more time to pack my brain and tour the grounds in the limited time I'm not in-class. To me, ExPo is more of a trade show or seminar than it is an excuse to camp out.

That said, I'm sure most of the people noting the issues with vendors are only noting them as feedback for next year, not serious whining or complaining.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I didn't go this year, but in years past I know I've made it my mission to pack my schedule with as many classes as possible. This is a conscious trade for spending some money for a quick mid-day meal prepared by someone else so that I have more time to pack my brain and tour the grounds in the limited time I'm not in-class. To me, ExPo is more of a trade show or seminar than it is an excuse to camp out.

That said, I'm sure most of the people noting the issues with vendors are only noting them as feedback for next year, not serious whining or complaining.

fair enough. I know that last year the web page mentioned that there was very limited food available. I'm sure that eventually there will be a food court....

I quite enjoy the camping aspect.... contrary to my usual thirst for solitude...

mikejulietpapa

I just got back from my first time at the Expo and it was awesome. I wish I was able to get around more than I did but the community seemed incredible. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming of questions about their vehicles and setup. I can't wait to get more into it.

Here's some pics I took:

oex-14-day-5-3.jpg

oex-14-day-3-41.jpg

oex-14-day-3-32-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-3-31-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-3-35-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-3-37-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-4-13-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-4-33-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-4-48-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-5-11-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-4-6.jpg

oex-14-day-4-34-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-4-31-700x466.jpg

oex-14-day-4-17-700x466.jpg

oex-14-mobile-15.jpg

Last edited:

4 Wheel Parts

Purveyor of Parts
I was there this year on an official duty but hoping to bring the 80 next year. It was a great event and I had a lot of fun and met a lot of really great people.
I think I need one of these!
20140517_163547.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk