Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

Lecoq

Explorer
Looking good! Now you just need to paint the roof box to match!

Thanks. I don't think I'll be painting the roof box. I might get it wrapped in vinyl at some point to hide the scratches on it.

Can I confirm what lift and tire size you are running?

Hi, I'm running Old Man Emu heavy duty front and rear springs along with Bilstein 5100 shocks and an adjustable JKS track bar in the front. The tires are BFG Mud Terrain 255-75-17 (wheels and tires are off a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon). I had rubbing issues in the front when backing up but it's now gone since I installed the ARB bumper and trimmed the inner front of the splash guards.

On a side note, I'm thinking of going up an inch more on the suspension but I can't seem to find 1 inch spacers anywhere. All I found was the 2 inch spacers everyone has.

Lecoq

Explorer
LOL. I thought of splitting them in half but the extra effort required might be too much. :costumed-smiley-007

madZJ

Observer
I put 3/4" spacers all around with OME 10mm spacers up front to go with my OME HD lift and Bilsteins. I've got 21.5" hub to fender in the front and 21" in the rear. 3/4" spacers were found on Ebay.

bbbflash

Observer
How do you fine she rides with the OME HD? That is the combo I am thinking of running, but had a nice talk with a shop owner who was thinking it be best I didn't do a HD shock as it is my DD and I am not a hard core rock crawler. We mostly do day drives on Forrest tracks on he weekend and load it up to camp once a month. I am looking at a 2" shock/spring lift and running 245/70/17.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
How do you fine she rides with the OME HD? That is the combo I am thinking of running, but had a nice talk with a shop owner who was thinking it be best I didn't do a HD shock as it is my DD and I am not a hard core rock crawler. We mostly do day drives on Forrest tracks on he weekend and load it up to camp once a month. I am looking at a 2" shock/spring lift and running 245/70/17.

The HD suspension are more for running loaded than extreme rock crawling

Lecoq

Explorer

I drove it for almost 3 months without the bumper. It was a bit stiff but nothing unbearable. Now that the front bumper is on it's a lot more comfortable.

Chris00WJ

Did the cops hassle you at all for no front bumper? Mine is currently off while I finish building it and I'd like to still take the WJ out once in a while.

Lecoq

Explorer
Haven't had any issues. I drive mine daily and came across a few cops without problems. I'm sure they could fine you for it if they were bored or actively looking for something.

jpat30

Adventurer
I have got over a year on the OME HD setup on my WJ. I love it! The jeep should have definitely come this way stock for sure. For a DD/WW, you cant beat the setup.

bbbflash

Observer
I drove it for almost 3 months without the bumper. It was a bit stiff but nothing unbearable. Now that the front bumper is on it's a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for that. I am not sure if that helps as if I am not going camping and loading the jeep up as much as I would like. Most of our adventures are day trips.

Lecoq

Explorer
Few more things got sorted out this week.

Since I installed the Mud Terrains on the truck I've been noticing some camber wear on the front tires. I had the alignment check a month ago and it turns out that I had a major problem. The driver side was sitting at -2.9 degrees and the passenger side at -1.4 degrees. I started looking into getting adjustable ball joints to fix the problem but the most I could get was a 2 degree correction ball joint. That would still leave me with a -.9 degree problem on the driver side. To make matters worst, since the last trail run, my front VariLock lsd was no longer working.

I searched for the past month for a used axle with the right gear ratio, low mileage and a working lsd. Finally found one on Sunday and I got around to install it last night. I also got an ARB diff cover to make fluid changes easier.

I'm planning on getting an ARB front locker at some point but for now I decided to hold off until I get the rear bumper built. I'm excited to see how the QuadraDrive system does on the trails now that it's fully functional.

Here's a pavement shot with a friend's 4th Gen 4Runner :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp